NGD! 2003 R9 Brazilian board

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
Vic is right, it's not in the serial range for Braz. Also tough to tell from those pics, as the flash can make it look lighter and more streaky. Without documentation from Gibson it's tough. I'd give a call or send an email and see what they say.

Regardless, it's a beautiful R9! How does it play and sound?
It sounds and plays better than anything I've ever owned. Absolutely amazing guitar. I just tried calling Gibson customer service and they're closed.

Mtt02263

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar, but I would definitely contact the dealer about getting some money back. Dealers aren't infallible, it's possible they may have simply been mistaken, I doubt they would put that info in a video as well if they were trying to pass the guitar off in a sale. Historic buyers often know exactly what they're looking for and it's not like Emerald City needs the extra money from a single Historic sale labeled as Brazilian, they have legit bursts. I've had to correct dealers on sales before, big well known dealers.

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Well, this is disappointing news. What do you suggest I do? Ask for a partial refund?
Well, if you paid anywhere near the $6,795.00 asking price, I'd return it. That guitar IMO is worth in the $3,800.00 - $4,200.00 range at the most. Where's the written provenance to back up the multiple stories and inaccurate claims? Now, i know they sell more vintage guitars so maybe they don't know much about Historic reissues. And maybe they were given a line of shit when they bought or took the guitar in trade and so they are just passing on what they were told. But you need factual material and claims that will be backed up by Gibson or none of it matters.

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
Well, if you paid anywhere near the $6,795.00 asking price, I'd return it. That guitar IMO is worth in the $3,800.00 - $4,200.00 range at the most. Where's the written provenance to back up the multiple stories and inaccurate claims? Now, i know they sell more vintage guitars so maybe they don't know much about Historic reissues. And maybe they were given a line of shit when they bought or took the guitar in trade and so they are just passing on what they were told. But you need factual material and claims that will be backed up by Gibson or none of it matters.
I paid $4,000 cash, and traded them a 2009 Traditional Plus, and a 1951 Epiphone Zenith archtop on top of that.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would still call Gibson and get it from them...

Then call Emerald City.....You need a refund....or if you love the guitar .....a partial....

but something.

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
I would still call Gibson and get it from them...

Then call Emerald City.....You need a refund....or if you love the guitar .....a partial....

but something.
I tried calling Gibson customer service, and they're closed today. Unless there's another number to call? Emerald City Guitars is also closed today.

Mtt02263

Reaction score
I would be hesitant even paying $4,000 cash at this point since True Historics and 60th Anniversaries seem to have pushed the prices down on older Historics. Add in two fairly valuable other guitars, you need to talk to Emerald City as soon as they open tomorrow, probably Gibson as well.

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
I would be hesitant even paying $4,000 cash at this point since True Historics and 60th Anniversaries seem to have pushed the prices down on older Historics. Add in two fairly valuable other guitars, you need to talk to Emerald City as soon as they open tomorrow, probably Gibson as well.
Again, I'm not very well educated in historics, but it was my understanding that historics of the late 90's-early 00's were more desirable. If that's not true, then I guess I'm getting hit with all sorts of bad news.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Fully agree with all comments here that this is absolutely without any doubt Madagascar not Brazilian

personally I’d keep it, Madagascar rosewood that Gibson used in mid 2000’s was about the best rosewood they ever used in modern era. Much better than the Brazilian of early 2000’s

though, you were lied to. I’d at very least make a fuss about that

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
Fully agree with all comments here that this is absolutely without any doubt Madagascar not Brazilian

personally I’d keep it, Madagascar rosewood that Gibson used in mid 2000’s was about the best rosewood they ever used in modern era. Much better than the Brazilian of early 2000’s

though, you were lied to. I’d at very least make a fuss about that
The guitar is fantastic, and I do want to keep it regardless, but I don't feel it's right to have been charged what I was charged, if it's not what they marketed as.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 R7 with a Madagascar rosewood fret board and its an awesome instrument.... your R9 is a extremely beautiful guitar and worth a bit more than an average 2003... but not the price you paid for a brazi model.

If Gibson does confirm it’s in fact a brazi board, you may have still overpaid by my opinion.

I would certainly consider keeping it,.. though a price correction is required.

Do you have any pics of your ‘51 Epiphone you traded for it?

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
I have a 2004 R7 with a Madagascar rosewood fret board and its an awesome instrument.... your R9 is a extremely beautiful guitar and worth a bit more than an average 2003... but not the price you paid for a brazi model.

If Gibson does confirm it’s in fact a brazi board, you may have still overpaid by my opinion.

I would certainly consider keeping it,.. though a price correction is required.

Do you have any pics of your ‘51 Epiphone you traded for it?
20210110_142049.jpg

Socrates

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this...frustrating for sure.

IMO even if the dealer sold it to you without intentionally misleading you its still no excuse. They are a guitar dealer and should know exactly what they are selling 100% of the time. They also would probably not want to be known for a screwup like this so chances are they will fix this. This is their fault..not yours.

Get the backup confirmatiion from Gibson...and forward the other info from the experts in this thread. Sounds like you need $2.5-$3k cash back

I wish you luck man

guitardon

Reaction score
Well, this is disappointing news. What do you suggest I do? Ask for a partial refund?
I had a very low numbered R0 and had other 03 R9’s confirmed Braz to compare it to, it looked like my other 03 Braz boards. Then someone came out with a number list and it was confusing. It stated the first ten weren’t Braz. Or at least some of them might be but specifically mine wasn’t. It was was something like 0 3003, I don’t remember it could have been 004 but I was disappointed when it wasn’t in the range.

I didn’t like the washed cherry look and since it was wasn’t Brazilian I said WTF let’s change the color. I got the top repainted. As always in the past I bought other guitars and sold my Brazilians, I don’t know why I moved on but I did. I sold tho R0 for maybe 2500 at a loss of over a thousand in just a few months. Recently I’ve seen a new numbering chart that stated it is now in the Brazilian range. I thought I was duped, it drove me crazy, had it repainted and sold for a loss to find it probably was Brazilian. So I know the feeling in your stomach when you find out you’ve been duped. Even though in the end I wasn’t duped. I got duped twice (it isn’t now it is)

The board on yours looks like my 02 R8, looks Indian or whatever they used back then. We could all be wrong, but you need proof cause when you go to sell the buyer will want proof. It’ll probably fester in your brain til it drives you crazy. Contact Gibson but do it soon before too much time slips away. Nice guitar either way, it all depends what you paid for it. Just my overly worded 2 cents.

Latest Threads