NGD - 2008 Classic

RNP

Reaction score
A couple of months back I got a call from the local pawn shop saying he had a guitar he wanted me to identify (he also manages the bar my band was playing in every other month). He sent me a couple of photos and a day r two later I stopped off to try it out. He wasn't there, but I sent him a message saying he had a 2008 Les Paul Classic and it was worth up to $3000 Cdn with the right buyer. He then asked if I could take it home and clean it up (It had a broken jackplate and was somewhat grungy( and he would pay me to do so. After having tried it I jokingly said I wish I hadn't told him what it was worth, but I'll bring it back in a few months. He laughed and said yeah sure, take your time, it won't be going anywhere soon anyway.

I hemmed and hawed about making an offer for it, but I was also in the midst of buying my house, so that was the main priority. .. two months later house is bought and I now had to pay for a dumpster and some plumbing work. .. I mentioned I was thinking about the guitar and once again wished I hadn't told him it's worth, but if I didn't get it I had a friend who would and I had warned him of the price. . he said, not to worry. If I bought it I would be presently surprised at the price. ..

This past week, I got the bills from plumber and dumpster and it came in under what I had budgeted for, so today I went back and asked what he wanted .. he said $1700. .. Well, that was a no brainer, so I now have a 2008 Les Paul Classic. A model I was pretty unaware of until he sent me the initial photos. I'm not really a fan of high output pickups and on their own they sound harsh to me, but in a band setting. .. wow . this thing fits in nicely with all the others (also seen below)
classic.jpg
new wall of paul.jpg

Attachments

endial

Reaction score
Great story. And congrats!

What are the pups that are in it?

Edit: Also, I would consider keeping doing business with that cat in the future.

Saiko

Reaction score
Congrats on the NGD, I love the Classic series!

Curious George

Reaction score
Looks awesome! I've had a lot of gibbys from 2008/2009 and loved them all (and still have a few).

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Congrats on the house, but, as pretty as she is, you could have talked him down a bit more. I know, you're in Canada, but FMV for a used Classic would be more in the $1,200-$1,500 range.

Great score, nonetheless!:thumb:

RNP

Reaction score
Great story. And congrats!

What are the pups that are in it?

Edit: Also, I would consider keeping doing business with that cat in the future.
PIckups are the stock ones for this model - 496/500t.

This is the third guitar I have bought off him. A Strat and the 2008 Studio are the other two. He'll call me when something else comes in that I might be interested in.

Central Scrutinizer

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new guitar and house.

Bought a 2007 Classic last month. It was a closet queen. Someone put Seymour Duncan APH-1s in it with Orange drop Caps. Thought it was totally stock, the seller did not mention this and I neglected to ask.

Sweet playing and sounding guitar.

Latest Threads