NGD: 2011 R9

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Many years since I bought a Gibson CS Les Paul Reissue, and then somehow (@flameburst... ;)) found myself drawn to a 2011 R9 with a weird and mis-matched top, and in a relatively unusual colour called Paradise Burst. Kind of like a watermelon cherry, and not obvious from these pics, but with a burst of yellow round the outside. When the sun shines round here again I'll try to get some shots of the top that show this - in artificial light it just looks darker round the edges. Really nice guitar in pretty much unused condition.
IMG_20200907_215305.jpg
IMG_20200907_215325.jpg
IMG_20200907_215333.jpg

A quick setup after receiving, and I love it. Plays great, good '59 neck feel, haven't weighed it but around 8 lbs 8oz at a guess (just looked back at the Ebay listing, 8 lb 6oz evidently). Burstbucker pickups sound great (don't tell anyone, but reminiscent of OTPG in some ways), and if they are potted, have enough microphonics left in them to sound open and airy. My last R9 was a 2001, and I changed quite a bit, and had quite a bit done to it to make it into a guitar I could get on with (pots, caps, inlays, pickups, neck reshape, binding rolled, some work to get fingerboard flat when truss-rod at normal tension, which meant a refret). I might change a couple of things (pickup covers...) on the 10 years younger version, but I might not. This is just great straight out of the box.

Liam

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Never saw one of those. Congrats!
I found while researching, possibly from this forum, that it was a one year only finish, and they evidently made 25 of them. Going to guess that they had some flat-sawn flame tops that would not have appealed to many in more traditional sunburst finishes, as the flame is kind of random, and has quite a few mineral flecks and streaks. So why not try something a bit different?

Clearly this failed as a popular finish option, but while I was looking for a nice "Sweet Cherry" R9, a couple of these turned up on Ebay. This one floated my boat as a "keep or flip", but I think it's a keeper.

Funny how the "reject" tops are sometimes the most convincingly authentic. Back in 2008 I should have bought a new R8 that was probably downgraded from an R9 due to lack of flame, but was the best guitar in the shop, and had the most beautiful eastern maple "gentle flame" top.

Hopefully I have more than made up for missing out on that one!

Liam

bblooz

Reaction score
Congrats on your new guitar! I think your description of watermelon colour is pretty accurate

themollusk79

Reaction score
Funny how the "reject" tops are sometimes the most convincingly authentic. Back in 2008 I should have bought a new R8 that was probably downgraded from an R9 due to lack of flame, but was the best guitar in the shop, and had the most beautiful eastern maple "gentle flame" top.
To me, the mis-matched tops look more true to the originals. Plus, they're cheaper!

Truth011

Reaction score
That is a super cool guitar!

I had a 2010 R9 with burstbucker pickups and thought I would make it better. I went through bare knuckle mules and throbak mt102 sets and never thought the guitar sounded as good. You just never know.....

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What a bizarre color and top. I love it.

flameburst

Reaction score
Liam, I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of grabbing a couple of the sellers photos of your guitar...
paradise.jpg

Attachments

pjholland

Reaction score
Reading the thread and seeing a reference to watermelon, I thought....uh oh this thing is going to be F.U.G.L.Y but it's not. I don't even think the top is all that mis-matched, looks pretty good to me!

Gridlock

Reaction score
A good-looking, cool, and unique guitar. Congratulations.

Latest Threads