NGD! 2003 R9 Brazilian board

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Funny isn’t it when you’re the buyer how dealers swear blind that what they’re offering is the best, the bees knees and strangely the exact spec of what you want.
And if you’d happen to be selling it (back) to them it’s just not so good- not the right spec-not very popular anymore-not worth as much as ......
caveat emptor
I have to say that I’m offended by you making such a blanket statement about dealers like they’re all the same. I’m the “Dealer” that helped point out many of the issues about this guitar early in the thread. So I must of had some kind of agenda to do that, right? No wonder I don’t bother posting much any more.

NiteGoat

Reaction score
I will be keeping it, as it has sentimental value to me. It was the first Gibson I bought brand new off the wall in Guitar Center when I was 19, and I was really going to miss it, but was willing to give it up for what I thought was a Brazilian 2003 R9.
My first LP was also a 2009 Trad or Trad + ( depending on what Gibson decided to call it, in any given description) Iced Tea. I will never sell that guitar. Here she is:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I’m offended by you making such a blanket statement about dealers like they’re all the same. I’m the “Dealer” that helped point out many of the issues about this guitar early in the thread. So I must of had some kind of agenda to do that, right? No wonder I don’t bother posting much any more.
I wouldn’t sweat it..... this guy made his first post in 10 years on MLP..... I,.. and I’m sure many here appreciate your knowledge and assistance amigo. :cheers:

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it! This was my baby. I had to sell it, because we were living in an apartment, and the landlord would threaten to tow it, because it was an extra vehicle that I didn't drive often. My wife and I bought our first house last year, so that is no longer an issue. I want to get another one at some point. View attachment 511680
This is mine.... it ain’t no Camaro but it’s okay.

C4DEDCC4-E893-40C6-82A9-09CD04A46EFE.jpeg

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
I appreciate your help, Mark. I personally don't think all dealers are the same. I still give ECG the benefit of the doubt, but I do believe given their status, they should have known better. They've decided to make it right though, so once I'm made whole, there will be no hard feelings.

mjross

Reaction score
Wow! That was painful but appears to be a happy ending. HNGD, wishing you the best sir!

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your help, Mark. I personally don't think all dealers are the same. I still give ECG the benefit of the doubt, but I do believe given their status, they should have known better. They've decided to make it right though, so once I'm made whole, there will be no hard feelings.
You really are a good Soul. I'm convinced that is why things worked out for you

rjstauber

Reaction score
I have read more or less the whole thread.

I think it is a beautiful guitar, I like the somewhat darker outer edge, similar to the "Washed Bourbon Burst" which they offered for the 1960 60th Anniversary models.

I think in the end, you got a decent deal and it is a fair outcome.

Enjoy the new guitar!

Georgiatec

Reaction score
ECG not knowing this was non- Braz is like a comic book dealer not knowing a certain book was drawn by a famous artist, making it more valuable or not....inexcusable.

To the OP, maybe you were meant to have this guitar and the entire ordeal is part of it's story.

For me, you had 4k to lay on a nice R9, which with a bit of legwork should be no problem. You were drawn to this guitar by the marketing of it being something special, which it turned out not to be. One of your posts mentioned if not for the hype you would not have given it a second look. This meant you could have missed "your" guitar and maybe the trip is now worth it.

I guess the moral of the story is, unless there is documented evidence.....don't believe the hype.

BSeneca

Reaction score
The guitar is fantastic, and I do want to keep it regardless, but I don't feel it's right to have been charged what I was charged, if it's not what they marketed as.
You do need refunded something, That being said, if you love the guitar keep it! Brazilian is an overblown feature. It looks nice, but I truly feel it has VERY little effect on sound or tone. I have a 52 Goldtop and a 55 Junior. I owned a 54 and 55 Juniors in the past. The 54 was kinda of a dog. Nice guitar but no MAGIC because of the board. If it speaks to you it is for you. You do need SOMETHING back, but dont get too upset over Braz. The body wood and electronics will do more to your tone IMO. I know i probably will get hammered for going against the common thought on Braz. But its truly how I feel after having several. Congratulations on a wonderful guitar

decoy205

Reaction score
It’s the sum of its parts. As long as it s a good piece of rosewood and the rest of the guitar is built well it will be good.
I agree that it’s the whole thing that matters. You really have to play them to know if they are good “for you”. Tone and feel is something you can’t take a pic of or put on a spec sheet.

majorminor

Reaction score
Glad it worked out. Madagascar board most likely on the OP's guitar in this pic above. Sometimes that species presents with landscape figuring ala Brazilian(that darker ledge running down the center of the board above)and confusion and speculation follow. If it can't be documented as Brazilian best not to buy or sell based on the assumption it "might be".

The seller did the wrong thing then made it right and I think we all learned something.

goodvibes

Reaction score
I paid $4,000 cash, and traded them a 2009 Traditional Plus, and a 1951 Epiphone Zenith archtop on top of that.
Ouch! Man take it back and make them comeclean on this 'deal'! They are supposed to be a reputable dealer but ....?? These are strange times we are all going through right now. Like so many other businesses out there, they may be hurting right now. Please do not let them get away with this!

goodvibes

Reaction score
I've been bummed by all of this potentially bad news, but I must say, every time I plug it in and play, it puts a big ol smile on my face. It's a fantastic instrument!
That's great but I would still confront them about this deal. I wonder how much they will sell that vintage Epiphone for and the other guitar you traded? Tell you want to keep the guitar but you would like some cash back at least, since it is not a Brazilian model.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great but I would still confront them about this deal. I wonder how much they will sell that vintage Epiphone for and the other guitar you traded? Tell you want to keep the guitar but you would like some cash back at least, since it is not a Brazilian model.
It's been resolved. Read the rest of the thread ;)

guitardon

Reaction score
Wow, I’ve been away all day and was surprised the thread was still running and I’m glad it did, it helped you got a decent resolution. I have a Brazilian board on one of mine but who else knows, no one but me. It’s not the end of the world that it’s not and is a real nice guitar. Im happy forum members by comments on this thread helped you get the price reduced. You are now into it for a decent price and 03’s are great guitars Braz or not. If you take a hit when you sell at least now it won’t be as bad. Shucks I take a hit on everything I sell, call me hi-lo, I tent to buy high and sell low cause I want something else and get crazy. Like I said on my last post, play the hell out of it and enjoy it. It will be a special guitar cause the forum helped you get the price down. We’re all part of your our guitar purchase. Print out the entire thread and in a few years pull it out and read it and get a laugh out of the whole process. That’s what I’d do.

guitardon

Reaction score
Forgot to say, On the post I made earlier that I had a PRS sold as a 10 top but not marked a 10 top. Like you was offered a full refund when I challenged them but I had the guitar in hand and fell in love with it. Like you I kept it. Fortunately Greg former owner of Makin Music sold it to below market 10 top or not. He really believed it was a 10 and when I called PRS they agreed with Greg that some slip out without the 10 stamp. He said he’d look for his PO to prove it and I told him to forget it. When I sold 8 or 9 years later I got close to what I paid for it. So you’ll be ok.

Latest Threads