NGD- 2001 R8 and a few questions for experts here

Lkdog

Reaction score
I just picked this up and am pretty impressed overall.
Have had several historics (R9/R8/R7/R0/G0) and this one sounds and plays as well as any I have had.

Nice weight (9 lbs even) in very good condition and ridiculous vintage looking butterscoth top.
Fretboard is nice dark streaky rosewood.

Here are my questions for those that know more about these than me:

1) It has Kluson tuners. Everyone I have seen before has Grovers. These actually look stock. Is that possible?
2) Related to above- it has very low serial number 8 1470.
3)
Frets are stock and in very good shape and it sets up low with zero buzzing. Frets seem lower profile than other historics. ANy info on what frets they used that year?
4) No COA. The seller was not sure if it came with one, but that year they did have them again after not having them in 2000. I suppose in an early run they possibly might not yet have been providing them. Who knows. Does not worry me.

Thanks and any other info is welcome or if there is a previous known thread here you can point me to ti.
Thanks.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190827115932927_COVER.jpg

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190907111902891_COVER.jpg

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Though you can't see it in the pictures I posted, the 2001 I have for sale in the classifieds right now has Kluson's that are factory original on it. Mine also did come with a COA, hang tags and check list, but as you said, that stuff is all irrelevant....until you go to sell it. LOL.

Beautiful axe you have there!!! Congrats on the acquisition! HNGD!

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
I believe the tuners on there came with it because the hole is smaller than for Grovers. The holes would have had to be retapped unless someone got the Grovers made for that smaller hole which they do have I'm told by someone in here recently. But it looks like these are stock, you would know more looking at the back of the headstock and seeing open screw holes like this.

This is my 2006 Les Paul Classic.

The point being these holes are probably factory on yours and you have factory installed tuners because of the hole size for the tuning pegs to go through from the back to the front.

fMnDmUGu.jpg-large.jpeg
goo3wq6jifhbmv2rm0f9.jpg

See? It's a larger diameter and you would see the outside ring left in the finish on the front of the guitar if if they replaced Grovers with the Klusons.
v71sq1Mw.jpg-large.jpeg

Last edited:

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
nice guitar …..you can go from Kluson's to Grovers with a reaming tool. Once that is done, its difficult to go back to Kluson's because the hole is larger....It will work but the grommet will be looser than it should be.

Which supports yours being original....Unless you find, when you change the strings, the ferrules for the Klusons are loose.

Lkdog

Reaction score
Thanks for input guys.
I will restring it in next couple days and check the tuners a little closer. I have a set of aged Grovers laying around but the Klusons look good to me.

I also have to comment on the 57 Classic pickups. Have never liked them in any guitar. They sound great in this guitar. :hmm:

It does have an RS wiring harness and hovland caps.

Zeppelinguy685

Reaction score
Hi, yes Kluson's were stock on '01 R8s. Some did come with Grovers but those were the Custom Authentics (pre cursor to VOS). And yes it should have a COA. My 01 R8 had one. As far as fret wire, I'm not sure, I had mine refretted. I don't think they were using different fret wire for different models. Hope this helps.

Lkdog

Reaction score
Hi, yes Kluson's were stock on '01 R8s. Some did come with Grovers but those were the Custom Authentics (pre cursor to VOS). And yes it should have a COA. My 01 R8 had one. As far as fret wire, I'm not sure, I had mine refretted. I don't think they were using different fret wire for different models. Hope this helps.
Thanks. That makes sense. This was likely not a Custom Authentic. It does have a fairly glossy top- not dulled.
The hardware is naturally aged and dull though, and there are plenty of minor surface wear scuffs that it could pass for Custom Authentic/VOS level easy now after nearly 20 years.

As for the frets- what I meant and was not very clear was if Gibson doing the historic frets slightly different in that year.
I measured them with a feeler gauge. They are at about .042/.043 height but seem a little wider or flatter than the ones on the 2013 R7 I have sitting here (for sale by the way) :rofl:.

Lkdog

Reaction score
Looks great; love those mineral streaks,

Yeah it is pretty cool top. Have had a few bigtop R9s and this one is a little different somehow. The flames really do not wash out at different angles like some I have had - and the mineral streaks and flecks create a vintage look.
Its like a PRS top with imperfections which gives it a nice vibe. PRS tops are just too pretty. LOL.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190907112001699_COVER.jpg

Last edited:

fleahead

Reaction score
Butterscotch is one of my ab-fab finishes..... and no "unburst" on the lower bout

fleahead

Reaction score
We should have an R8 Butterscotch page, heh heh
70592240_507515619810367_6823684937116286976_n.jpg

Last edited:

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's a 2001? It looks more like a 2011 to me (just based on the inlays from your first pic).

Looks awesome either way! Congrats!

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
those do not look like stock 2001 Kluson tuner buttons, they would have been the snot green they used until after 2011 (my '11 R0 has them.) Probably changed buttons, I used to do that all the time by putting on Uncle Lou's, or somebody swapped out for aftermarket with the swirly buttons. Those look good.

Lkdog

Reaction score
Are you sure it's a 2001? It looks more like a 2011 to me (just based on the inlays from your first pic).

Looks awesome either way! Congrats!

Anything is possible of course..but here is picture of the OHSC. It also came with 57 classics which I was going to replace until I heard them in this guitar. They sound great. Have always hated them. LOL.

Also- I doubt there would be a 2011 with this figured a top as an R8- but you never know............

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190907112741202_COVER.jpg

Last edited:

Lkdog

Reaction score
those do not look like stock 2001 Kluson tuner buttons, they would have been the snot green they used until after 2011 (my '11 R0 has them.) Probably changed buttons, I used to do that all the time by putting on Uncle Lou's, or somebody swapped out for aftermarket with the swirly buttons. Those look good.

Have no clue on that. The back of the tuners is pretty oxidized. That probably does not mean anything though.
You could be right.

hm4Jzof.jpg

Last edited:

fleahead

Reaction score
Interesting about the serial number, whereas mine is a continuous 6 digit, yours has the "Y" + XXXX.

Latest Threads