NGD 2013 20th Anniversary R7 Black Beauty 3-Pickup

Bigcat2017

Reaction score
Just received my new axe, 20th Anniversary 1957 Les Paul Black Beauty 3-Pickup
Few points attract me:
1. Custom Buckers
2. Deep-set neck tenon, hot-hide glued
3. 4.25kg (9.38lbs) weight
4. One-piece mahogany body & ebony fingerboard (I don't like to pay so much for paper)
5. Non-yellowed binding
6. Gloss finish (I prefer to let my guitars get old with me)
7. 100 limited with special COA, special dust cover even a set of white gloves
8. 20th Anniversary (of historic reissue series) edition...I doubt if we will see the 30th?:fingersx:

After this batch, I never see one Custom has #4~6 at the same time.
You like the real woody fingerboard? Pay more and go to the true historic, but true historic has yellow binding only.

I know Chicago Music Exchange has some 68 custom ($5998) have #4~5 but VOS finish only.
Maybe made 2 measure is the only way now?

Enough talking, here is the beauty:

This is signed by some big men from Custom Shop and Gibson Japan :cheers2:

BTW, I think the original wiring limits its capabilities, will upgrade to unleash it soon.:dude:

Last edited:

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
Beautiful! HNGD!

Have you thought about swapping the tuners to wafflebacks without metal buttons? Should be a direct swap with no drilling. Either way, the guitar is awesome!

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice one, congrats!

If you like the Custombuckers in it (I do) the harness Jonesyblues makes works really well to give you the tones you can't get stock. You have to change the switch too though. The ones that give you all the OOP options of course require 4 conductor leads.

Looks great with the metal buttons, but yeah the swap is super easy if you're into that.

jktxs

Reaction score
I know Chicago Music Exchange has some 68 custom ($5998) have #4~5 but VOS finish only.
CORRECTION: This guitar has a Mahogany Top, not a Maple top
According to the video description. Looks like the bridge is Nashville, so it's a mix of specs from all the different reissues and the modern custom.

Bigcat2017

Reaction score
Beautiful! HNGD!
Have you thought about swapping the tuners to wafflebacks without metal buttons? Should be a direct swap with no drilling. Either way, the guitar is awesome!
I'm satisfied with the vibe, besides I have a R9 with plastic knobs.

Nice one, congrats!
If you like the Custombuckers in it (I do) the harness Jonesyblues makes works really well to give you the tones you can't get stock. You have to change the switch too though. The ones that give you all the OOP options of course require 4 conductor leads.
Looks great with the metal buttons, but yeah the swap is super easy if you're into that.
Mr. Fett,
I've watched your demo video about it, really informative! But personally I like to try the 6-way switch approved by Jimmy Page.:naughty:

Dilver

Reaction score
According to the video description. Looks like the bridge is Nashville, so it's a mix of specs from all the different reissues and the modern custom.
Looks like a regular ABR in the photos...

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Love it. Just beautiful!

My next LP is going to be an R7B with two pickups. Hard to find, but it will be worth it.

KBMelb

Reaction score
Beautiful! HNGD!

Is indeed a direct swap and will lower the weight a couple ounces. I did the swap with my 60th Anniversary '54RI and it made a huge difference as far as vintage appearance.

Bigcat2017

Reaction score
Love it. Just beautiful!
My next LP is going to be an R7B with two pickups. Hard to find, but it will be worth it.
Thanks!
If that's hard to find around your country, consider to check Digimart for Japanese goods, I found mine there. (if you do read Japanese or find a way to translate it)

BTW Les Paul Custom is a good target since its fingerboard is not rosewood in general. When I contacted the seller, the first thing they said is they don't ship rosewood stuff oversea. God damn CITES.
Or you may find a resourceful agency to handle the shipping...give you some smuggling vibe!

indeedido

Reaction score
Guitar looks fantastic! I love 3 pickup guitars. I don't know much about the 20th anniversary. Is this a repro of a 1977 LPC of a 1957 LPC? The 20th anniversary throws me for a '57. That makes it 1977 but this is a new guitar not '77. Educate me please.

Bigcat2017

Reaction score
Guitar looks fantastic! I love 3 pickup guitars. I don't know much about the 20th anniversary. Is this a repro of a 1977 LPC of a 1957 LPC? The 20th anniversary throws me for a '57. That makes it 1977 but this is a new guitar not '77. Educate me please.
It's a '57 reissue and 20th anniversary is for the Custom Shop historic series (I know it's kinda confusing)
For details, you may check the link from the first line of my original post.

Latest Threads