NGD 2011 Traditional Pro Goldtop

Gridlock

Reaction score
These are the ultimate workingman's Les Pauls. Great playing guitars and best bang-for-your-buck, period! Beautiful!

However, the Goldtop/Darkbacks that had the 50s neck were the Traditional Pro IIs that were offered from 2012-2014. The original Traditional Pro (Series I) Goldtop/Darkback that was offered from 2010-2011 only had the 60s neck (and was limited to 200 2010s and 400 2011s). Since you said it was a 2011, it would have the 60s slim neck. The photos support this: the 2012+ Traditional Pro II / III / IV / V versions all had the pull-boost feature which meant they had a battery compartment on the control cavity plate in the back. The 2010-2011 Traditional Pro (I) version did not. The photos above don't have that, which would be correct for a 2010-2011.

Okay, now I’m worried about the 60’s neck. The guitar was listed as a Traditional Pro II with a 50’s neck. Evidently, this is not the case.

I like the bigger 50’s necks on my Standard Traditional, and on the R8 and R7 that I’ve previously owned. I owned a Goldtop Les Paul Classic that the neck was just too slim.

Does anybody have experience with a 2011 Traditional Pro?

Help is appreciated.

The guitar is is not expected to arrive until the end of the week.

integra evan

Reaction score
Very nice. From my understanding all the Trad Pros had the 60s slim taper. I'm a fan of the 50s neck myself too, so I hope it works out for you!

Gridlock

Reaction score
Very nice. From my understanding all the Trad Pros had the 60s slim taper. I'm a fan of the 50s neck myself too, so I hope it works out for you!
Guess I’ll have to wait and see.

Thanks guys.

Breezin

Reaction score

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
FWIW, I had a 2011 Traditional pro ii. It was a fine first rate guitar. I did change the pickups, but that's probably as much to do with my inability to leave things alone. It also damn sure had a 50's neck on it. Whether it was on to the 2012 specs, or weirdness at Gibson was happening, it was stamped with 2011 model on the back of the headstock and had a 50's neck. I remember so vividly because that was the moment when I understood what the all the hoopla about neck sizes was. I was sold on 50's necks from then.

Aside from specs and pickups, I felt this was structurally a standard quality piece. Always liked that guitar. Sold it to fund a '75 Goldtop that I could drop P90's into. That's a story for a different thread. I've since owned, and currently still own traditionals because of my great first experience with tis line with the 2011 model.

laterider

Reaction score
I have an Ebony 2011 Trad Pro II. Mine has the 60's neck but I remember when I was looking, one of the colors at the time had the 50's neck, I thought it was the HB at the time but I've found that is incorrect so it could have been the GT.

These are great guitars, mine had the 57 neck and BB3 bridge pickup - good set but the only time I've ever had a Gibson pickup die on me - the BB3. I've since removed all the push pull stuff and put in 490/498, I love it and won't ever sell.
Hopefully yours comes in with the 50's and all is well.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Just an update, the guitar definitely had the 60’s neck and not the 50’s neck as advertised. A 2011 Pro and not the Pro II.

The guitar was returned. A beautiful guitar though, and in like new condition. Someone will end up with this very nice guitar.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an update, the guitar definitely had the 60’s neck and not the 50’s neck as advertised. A 2011 Pro and not the Pro II.

The guitar was returned. A beautiful guitar though, and in like new condition. Someone will end up with this very nice guitar.

i figured, based on the photos. Too bad...those are great guitars. Well, just keep your eyes out for a Trad Pro II.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember clearly in 2011 there was a Traditional Pro 50's in Honeyburst with a 50's neck that was a GC exclusive model. The Traditional Pro 50's that year was only available in Honeyburst. All other regular Traditional Pro's that year in the other finishes without the 50's designation had a 60's neck.

The reason I remember this so well is that I purchased a 2011 Traditional Pro 50's in Honeyburst that year and remember it had a huge neck. It was the first Les Paul that I ever owned and was the guitar that sold me on 50's necks. Was not aware at the time of the difference between 50's and 60's necks, but ever since, I now avoid guitars with 60's Slim Tapers. Love the fat rounded 50's neck.

Last edited:

Latest Threads