NGD! 2003 R9 Brazilian board

Big electric cat

Reaction score
That's a beautiful guitar you have there. I haven't read through the thread but I'm sure somebody has already told you that the fretboard is not Brazilian rosewood. More than likely it's Madagascar Rosewood.

Patek

Reaction score
Ignore the post below

this has now been superseded and the matter resolved

Had I known the truth of the R9 before purchasing, I would have moved on from it and kept looking. Having it in hand now, and it being very unfortunate that it turned out the way it did, I still really love the guitar, and am happy with it, just not happy with the deal and the stress I've been through over it.
Honestly mate, you’re a genuine and honest and humble nice guy. I want you to win and it is not too late to take the guitar back and say after further research this instrument is not what I wanted and I want my guitars and money back

we can all help you find you something absolutely incredible for your $6/$7k - you should be getting braz or TM aged limited runs or even a CC. The world is your oyster

I can feel in your words that you’re not happy, and if you’re not happy now you’ll be bitter for years to come as you will not be able to shift that thing for anywhere near how deep you’re in.

In other circumstances, if you were someone who has plenty of cash to spare and has several customshop LPs, big collection, that hypothetical guy would not stand for this and would have got his money back. As he would have been ripped off

You are not in a position to take the hit on this, as this is your main dream 1 piece. You have even more skin in the game to get your money back than the wealthy guy of which this would not make a dent in his pocket

Don’t let EC brain wash you or make you a chump change offer - you have a window of opportunity that is still open, but the longer you leave it the sliding glass doors slowly are closing. Take it back and get rid of it, you will be so much happier and breath out a sigh of relief

my last word on it:- take it back today or tomorrow, let them know on the phone why and that you’re coming and that’s the end of it. You jumped on this and traded your pieces in because you wanted to jump on the braz R9. Get your pieces back, sell them privately and start the hunt again; the chase for your grail is as fun as actually finally owning it.

best of luck

Last edited:

guitarbob123

Reaction score
Congrats on the correct outcome, I’m sure it’s much more pleasant being able to enjoy your new purchase without that nagging feeling!

Glad that Emerald City Guitars ended up fixing their error but I’d be very wary of dealing with them again without doing full due diligence. Shouldn’t have happened in the first place and certainly shouldn’t have taken such a huge negative reaction and two attempts for them to rectify the situation. I hope they’ve learned their lesson...

Mtt02263

Reaction score
Emerald City Guitars just gave me a call, and they have agreed to give me to $1,000 partial refund and my Les Paul Traditional back. I think that's really great of them to try and make it right, and after I get the $1,000 and my guitar back, I'll be 100% happy about the deal.
Okay, this you can feel better about. The Traditional was the big trade and you got some cash back. If you really love it, you shouldn't be in terrible shape now. Glad it worked out!

Patek

Reaction score
Emerald City Guitars just gave me a call, and they have agreed to give me to $1,000 partial refund and my Les Paul Traditional back. I think that's really great of them to try and make it right, and after I get the $1,000 and my guitar back, I'll be 100% happy about the deal.
This is good news. Assuming they saw the thread here and panicked

their reputation is damaged, and this thread is what made them do it. But never the less you got the correct deal. $3000 cash plus your Epi $1200 total $4200 for the 2003 R9

happy days

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel so much better for you. Congrats on getting that beautiful Trad back, and congrats on a fantastic R9

dubster82

Reaction score
Emerald City Guitars just gave me a call, and they have agreed to give me the $1,000 partial refund and my Les Paul Traditional back. I think that's really great of them to try and make it right, and after I get the $1,000 and my guitar back, I'll be 100% happy about the deal.
That's brilliant news. A fair outcome I'd say that you can be happy about!

I originally thought a fair fix would of been to just give you your guitars back, but this represents a similar value and it seems you weren't as worried about the Epiphone as much as you were about the trad?

Hope you continue you cherish the R9.

Clint

Reaction score
ECG is a very reputable dealer. They made a mistake and manned up. I would have been surprised if they didn't try to make it right.
That looks like a good one, enjoy it and don't look back.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Emerald City Guitars just gave me a call, and they have agreed to give me the $1,000 partial refund and my Les Paul Traditional back. I think that's really great of them to try and make it right, and after I get the $1,000 and my guitar back, I'll be 100% happy about the deal.
That's want I wanted to hear! Congrats!

Tim Plains

Reaction score
ECG is a very reputable dealer. They made a mistake and manned up. I would have been surprised if they didn't try to make it right.
Did you read through this whole thread?

They knew it wasn't Brazilian but still sold it to this guy as a Brazilian, at first they only gave him $1,000 back and would not return any guitars, only after they caught wind of this thread did they return one guitar. Damage control.

Bad business and I would never buy anything from them after reading this thread. They should have completely reversed this deal, apologized, and either ate the loss or tried recouping their loss from the previous owner.

I'm sure Cowtown Guitars was also very reputable at one point.

Clint

Reaction score
Did you read through this whole thread?

They knew it wasn't Brazilian but still sold it to this guy as a Brazilian, at first they only gave him $1,000 back and would not return any guitars, only after they caught wind of this thread did they return one guitar. Damage control.

Bad business and I would never buy anything from them after reading this thread. They should have completely reversed this deal, apologized, and either ate the loss or tried recouping their loss from the previous owner.

I'm sure Cowtown Guitars was also very reputable at one point.
Yes I did. Have you ever bought anything from them or visited their store? I have. Frankly I'm a little surprised the OP didn't do his homework a bit more before making such a big purchase.
I thought ECG probably took the original owner's word for it and should have done their homework. They misrepresented the guitar and finally made things right. Some dealers would not have done this. Those are the ones to avoid.

Last edited:

Clint

Reaction score
BTW if I was a betting man, I'd say that fretboard is Madagascar RW which is a nice bonus. I remember owning a few from that era and remember Gibson switching from Brazilian to Mad then down the road switching back to IRW. Not sure if there is any official record of the Mad boards but they often look similar to Braz.

NiteGoat

Reaction score
They apparently had it on consignment, and the details were all from the owner, so that was how they listed it. That's what I was just told. They offered a partial refund of $1,000 cash, and while that is still pretty steep, I really love the guitar, so I decided to keep and accept the partial refund.
I would have gotten my 2009 Trad+ and Epi back, and then a partial refund. Sorry, but you got reamed. - Disreagrd. I saw your later post where they gave you another partial refund and your Trad back.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW if I was a betting man, I'd say that fretboard is Madagascar RW which is a nice bonus. I remember owning a few from that era and remember Gibson switching from Brazilian to Mad then down the road switching back to IRW. Not sure if there is any official record of the Mad boards but they often look similar to Braz.
Yes,... I’m sure the OP’s R9 has a Madagascar RW fretboard..... Madi was used on Historics till 2007-8 I’m not positive on the end date on that, but at least thru 2007.... and has been confused and convinced many that its Brazilian..... and it’s my opinion its just as good and endangered,... as its use is restricted.

Latest Threads