NGD 2010 R9 Lemon Burst - stock pickups?

Reaction score
Just got this R9 yesterday. My first custom shop guitar of any sort and it's incredible! I compared it to some more recent reissues while buying and I much preferred this one. It had a much more full sound that you would associate with a Les Paul, and it just resonated and felt natural to play. I didn't want to put it down or let it go!

The pickups are not really a big deal, but I'm interested to know if they are stock or not. I actually don't usually like Gibson pickups all that much, but these do sound great. I had a look at the cavity when I got it home and it didn't look stock at all, definitely not stock soldering and the bridge pickup is a 4 wire conductor. I pulled the pickups out and the bridge is a BB#3 dated 2010 and the neck is a BB#2 although the rest was too faded to make out the date. For all I know there could've been other pickups in the guitar at some point and these were swapped back in, but as far as I know the stock should be BB#2 bridge and BB#1 neck. Any ideas?

cdrBDiP.jpg

Thebigt71

Reaction score
I’m my opinion, burstbuckers 2 and 3 are far superior to custombuckers.

I have pulled all custombuckers out of my reissue les pauls. Too microponic for what I play.

I’ll be posting a set of custombuckers for sale next week on this forum for $250 for the pair.

Beautiful LP you have too!

Reaction score

I have pulled all custombuckers out of my reissue les pauls. Too microponic for what I play.

I’ll be posting a set of custombuckers for sale next week on this forum for $250 for the pair.

I didn't like the CBs at all compared to the BBs. Extremely bright, much thinner in comparison, less 'tone' or character, and the BBs are much more dynamic to picking. With the BBs you can pick really hard and they will push harder, whereas the CBs just seem to flatten out and don't have any more output or anything to give.

Thebigt71

Reaction score
I didn't like the CBs at all compared to the BBs. Extremely bright, much thinner in comparison, less 'tone' or character, and the BBs are much more dynamic to picking. With the BBs you can pick really hard and they will push harder, whereas the CBs just seem to flatten out and don't have any more output or anything to give.
Pretty much my experience too with custombuckers vs burstbuckers.

I have a set of burstbuckers 1 and 2 in my ES335 and they sound absolutely brilliant in that guitar.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Congrats HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

I know it's not much help, but maybe Gibson CS can tell you what was in her originally?

CoolRene

Reaction score

“for what I play” there you said it: I prefer the CustomBuckers for their low wind and unpotted characteristic tone… To each his own !
Congrats to this nice LP.

Thebigt71

Reaction score
“for what I play” there you said it: I prefer the CustomBuckers for their low wind and unpotted characteristic tone… To each his own !
Congrats to this nice LP.
you should have bought the set of custombuckers I listed for sale.

searswashere

Reaction score
2 and 3 are the hotter pair IIRC. I had 1 and 2 in my 2021 R9 and they sounded pretty good. They've since flown the coop in a 2008 G0.

DanD

Reaction score
Very nice! HNGD

Should be BB1 and BB2 from the factory but you never know with Gibson.

Special dealer runs had split coils (4 wire pups) and other options.

It’s a great looker and pups are easy enough to swap in and out.

Enjoy!

Latest Threads