NGD! 2003 R9 Brazilian board

Overture

Reaction score
This thread kept me entertained through my work day today, so thanks for that. Glad to see it's all okay in the end.

bosnialove

Reaction score
If you want a Brazilian R9, I will you my 03 Brazilian R9 if youwant. :)

cowboy bebop

Reaction score
Congrats on your new non-Braz guitar. Personally, I would return it merely because they lied to you. Ask them for every they said in writing and see how their story will change.

And don't ever trust what people are telling you when they are trying to sell you something at the same time. No affiliation but Mark is the only guy I would trust when it comes to historic Les Pauls because he will literally tell you if he thinks the guitar isn't right for you based on the info you provide him.
Well, this is disappointing news. What do you suggest I do? Ask for a partial refund?
I would pay 5 grand for that guitar, but not 7. How much does it way? If it's like 8.2 pounds or something then yea, 6 grand MAYBE with a Madagascar board. These guys deal in bursts and they are really good with guitars so I'm surprised they lied to you but again, they're hurting with the China virus so they need to make every bit of cash they can to support their lifestyle in Seattle I'm sure.

skydog

Reaction score
I'd be extremely upset if I were in your situation, but life is too short to loose sleep over stuff like that. I admire your positive attitude; it's inspiring. I'm glad you're happy with the outcome -- your R9 looks amazing. Enjoy!!!
I don't; it makes it easier for dealers to treat future customers this way. The OP is still owed ~$2,000 and EC is still grinning. I'd like to know how much cash the consigner received. I hope it was worth it, I'd never consider doing business with them after this. They were either guilty of knowing or guilty of not knowing, either way.

bosnialove

Reaction score
If you want a Brazilian R9, I will you my 03 Brazilian R9 if youwant. :)
I also think in my opininion they have ripped you off. Early 2000s '59s in Europe are much more expensive than in the USA, but they still dont cost $6K even here in Europe. But hey, its your money,

Anyways, NGD. At least you have the original Lifton from that era, which are very hard to get and are about $400,- and also you have the case candy with the cable, tags, papers and leather strap. Also very hard to find.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is a really nice guitar. My advice would be to pay no further mind to all the yahoos on here questioning the value of the deal. It's your money and your guitar, and if you really bond with the instrument it's well worth it. Don't let anyone cast doubt on that.

11top

Reaction score
Brazilian fret boards are overrated; nice because of the rarity, but meh based upon tonal differences. And my point made is not because I don’t have a BRW Historic; I have two.

So eyes forward and enjoy your nice guitar.

Last edited:

rickruz88

Reaction score
These guys from Emerald City knowingly ripped you off. About a week ago, I called them myself and followed up with a message through reverb informing them that that guitar which you purchased did not have Brazilian rosewood. They acknowledge to me that they could not prove that it was, and could only repeat the story that was told to them.

See attached screenshot

Attachments

bosnialove

Reaction score
These guys from Emerald City knowingly ripped you off. About a week ago, I called them myself and followed up with a message through reverb informing them that that guitar which you purchased did not have Brazilian rosewood. They acknowledge to me that they could not prove that it was, and could only repeat the story that was told to them.

See attached screenshot
damn boi lets take a seat for this..

11top

Reaction score

See attached screenshot
That’s how it should have been advertised and stated to the customer. “We‘ve been told, but haven‘t verified.”

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
I would pay 5 grand for that guitar, but not 7. How much does it way? If it's like 8.2 pounds or something then yea, 6 grand MAYBE with a Madagascar board. These guys deal in bursts and they are really good with guitars so I'm surprised they lied to you but again, they're hurting with the China virus so they need to make every bit of cash they can to support their lifestyle in Seattle I'm sure.
I haven't weighed it yet, but it does feel pretty light. I would guess somewhere between 8.5-8.9lbs.

trevenarj

Reaction score
Interesting thread on so many levels. If this guitar had all the factory "case candy", wouldn't there have been some documentation in that material stating it was Brazilian rosewood? I don't own an Historic but I would assume there would be some spec sheet of sorts. Educate me!

Mtt02263

Reaction score

See attached screenshot
Ooof, I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but they clearly didn't care about verifying the authenticity and were happy to pass it off to an unknowing buyer. This is decidedly more sour to me now. Both embarrassing and also a little shady for such a big dealer.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
The video clearly states it's Brazilian but if he's happy with the purchase good for him.

rickruz88

Reaction score
What Emerald City did was outright fraud. They clearly were informed, and were all too happy to pass off the misinformation in order to make a few extra pennies at someone else's expense. This is shameful!

fogdart

Reaction score
I’m happy that you love the guitar, and it’s somewhat comforting to hear that they offered to undo the deal.... but man, what a smear this has put on the rep of Emerald City Guitars for me.

First off, they call themselves experts but couldn’t tell by looking at that fretboard that it wasn’t Braz. That scares me.

Secondly, they took a customer’s word on a $7k guitar without doing their own research. All they had to do was call Gibson - and I’m sure they don’t call the same number we do. They’ve gotta have a direct contact. I should sell all of my guitars thru ECG. I can make up erroneous claims about my gear and they’ll back it which legitimizes the claims - since they’re experts.

I actually understand the compensation thing. They’ve sold the guitar and paid the former owner. The $1000 they’ve refunded the OP is likely their commission. They’re not prepared to lose out of pocket if the buyer wants to keep guitar. That’s the OP’s choice to keep. The other option is to take the guitar back from the OP, and then it’s the choice of the former owner as to what he wants to do. Keep it, or sell it for what it really is at $3800-4200 (or whatever it’s worth). So this doesn’t bother me, but the rest of the situation does.

Patek

Reaction score
They apparently had it on consignment, and the details were all from the owner, so that was how they listed it. That's what I was just told. They offered a partial refund of $1,000 cash, and while that is still pretty steep, I really love the guitar, so I decided to keep and accept the partial refund.
I agree. I asked for my guitars back, and he said that he couldn't do that. I will say, this R9 is dead mint, so it's likely worth more than the average listing on reverb, but I do realize it's still not enough to make it a great deal for me in the end.
1. EC sold the guitar to you quoting it was Brazilian even though they knew they didn’t know. They could have EASILY emailed Gibson and got the answer (they probably have a direct line or at least more contacts than you have (you had zero but got the answer in 24hrs).

2. They got caught out and only offered you $1000 back

you have given them $6,000 of value ($7,000 with the $1k off) for a $4000-$4,500 guitar, in addition to being literally lied to

you should have undone the deal because it’s ripoff times 2. Really disgusting in my opinion, and EC’s credibility has completely Plummeted in my estimation.

If they’re complicit in this on a simple R9, what are they up to on their $20,000 vintage strats and $200,000+ LPs

Edit:- if you ever tried to get out of this or trade it in in future, to a store, EC for example, they’d only give you $3.5k at BEST. Let that sink in

Last edited:

Latest Threads