NGD - 2003 Epi Les Paul Classic Plus - Made in Korea

mr. rj

Reaction score
I wasn't planning on getting this one, but as soon as I saw it and for the price, couldn't resist. $250 US. I thought it was a veneer top like the 2021 Epi 1959 I recently got, but nope, its a full maple top with extra flames. The korean factory went above and beyond with these models. Very happy with this one.

Attachments

mr. rj

Reaction score
A beauty for sure, but your guitar has a nice flame maple veneer on top of an alder cap, as stated in the wiki. I don't think Epiphone has ever had a full maple top showing it's flames or quilt on a Les Paul, always a veneer.

http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/Les_Paul_Classic.php#Les_Paul_Classic_Plus
Hmmm interesting....the reason I posted it as full top is because I reviewed epiphones specs in their 2003 catalog (attached) and their is no mention of an alder top on the classic. But it does say a flame maple top (no mention of a veneer). Its specs the body as mahogany/alder but the top as flame maple only, which also includes the standard. I also have an 03 epi standard, but made in china, with the pup cavities painted over in black coating so I can't tell if the figuring runs all the way through. But if you look at the LP black beauty on the same page it does say Mahoganey/alder top as you mention. I took some pictures and compared it to my 2021 epi59 (below), and epiphone specs the 59 as having a veneer. The pics of the 2003 model appear to have the figuring of flames run from the top to the bottom (ie, the full width of the cap). Whereas the 59 has no figuring at all. I've also attached my 2021 gibby studio with AA flame top, but the flames are too wide to assist in this discussion. My theory is that there were in fact 2 different body woods (mahogany/alder) depending on which factory it came from, china or korea. I guess the bottom line is, which source do you trust? Wiki or Epiphone?

Here is an excerpt from wiki " The information contained in this website may not be 100% complete or accurate. This website is not affiliated with the Epiphone Company or Gibson Guitar Corporation in any way."

Anyhow, I just thought this is healthy debate whether the made in korea do in fact have full maple tops. I am certain someone from this forum can prove my theory otherwise, I'm just going off my own research and what appears to be factual. However I could be wrong also!! ....lol anyway here are the exibits to support my findings....I am curious to see what others think, as I have not researched the forum for related topics, as I'm sure there are lots...

Attachments

Cardinalcomb

Reaction score
Very nice one. I find the korean made have nicer flame and finishes than current models. A lot of the other stuff is iffy such as pickups, QC and neck shapes were all over the map on the several korean models I’ve had.

mr. rj

Reaction score
Very nice one. I find the korean made have nicer flame and finishes than current models. A lot of the other stuff is iffy such as pickups, QC and neck shapes were all over the map on the several korean models I’ve had.
I did a sustain test between my 2006 korean made black beauty and 2017 gibby studio and the epi lasted longer. If i remember correctly, when striking a note, the epi lasted 16 secs and the gibby only 11. I know there's alot of other factors to consider when doing those. But in that instance, the korean epi pickups where great. The pups on this 03 model sound pretty good too.

Cardinalcomb

Reaction score
I did a sustain test between my 2006 korean made black beauty and 2017 gibby studio and the epi lasted longer. If i remember correctly, when striking a note, the epi lasted 16 secs and the gibby only 11. I know there's alot of other factors to consider when doing those. But in that instance, the korean epi pickups where great. The pups on this 03 model sound pretty good too.
you sure have quite the collection. The jb black beauty is sexy AF.

Latest Threads