NGD! 2003 R9 Brazilian board

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
I purchased my first R9 today from Emerald City Guitars, and I think I got a great one to start my historic collection. I was told by the shop I bought it from, that it was a hand selected top and fret board, by a Gibson Custom Shop dealer back in the day. Finish is somewhere between cherry sunburst and bourbon burst, but I'm not sure what they called it. Any additional information you guys can provide would be awesome!

Last edited:

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
Also, if anyone can give me any pointers on the best way to upload photos, that'd be great. I used to use photobucket way back in the day on here, but I can't seem to get mine to work anymore. Thanks!

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
That's a beautiful top....But I'm not sure that serial # falls in the Brazilian range....
He had said the serial had an extra number because it was a hand picked one. I'm not super educated on this stuff, but it's a very reputable guitar shop here in Seattle, and he sold it to me as a Brazilian. I'd be pretty disappointed if it wasn't. Especially for what he was charging.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the lay out on the 2003 Braz....there were ONLY 674 confirmed Brazilian.

* Brazilian boards installed from January through May as follows:
** of 4 3001-4 3150 35 of these were R4 Custom Black Beauties = 115 BRW R4s
** of 7 3001-7 3707 220 of these were R7 Customs, 4 GTs were 02 specs, 28 were Juniors = 455 BRW R7s
** of 8 3001-8 3256 31 of these were Juniors = 225 BRW R8s
** of 0 3001-0 3163 50 were G0s, 20 were Specials = 93 BRW R0s
** R6s and R9s Do not share with other models, so all 148 R6s and all 674 R9s are BRW.

Sct13

Reaction score
He had said the serial had an extra number because it was a hand picked one. I'm not super educated on this stuff, but it's a very reputable guitar shop here in Seattle, and he sold it to me as a Brazilian. I'd be pretty disappointed if it wasn't. Especially for what he was charging.

Hmmmm....

I doubt that it is ....You can only call Gibson and ask their customer service.....they have a database they can look up the serial # and tell you and it will be the final word....

But in my experience in collecting Les Paul's only the serial #'s up to 674 are confirmed Brazilian for 2003, I have had three over the last 12 years and the serial #'s are king.

But there could be a rouge out there ....is it a stinger from Music Machine?

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
Hmmmm....

I doubt that it is ....You can only call Gibson and ask their customer service.....they have a database they can look up the serial # and tell you and it will be the final word....

But in my experience in collecting Les Paul's only the serial #'s up to 674 are confirmed Brazilian for 2003, I have had three over the last 12 years and the serial #'s are king.

But there could be a rouge out there ....is it a stinger from Music Machine?
It is from Music Machine. No stinger on the back though.

Sct13

Reaction score
OK he mentions Music Machine....is the back of the headstock painted black?

(And Emerald City is a very reputable dealer)

if you paid around what he has posted it's not a bad deal, even if it isn't Braz ....

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
OK he mentions Music Machine....is the back of the headstock painted black?

(And Emerald City is a very reputable dealer)

if you paid around what he has posted it's not a bad deal, even if it isn't Braz ....
No, it's not painted on the back of the headstock. He told me the guy from Music Machine flew out to the Gibson Custom Shop and hand picked the top and fret board on this guitar and a handful of others he had made specifically for his shop back in the day.

Sct13

Reaction score
Call Gibson.....and ask....I do it all the time when I buy just to make sure its what they say it is. They are very happy to help you....

And if it is a Brazilian then you scored....!

And if it isn't ....you scored anyway....that is a mint 2003 and to me are some of the best ones out there. and you have a collectors piece....which is a good thing...

Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Vic is right, it's not in the serial range for Braz. Also tough to tell from those pics, as the flash can make it look lighter and more streaky. Without documentation from Gibson it's tough. I'd give a call or send an email and see what they say.

Regardless, it's a beautiful R9! How does it play and sound?

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry, but you were given a big line of BS!! I highly doubt any of that story being true unfortunately. That’s not Brazilian and is clearly Madagascar rosewood IMO. No serial numbers above 674 have been verified as Brazilian. The line about an extra digit in the serial number because it was “Handpicked” is total bullshit. Not trying to come off harsh, just honest. I’ve probably had as many if not more Brazilian R9’s thru my shop than any other dealer.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Congrats on your new non-Braz guitar. Personally, I would return it merely because they lied to you. Ask them for every they said in writing and see how their story will change.

And don't ever trust what people are telling you when they are trying to sell you something at the same time. No affiliation but Mark is the only guy I would trust when it comes to historic Les Pauls because he will literally tell you if he thinks the guitar isn't right for you based on the info you provide him.

Last edited:

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
Sorry, but you were given a big line of BS!! I highly doubt any of that story being true unfortunately. That’s not Brazilian and is clearly Madagascar rosewood IMO. No serial numbers above 674 have been verified as Brazilian. The line about an extra digit in the serial number because it was “Handpicked” is total bullshit. Not trying to come off harsh, just honest. I’ve probably had as many if not more Brazilian R9’s thru my shop than any other dealer.
Well, this is disappointing news. What do you suggest I do? Ask for a partial refund?

Latest Threads