NGD 2008 SG Classic

Tanqueray

Reaction score
My SG Standard and I weren't getting along as well as I had hoped so I sold it and bought a used SG Classic instead. :laugh2:

This guitar is amazing. It's extremely well made and it sounds killer. Nice sized neck - not too fat, not too thin, unlike some others I've tried. No neck dive at all, which was something I had to deal with on the Standard. The P90s are awesome. I feel like SGs and P90s are a match made in heaven.

Any who, here are some pics:

Guitaraxe

Reaction score
Sweet! I like the dot inlay with bound neck look on Gibsons. Congrats!

mdubya

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. :applause:

Time to subscribe to the superfuzzymomma channel on the yt. :naughty:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p15wEnbtS8[/ame]

Steve_F

Reaction score
I've owned my SG Classic for 10 years and I'll never get rid of it. It plays and sounds great and it's totally stock. It was also my cheapest Gibson. These guitars offer you huge bang for the buck if you are into the P-90 SG tone. (I don't know why anyone wouldn't be into that tone)

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
Congrats! Awesome looking SG! Do P90s make it sound more like a Les Paul or a Strat as compared to the Standard's Humbuckers?

TLTeo

Reaction score
Welcome to the SG Classic club, great guitar!

Congrats! Awesome looking SG! Do P90s make it sound more like a Les Paul or a Strat as compared to the Standard's Humbuckers?
If i had to pick one guitar i'd say more like a Tele, but really P90s have a tone of their own. It also depends on which guitar you came from; my first electric guitar was a strat copy so to me my SG sounds closer to a LP, but lots of people coming from a LP say the P90s have a more Fender-ish tone.

Tanqueray

Reaction score
Thanks. The P90s can do a very PAFish sound if you want them too. Original PAF humbuckers were meant to sound like a P90 but without the hum. Obviously, canceling out the hum changed the sound somewhat to create the tone the LP is famous for. So I'd say it's a lot closer to LP territory than Stratocaster. So far as I know, nothing else really sounds like a Strat besides a Strat. :)

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looks great!!!

:applause:

Good enough for Pete Townshend, good enough for us mere mortals.

HNGD!

Have FUN

Reaction score
I love your SG Classic

Nice finish, cool binding, a real Gibson.

Enjoy my friend .

JCarno

Reaction score
I have a 2009. Threw some witch hats on her. Looks even cooler now.
SG Classics are really fun to play and sound great. :cheers2:

74JMP

Reaction score
Got a 2006 in Nov. they might be the best buy in a low end Gibson. I had always seen them with gig bags and white knob tuners. Mine has a HSC like your but has klusons

like the sound but curious about putting a set of vintage 60's p-90 in

68Custom

Reaction score
That is one of my favorite guitars, and really it's about the best value for a Gibson. They sound fantastic and all the feel and finish of the higher priced standards are there. :)

Congrats to the OP! Nice choice.

I went crazy on these several years ago, but am back down to just one now (the meds kicked in ).

It's kind of weird ... one of these was an 05 and it was shaped slightly different with a more rounded rear control cover. :confused: The other was like an 07.

JCarno

Reaction score
Mine has the smaller one.
Love that pic with the 3 of them!! :thumb:

zendriveseven

Reaction score
Sweet! Congratulations and play it in good health! I had the same model a few years back and regret selling it. Really great sounding and playing guitars.

Quite a lot of new and pre-owned SGs popping up these days on MLP. Including my new 2016 SG Standard. I consider myself to be a Fender player, and the SG comes very close to the feel of a Tele or Strat. I'm not a shredder, but I do love that you can play way up in the Bm pentatonic with ease.

Here's the only video I have of me playing it if you're interested:

Acoustic solo at 3:10
SG Classic P90 solo at 3:40

http://youtu.be/kBwgG2VGvdQ

Latest Threads