NGD: 2006 Gibson SG '62 Custom VOS Reissue

PontiacKendall

Reaction score
Just got this in last night and am completely thrilled so far. I bought it thinking it was a '61 custom reissue that someone had installed Grovers on. Turns out it's one of the '62 custom vos exclusives that was put out back in 2005/2006. I haven't pulled the pickups yet to see what's in there but they're either 57's or BB's. Sound great whichever they are :) Loving the factory aging and Grovers, looks fantastic.

PontiacKendall

Reaction score
I meant to ask this earlier... Does anyone know which pickups came stock in these in 2006? In 2005 they had 57 Classics but I've seen listings for 2006 models that stating BurstBuckers and others stating 57 Classics. The only identifying aspect on the back of the pickups is the white "Patent Applied For" sticker which is half torn off.

Brutus

Reaction score
I meant to ask this earlier... Does anyone know which pickups came stock in these in 2006? In 2005 they had 57 Classics but I've seen listings for 2006 models that stating BurstBuckers and others stating 57 Classics. The only identifying aspect on the back of the pickups is the white "Patent Applied For" sticker which is half torn off.
They should be 57 Classics.

If you ever wish to sell let me know please.

HRC

Reaction score
Very nice. Congrats!

PontiacKendall

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. And thanks Brutus for the info on the pickups, that's great to hear.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Sweet. A while back I could have bought one of these from a forum member and I passed on it, which I now very sincerely regret.

I've have a gas build-up for an SG these days.

PontiacKendall

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive comments. Here are a few more close-ups of the SG.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Great looking guitar. I have a regular 2008 VOS and it's one of my favourites. I think the pickups in those GC exclusives were '57s but am not 100% sure. Just look at the undersides when you change the strings. Might want to flip the bridge, too. It's backwards.

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar. Me like. It must be heavy though, its still on the floor.

Ducks behind couch as OP throws brick at Rufus:applause:

R

PontiacKendall

Reaction score
Great looking guitar. I have a regular 2008 VOS and it's one of my favourites. I think the pickups in those GC exclusives were '57s but am not 100% sure. Just look at the undersides when you change the strings. Might want to flip the bridge, too. It's backwards.
Ha, great catch on the bridge. I noticed that after I took the pictures and hoped nobody would notice :) After posting this I did pull the pickups but the only identifier on the back was a half torn "Patent Applied For" sticker. I believe that I've seen those stickers on both the 57's and the BB's. Based on your feedback and earlier feedback from Brutus I'm inclined to believe that these are 57's.

PontiacKendall

Reaction score
This might be of interest to you.

Fantastic, thanks Brutus. I thought that I had scoured the entire entire web looking for information on these but came up with very little. This is cool to have.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
BBs have additional white stickers with "wound by" and a date.

Brutus

Reaction score
I own a 05. Mine has 57 classics so I'm pretty sure yours does too. I hope you got all the paperwork with yours. GC wasn't real good back then on getting it to the buyer. These are some of the best SG's made! I know you'll enjoy yours too!!

depuis1899

Reaction score
I got the same, from 05. Bought it in a spanish shop ( the shop bought it second hand from a guy in the US ), what a GREAT guitar.
Feels great, sounds good, but I don't like the custom 57' Classics. Never liked Gibson pickups actually, except older ones ( got a pair of 490 and 498 from 94 and from 90, and they are way different that newer ones ).
Right now this guitar is being repainted in black ( pls don't shoot me ) and I'm putting Pearly Gates I had lying around in it. Love those pickups :)

Latest Threads