NGD 2006 Unsung '58 Flying V

oneisnotenough

Reaction score
If you're selling your pride and joy on eBay... please put it on an auction finishing early on a Friday morning... and I'll grab it!

Picked up this yesterday and it's almost mint; even the 'gold' plated hardware has hardly aged. Electrics appear to be all original albeit showing their age (a bit of rattle and hum - I'll likely upgrade pots and wiring anyway) but it plays beautifully and the sound... so much richer, more resonant and acoustic than a '67 V I have from the same era.

IMG_4654.JPG
IMG_4655.jpg

I'm pleasantly surprised with how good the stock bridge (an Epi HOTCH thing) pu sounds although the neck (CH57) is a bit thin to my ears. I'm thinking maybe some Pearly Gates at some stage, but if anyone has some suggestions (something that will work well with the lovely chimey sustain the string-thru-body seems to be giving?) then fire away!

A little over 250 English pounds, including a matching Epi hardcase in good nick; happy!

BSeneca

Reaction score
I just bought the karina version yesterday. Arriving Monday. Never had one bought it on whim. I am a Les Paul guy but DAMN this thing looks bad ass! Enjoy yours

oneisnotenough

Reaction score
> Enjoy yours

I'm absolutely loving it!

I've got a bunch of guitars at the moment and this is the one I keep picking up (having been very much into Les Pauls for the past few years). I've still not quite figured out exactly why but I think the fretboard radius has a bit more curve in it and the rounded 50s neck seems to sit 'just right' in my hand, and it just says 'pick me up and don't put me down'... Dunno, I seem to be more relaxed playing it (in the V / classical between the legs position, which took some getting used to!) too and that helps...

I've been meaning to pop back here and update the post; some Gibson 490R/498T pickups (impulse buy - hide my eBay!) have gone in and I'm getting some fabulous tone out of it.

I'm thinking to sell the '67 V, and one of my Les Pauls, and look out for a Korina '58 one now - to put some more classic pickups in maybe (although the stock bridge pickup does sound pretty good to my ears as mentioned in the OP).

Do post back when you've had a play with yours, and enjoy!

Latest Threads