NGD 2003 LP Classic Ebony and Gold

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
The double blend Polish he bought, has abrasive particles in it. They are not cleaners.
Fine abrasives are good. The Virtuoso Cleaner will remove fine scratches quite well. Why I tend to think it is very mildly abrasive.

Meguiar's claims their abrasives quickly break down into finer particles.

These do not appear especially deep, just rather wide. The texture of the shine away from the scratches may be altered by polishing. Whatever product you use do so slowly and carefully. I'd test the polishes on the back or otherwise less obvious areas until you get a feel how they work.

1579037594071.png

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
We are overthinking imho.

Those are aggressive scratches, but still in the clear coat. The double blend will fix it just fine. There are zero risks involved. The worst scenario is they wont completely disappear, which imho is fine, since it’s a 17 years old guitar, so being anal sounds a tad insane. :thumb:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
We are overthinking imho.

Those are aggressive scratches, but still in the clear coat. The double blend will fix it just fine. There are zero risks involved. The worst scenario is they wont completely disappear, which imho is fine, since it’s a 17 years old guitar, so being anal sounds a tad insane. :thumb:
Agreed on overthinking. You tend to do that when messing with finishes. Black is the trickiest, showing every minute imperfection.

integra evan

Reaction score
Yeah if I can get rid of the majority of it itll be good. Regular playing scratches don't really bother me....but these aren't regular playing scratches haha, that's why I want to try to eliminate them. I'll see how eternashine works.

Also found a nice set of gold 57 classics for a very nice price that I'm gonna try in this guitar. The 496/500 pickups in this are cool but I think I want something a little less hot.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Haha yeah, they had it listed less than a day...I saw it and it immediately made me say oh wow out loud lol...that doesn't happen often. Knew I had to move on it. It's an awesome guitar. Thank you for not pulling the trigger right away lol
Wait... So it was CME?

I don't know how fairly priced this was and I know the scratches wouldn't bother me, but I can't believe CME didn't disclose that in their listing.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
that skinny one, second from right... my goodness, never gets old
exactly...
I had a chance for a white custom classic and delayed 1 day....it was sold when I decided
didnt even know I lost out for $75 o so if memory serves...

oh well, I’m not a gazillionaire and miss out on at least half of my “offers”

-Chris

MSB

Reaction score
exactly...
I had a chance for a white custom classic and delayed 1 day....it was sold when I decided
didnt even know I lost out for $75 o so if memory serves...

oh well, I’m not a gazillionaire and miss out on at least half of my “offers”

-Chris
that's half the fun. There are only a handful of guitars that I'd snatch up immediately w/o pondering. The rest, it'd be nice, but if I don't get them, that just leaves the door open for something else.

if you sold your "stock" in Bigsby, I bet you could snag something quite nice and still come out ahead. :p , but I get it, I like wiggle sticks too

integra evan

Reaction score
Wait... So it was CME?

I don't know how fairly priced this was and I know the scratches wouldn't bother me, but I can't believe CME didn't disclose that in their listing.
Yeah, it was, which is why I was annoyed...its significant enough to specifically mention. The price was fair. It wasn't a screaming deal but I feel the guitar is definitely worth what I paid for it, scratches aside, and I had a feeling it wouldn't last long at all.
At least the scratches don't take away the fun or the playability of it lol. It really is an awesome guitar, and I'll even go as far as saying it's better than all the Traditionals I've had.

uncajoey

Reaction score
That's a beauty for sure.

Congrats on an amazing guitar.

All these years I've never owned a Classic.

I have a friend who's got a '00 Classic Amber Premium Plus that I'm going to buy from him.

I'm raising cash right now, and hopefully I'll be in the Classic club in a month or so.

You won’t be sorry. Classics are my favorite by far.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was, which is why I was annoyed...its significant enough to specifically mention. The price was fair. It wasn't a screaming deal but I feel the guitar is definitely worth what I paid for it, scratches aside, and I had a feeling it wouldn't last long at all.
At least the scratches don't take away the fun or the playability of it lol. It really is an awesome guitar, and I'll even go as far as saying it's better than all the Traditionals I've had.
it looks totally fixable.

early 2000s classics rock....and I’m not a luthier, or even close...
but I’ve buffed our way worse scratches with the buffer drill attachment and polish(I prefer the compound to virtuoso because it sparkles in seconds...especially with a fastish drill)

i do like virtuoso for regular polishing upkeep....but for scratches, compound all day long

youtube has a treasure trove of data

-Chris

uncajoey

Reaction score
Grabbed this killer 2003 Classic in ebony with gold hardware. Barely any play wear and good overall condition. No tarnish on the gold hardware either. Looked like someone tried to draw Saturn with a spectrum on the top, got some weird scratches on it. It plays and sounds amazing. Neck is a little bit bigger/more round than a slim taper 60s, although that's what its spec'd with. The ad said it weighed 9.2 pounds but it feels lighter. These older classics are awesome guitars. ABR bridge right into the wood like reissues and the vintage shaped headstock, which I've always liked.
I may eventually change the inlays to a white color. Need to oil up the fretboard to make it darker too.
View attachment 432331

View attachment 432330View attachment 432332
That’s a keeper. Ignore the scratches, or if. You can’t get them out with light compound, bring it to a repair shop who should be able to get them out pronto.

integra evan

Reaction score
it looks totally fixable.

early 2000s classics rock....and I’m not a luthier, or even close...
but I’ve buffed our way worse scratches with the buffer drill attachment and polish(I prefer the compound to virtuoso because it sparkles in seconds...especially with a fastish drill)

i do like virtuoso for regular polishing upkeep....but for scratches, compound all day long

youtube has a treasure trove of data

-Chris

Yep, I'm sure I'll be able to eventually get it out. I'm not worried about it at all.

integra evan

Reaction score
That’s a keeper. Ignore the scratches, or if. You can’t get them out with light compound, bring it to a repair shop who should be able to get them out pronto.
Thanks! It really is a keeper. Truly and impressive and inspiring LP.

uncajoey

Reaction score
Thanks! It really is a keeper. Truly and impressive and inspiring LP.
Btw, before you follow the crowd and replace the “lousy” pickups with Duncan, then have the inlays replaced, do what Bonamassa does and live with it as is for a long time, and see if it truly is a keeper, and get used to playing it with the supplied pickups, you may end up loving them. Trends come and go, but good guitars are always good guitars.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
My 2007 classic is my number one and it’s not even close....I have some neat guitars but nothing compares...

cue sinead with the rare better-than-prince version of any song

integra evan

Reaction score
Btw, before you follow the crowd and replace the “lousy” pickups with Duncan, then have the inlays replaced, do what Bonamassa does and live with it as is for a long time, and see if it truly is a keeper, and get used to playing it with the supplied pickups, you may end up loving them. Trends come and go, but good guitars are always good guitars.
Lol, I mentioned a few posts up that I found a nice set of gold 57 classic pickups that I'm gonna try out in this guitar. Nothing wrong with the stock pickups at all, but I want something a little less hot for this guitar, and these 57s popped up at just the right time for an awesome deal. If I like the 57s in the Classic, I may put the 496/500 combo in a dual HB baritone tele build I'm working on. Gonna wait on the inlays for now.