NGD 2003 LP Classic Ebony and Gold

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol, I mentioned a few posts up that I found a nice set of gold 57 classic pickups that I'm gonna try out in this guitar. Nothing wrong with the stock pickups at all, but I want something a little less hot for this guitar, and these 57s popped up at just the right time for an awesome deal. If I like the 57s in the Classic, I may put the 496/500 combo in a dual HB baritone tele build I'm working on. Gonna wait on the inlays for now.
57/57+ is a bananas setup...
absolutely nails

they sound so perfectly les Paul....I am a huge 57 classic pup family fan....

cant go wrong...and if u solder like me, u leave a silver bulb of toothpaste on everything so swapping em back doesn’t require finding the solder because u lay enough to use for maybe 8 more swaps

-Chris

integra evan

Reaction score
57/57+ is a bananas setup...
absolutely nails

they sound so perfectly les Paul....I am a huge 57 classic pup family fan....

cant go wrong...and if u solder like me, u leave a silver bulb of toothpaste on everything so swapping em back doesn’t require finding the solder because u lay enough to use for maybe 8 more swaps

-Chris
Yeah I like the 57 pups. They sounded great in the 2013 Traditional I had, and my 335 came with 57s as well, sounds great in there too.

I was curious to see what was under the black top, so I did the flashlight and paper trick to see the wood grain under the finish, and it looks like there is some nice birdseye figuring going on. Wonder why they decided to paint it black.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Yeah, it was, which is why I was annoyed...its significant enough to specifically mention. The price was fair. It wasn't a screaming deal but I feel the guitar is definitely worth what I paid for it, scratches aside, and I had a feeling it wouldn't last long at all.
At least the scratches don't take away the fun or the playability of it lol. It really is an awesome guitar, and I'll even go as far as saying it's better than all the Traditionals I've had.
Honest wear wouldn't bother me, but I'm pissed at CME for advertising it like that. You expect this from some random reverb user, but CME?

integra evan

Reaction score
Honest wear wouldn't bother me, but I'm pissed at CME for advertising it like that. You expect this from some random reverb user, but CME?
Exactly my thoughts.
Here's the original listing from CME:

You can see in the one angled picture of the top that highlights the top carve, it's quite a blurry photo and you can't make out any detail.

Like I said before though, I was able to get a few dollars back.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts.

You can see in the one angled picture of the top that highlights the top carve, it's quite a blurry photo and you can't make out any detail.

I already had a quick look at the ad a few hours ago and found myself shaking my head at the pictures from CME. One close-up like you posted and/or a bit more of an explanation would have sufficed. Glad you got some money back, and it seems to be a really nice guitar, too. I bought two black Les Pauls last year, so I definitely love the way this looks.

I always love the way these classics look. Honestly, they're some of the best looking guitars Gibson put out back then. I love flat colours and plain tops, and the classics just seem to nail the whole look. Someone recently posted a trans amber classic that had my jaw dropping. OTOH, the new slash sig in trans amber does nothing for me, with its OTT flame.

Too bad I just can't bond with the neck on these. I'd have a whole bunch of them if I could.

integra evan

Reaction score
I already had a quick look at the ad a few hours ago and found myself shaking my head at the pictures from CME. One close-up like you posted and/or a bit more of an explanation would have sufficed. Glad you got some money back, and it seems to be a really nice guitar, too. I bought two black Les Pauls last year, so I definitely love the way this looks.

I always love the way these classics look. Honestly, they're some of the best looking guitars Gibson put out back then. I love flat colours and plain tops, and the classics just seem to nail the whole look. Someone recently posted a trans amber classic that had my jaw dropping. OTOH, the new slash sig in trans amber does nothing for me, with its OTT flame.

Too bad I just can't bond with the neck on these. I'd have a whole bunch of them if I could.
Yeah, love the way it looks. It has a nice top carve, and I like this version of headstock. The gold hardware on black is great, and the ABR into the wood has always been my favorite bridge setup. This has a good weight too.

That trans amber Classic is stunning. A nice plain top is so much better than an over the top flame top.

The neck is exactly like my '95 Studio - perfect. Just the right shape. Not wizard thin, not a drastic D shape like the Standards from the same era, but a nice even C.

I kind of want another one too lol.

Last edited:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts.

Send it to me, I dont mind of the scratches! My god it’s a beauty! :eek2::hyper:

integra evan

Reaction score
Send it to me, I dont mind of the scratches! My god it’s a beauty! :eek2::hyper:
It sure is a looker! This proves that it doesn't take high figure to look good.

Still thinking about putting on some black plastics and a 5 ply black pickguard when I put the gold 57's in.
On the fence about it. Maybe I'll try, it's very easily reversible.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
It sure is a looker! This proves that it doesn't take high figure to look good.

Still thinking about putting on some black plastics and a 5 ply black pickguard when I put the gold 57's in.
On the fence about it. Maybe I'll try, it's very easily reversible.
With that rosewood board, imho, the cream plastics are balancing the right way, A total black with bright rosewood, usually looks a bit off. To me at least, Im nobody to tell you what to like lol. :thumb:

integra evan

Reaction score
With that rosewood board, imho, the cream plastics are balancing the right way, A total black with bright rosewood, usually looks a bit off. To me at least, Im nobody to tell you what to like lol. :thumb:
Yeah kinda why I'm on the fence about it lol

integra evan

Reaction score
Nice set of gold 57 classics arrived for this yesterday. Gonna get some CTS 500k pots and Emerson PIO caps tomorrow, throw in these pickups and wire it up 50s style. Should sound sweet! Then I plan to use the stock 496/500 set in a dual humbucker (maybe baritone) telecaster I'm building.
20200117_224634-2268x3024.jpg

Redwine

Reaction score
Sold my 1990 classic and regret it immensely. Had to do it though. Neck was wizard thin, which I normally cannot stand, but it just felt right. Like magic almost.

integra evan

Reaction score
Sold my 1990 classic and regret it immensely. Had to do it though. Neck was wizard thin, which I normally cannot stand, but it just felt right. Like magic almost.
This neck is amazing. It's not wizard thin...its skinny, but not too skinny...the carve is perfect.
Ever look for another one?

Redwine

Reaction score
This neck is amazing. It's not wizard thin...its skinny, but not too skinny...the carve is perfect.
Ever look for another one?
Yeah they fattened up the necks on later ones I believe. And I have looked but I’m not in the market for one at the moment. About to buy a historic so I’ll probably have to wait a while.
Enjoy yours and play her in good health! Happy NGD!!

integra evan

Reaction score
Yeah they fattened up the necks on later ones I believe. And I have looked but I’m not in the market for one at the moment. About to buy a historic so I’ll probably have to wait a while.
Enjoy yours and play her in good health! Happy NGD!!
Thanks! Can't go wrong with a Historic!

integra evan

Reaction score
I was able to get those scratches out! I can tell where they were if I look really closely, but the ugly marks are gone! I ended up not getting the stuff that @PierM mentioned, but I saw this product at Philadelphia Luthier called Jescar scratch and swirl remover, threw it in with my order from there to give it a try. Worked really well! This is good stuff, only $11 too.
Pictures of the removed scratches and of the product below.

20200122_234009-3024x2268.jpg
20200122_234051-3024x2268.jpg
20200122_234127-2268x3024.jpg
20200122_234209-2268x3024.jpg

My Les Paul Classifieds