NGD! 2003 R9 Brazilian board

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Again, I'm not very well educated in historics, but it was my understanding that historics of the late 90's-early 00's were more desirable.
Gibson certainly made less historics back then, people seem to think that means the guitars were given more TLC / have better wood, and then a lot of people didn't like VOS that came a few years later. That's why there's this romancing when it comes to those year guitars before 2002. Newer specs are generally better, or "better" depending on what you want in a historic, and do make newer historics made within thr past 15 years less desirable. Truth is, they're all great.

I hope Emerald City makes this right. Do your research and ask questions here next time before you buy because that was a very bad deal from your perspective. It's obviously a lot easier to change your mind than it is to reverse a transaction.

Last edited:

guitardon

Reaction score
He paid $4k and gave them two guitars. This R9 also has a weaker top and probably close the lower side of the dollar range.
Wow, that’s steep of course it depends what the trades were. I hope Gibson will deliver peace one way or the other. An email from them stating it’s not Brazilian should make EC let him return it n

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
What hurts the most about all of this news is, I've wanted one of these guitars for over 10 years now, since I first joined up here back in 09. I'm not rich by any means, so it has taken me quite some time to finally get enough money saved up for this. I set out to try and finally get my first R9 about a month ago, and I've had to sell quite a few nice things I've collected over the years, to get the money together. I'm not sure when there's going to be a next time.

Mtt02263

Reaction score
What hurts the most about all of this news is, I've wanted one of these guitars for over 10 years now, since I first joined up here back in 09. I'm not rich by any means, so it has taken me quite some time to finally get enough money saved up for this. I set out to try and finally get my first R9 about a month ago, and I've had to sell quite a few nice things I've collected over the years, to get the money together. I'm not sure when there's going to be a next time.
Hey keep in mind, you gave them $4k in cash, that'll be a really nice older R9 no problem. You should be able to come away from this in good shape, I can't imagine Emerald won't make it right.

guitardon

Reaction score
Wow, that sucks. Do you mind saying what you paid and traded. I just bought an 2018 Brazilian guitar. Like you I am not rich in fact I’m retired and living in a fixed budget. So I know how you feel, I had to sell things I didn’t want to sell, in particular my beautiful 2017 TH R9. But I want to end up with a Brazilian. Just like the original 58 that I owned back in the day. So I feel your pain and like I said in my earlier message I’ve been duped so I know that sinking feeling in your stomach. Do your due diligence, contact Gibson immediately and get them to verify what it is. If it’s real their email will verify it. If it’s not you can take that email to Emerald City and say I want my money back. Again it depends what you have in it I don’t know what you paid maybe it’s worth keeping it like it is.

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
Wow, that sucks. Do you mind saying what you paid and traded. I just bought an 2018 Brazilian guitar. Like you I am not rich in fact I’m retired and living in a fixed budget. So I know how you feel, I had to sell things I didn’t want to sell, in particular my beautiful 2017 TH R9. But I want to end up with a Brazilian. Just like the original 58 that I owned back in the day. So I feel your pain and like I said in my earlier message I’ve been duped so I know that sinking feeling in your stomach. Do your due diligence, contact Gibson immediately and get the reading on it. If it’s real though authorize it in an email. If it’s not you can take that email to Emerald City and say I want my money back. Again it depends what you have in it I don’t know what you paid maybe it’s worth keeping it like it is.
I paid $4,000 cash and traded in a 2009 Traditional Plus and a 1951 Epiphone Zenith archtop.

guitardon

Reaction score
Wow ur into it for around 7 grand or so. Good price for a Brazilian but too much if not. Hang in there it will all get resolved. I’m sure EC will make it right if it isn’t.

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
So, I've been doing some digging. Could this possibly be what I have? One of the 25 Dave Carpenter had made after his real 59 burst? That could explain the serial number. Maybe it's the same as his real one? Any thoughts?
Screenshot_20210110-161837_Samsung Internet.jpg

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah GEEZ. I'm so very very sorry to read this. Even though it is your $$$ and not mine, it still hurts :( :( :(

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I've been doing some digging. Could this possibly be what I have? One of the 25 Dave Carpenter had made after his real 59 burst? That could explain the serial number. Maybe it's the same as his real one? Any thoughts? View attachment 511332
Does yours have a soft v neck,?... that would be noticeable.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a normal marking for a ‘59 reissue..... I thought maybe if it’s a limited run of sorts it may have some other marking indicating that.... CC models have the serial number of the guitar that a particular CC represents, if it has a serial number.... or a number that indicates which one it is in a series of 1 of 25.

Latest Threads