NGD! 2013 Chicago Blue Les Paul Traditional

Reaction score
Very happy!

A little late (received the guitar last Thursday), and only now I realized I forgot to do the usual NGD routine! :applause:

I fell in love with this color the moment I saw the pictures at the Gibson website. It was really love at first sight - "I AM going to own this guitar someday," is what I thought.

Fast forward 7 years and somehow that dream finally came true with the help of my good friend Leo Saba. I managed to sell some of my gear in order to get the funds and then we proceeded to hunt down the guitar. We found this 2013 on Reverb and bought it. It was then shipped from York, PA all the way down to my home in São Paulo, Brazil. I was scared to death it would be damaged in transit, or overtaxed, or stolen... but it finally arrived safe and sound.

She is just as beautiful as I thought she would be. She is not very heavy (9.2lbs even with a solid back). Plays and sounds fantastic as well! I am a really happy guy right now!

I couldn't believe this top. It's PERFECT.

She came with this (I think) Graphtech nut. It looks terrible to me, but it's working perfectly so.... I might just leave it there. Most of the mounting screws were replaced by black ones too.

The only 'major' problem was under the pickguard - some deep marks from the bracket nut - I'm leaving the guard on this one so no problem. For some reason the bracket is also installed in a second hole under the stock screw hole (the screw is bigger than stock) - no idea why.

Loved it under stage lights as well.

The neck pickup stopped working during my last gig so we had to open her up and see what happened. Neck PUP wire came loose so we tucked it back in for the night. The only problem is that I overtightened the backplates and they now got cracks all over them... :doh::facepalm:

Was pissed when I got home but oh well... It's just plastic anyway :fingersx:

Will add Historic Pickup Rings and 500k vol pots later on. They should be here next month (with another guitar :naughty: )

Could not be happier!

endial

Reaction score
Don't ever overtighten screws in wood products. That's for mechanics and engineering. I say this because you mentioned changing pickup rings.

Beautiful guitar!

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
Not very often do I see these Chicago Blues pop up but I will have to agree, there's something about them that makes you look at them like a drooling idiot. That's why I got mine, I just couldn't get it out of my head. 13 was definitely a great year for the Lester.

Macronaut

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
It's hilarious to see a blue LP branded "traditional" when it's an utterly non-traditional, modern finish.
Having a variety of color of each model is nice...IMHO. Though when some hear Standard, they tend to think of the classic standard color(s). When they hear Classic, some tend to think of a traditional classic color(s) for that model. And they hear Traditional, They may think what the standard or classic colors for that model have been.....see where I'm going with this???? It can be confusing when referring to what's the classic, the standard or what the traditional and not referring to just the models...i.e. Standard/Classic/Traditional.

Personally, I want more choices of finishes of each model...traditional finish of not. Other non-traditional options for each model are nice too.

We all know that when it comes to Gibson, so many lines are blurred. Some good, some bad. But, much of it has given us far more choices to take of leave.

Last edited:

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Fan freaking tastic...

I never appreciated Blue les Pauls until recently....
And I’ve gotten 2 in as many weeks...

Yours is stunning..

HNGD
Post pics when u put on the new rings

-Chris

519tbarr

Reaction score
Incredible colour and great year 2013 for the Traditional!
That's a sweet LP!

Very happy!

A little late (received the guitar last Thursday), and only now I realized I forgot to do the usual NGD routine! :applause:

I fell in love with this color the moment I saw the pictures at the Gibson website. It was really love at first sight - "I AM going to own this guitar someday," is what I thought.

Fast forward 7 years and somehow that dream finally came true with the help of my good friend Leo Saba. I managed to sell some of my gear in order to get the funds and then we proceeded to hunt down the guitar. We found this 2013 on Reverb and bought it. It was then shipped from York, PA all the way down to my home in São Paulo, Brazil. I was scared to death it would be damaged in transit, or overtaxed, or stolen... but it finally arrived safe and sound.

She is just as beautiful as I thought she would be. She is not very heavy (9.2lbs even with a solid back). Plays and sounds fantastic as well! I am a really happy guy right now!

I couldn't believe this top. It's PERFECT.

She came with this (I think) Graphtech nut. It looks terrible to me, but it's working perfectly so.... I might just leave it there. Most of the mounting screws were replaced by black ones too.

The only 'major' problem was under the pickguard - some deep marks from the bracket nut - I'm leaving the guard on this one so no problem. For some reason the bracket is also installed in a second hole under the stock screw hole (the screw is bigger than stock) - no idea why.

Loved it under stage lights as well.

The neck pickup stopped working during my last gig so we had to open her up and see what happened. Neck PUP wire came loose so we tucked it back in for the night. The only problem is that I overtightened the backplates and they now got cracks all over them... :doh::facepalm:

Was pissed when I got home but oh well... It's just plastic anyway :fingersx:

Will add Historic Pickup Rings and 500k vol pots later on. They should be here next month (with another guitar :naughty: )

Could not be happier!

scozz

Reaction score
Congrats ‘JP’....great looking top! :applause:

moreles

Reaction score
I'm not knocking the blue -- though I don't like blue guitars -- just laughing at Gibson for positioning it as a "traditional." But if they were honest and called it "Re-imagined" or "Contemporary," buyers might treat it like Kryptonite. Lots of people want brand new old guitars... vintage contemporary... retro-futuristic. The human mind is strange.

OBLP

Reaction score
Just a tad darker than my '14 Ocean Blue Traditional

kherman

Reaction score
Very nice looking guitar. Congrats!

As for the term "Traditional".
I thought it just meant traditional C shaped neck and 12" fret board radius. Instead of the compound radius fret board and assymetrical neck shape introduced in 2008 on the LP Standards.
Nothing to do with colors.