NGD! 2000 Les Paul Custom

Musha Ring

Reaction score
So I'd been looking for a beater to jam with and not worry about for awhile, and a shop I like a little ways from me had this. It's a 2000 Les Paul Custom, made at the Unsung plant in Korea. It has a limited edition logo on the back of the headstock.

I have no idea what the finish is called. It's like a trans orange/burnt orange. It has a mahogany cap with no veneer. Interestingly, the back appears to be a different species of wood, or at least a noticeably grain.

It weighs exactly 9 lbs and is extremely resonant. It had caught my eye because of the unusual colour so I took it down and was pleased by the weight (my Gibsons weigh more) and I gave it a strum. The whole neck and body vibrated to life. It's more lively than many, many other guitars I've played, even more so than most of my own much more expensive guitars. It has a big 50s neck, exactly like my buddy's 50's Standard, a shade bigger than my 2016 Traditional's, which is exactly the kind of neck I love!

I asked if there was wiggle room on the price and there was, so I took it home. When I got it home and started polishing, cleaning, oiling, and setting it up I was thinking about the mods I'd like to do to it and I noticed it has a bone nut. I decided to see what the pickups were (the volumes coil split). To my surprise they're Gibson USA pickups, which model I'm not sure - neck reads 7.9, the bridge 8.9ish). When I opened the back cavity I was surprised again to see CTS 500k pots and paper in oil caps. The cavities are all shielded. Toggle is switchcraft, though I need to replace it with a gold one.

None of these mods were listed in the ad/the tag and I'm very happy with them. Not only did it save me money, but the guitar sounds absolutely incredible. I mean, it nails the exact sound I hear in my head that I've been wanting from a Les Paul.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with this purchase. It's a super lively, very resonant guitar, in a weird colour I like and it sounds incredible.

Picture time!

20211004_153242-01.jpeg
20211004_172946.jpg
20211004_173009.jpg
20211004_172919.jpg

20211004_173618.jpg

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score
Nice find !

The color seem to be very alive. Would it be possible to see it under natural light with a few outside photos ? It usually shows color much closer to what they actually are.

mr. rj

Reaction score
So I'd been looking for a beater to jam with and not worry about for awhile, and a shop I like a little ways from me had this. It's a 2000 Les Paul Custom, made at the Unsung plant in Korea. It has a limited edition logo on the back of the headstock.

I have no idea what the finish is called. It's like a trans orange/burnt orange. It has a mahogany cap with no veneer. Interestingly, the back appears to be a different species of wood, or at least a noticeably grain.

It weighs exactly 9 lbs and is extremely resonant. It had caught my eye because of the unusual colour so I took it down and was pleased by the weight (my Gibsons weigh more) and I gave it a strum. The whole neck and body vibrated to life. It's more lively than many, many other guitars I've played, even more so than most of my own much more expensive guitars. It has a big 50s neck, exactly like my buddy's 50's Standard, a shade bigger than my 2016 Traditional's, which is exactly the kind of neck I love!

I asked if there was wiggle room on the price and there was, so I took it home. When I got it home and started polishing, cleaning, oiling, and setting it up I was thinking about the mods I'd like to do to it and I noticed it has a bone nut. I decided to see what the pickups were (the volumes coil split). To my surprise they're Gibson USA pickups, which model I'm not sure - neck reads 7.9, the bridge 8.9ish). When I opened the back cavity I was surprised again to see CTS 500k pots and paper in oil caps. The cavities are all shielded. Toggle is switchcraft, though I need to replace it with a gold one.

None of these mods were listed in the ad/the tag and I'm very happy with them. Not only did it save me money, but the guitar sounds absolutely incredible. I mean, it nails the exact sound I hear in my head that I've been wanting from a Les Paul.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with this purchase. It's a super lively, very resonant guitar, in a weird colour I like and it sounds incredible.

Picture time!

View attachment 564001 View attachment 564003 View attachment 564004 View attachment 564005
View attachment 564006
You just made my day with this news! glad you got some nice surprises. I also found some nice features on an epi a couple weeks ago that weren't listed and those findings are always a happy ending...

Blues_Verne

Reaction score

Picture time!

View attachment 564001 View attachment 564003 View attachment 564004 View attachment 564005
View attachment 564006
Man, you got a steal there! Back in 1992 I started a modjob workshop and researched Korean companies for a mini series of MTM guitars. With the help of a German importer I ended up with Unsung and ...guess what? Without even specifying the pickup brand (but only the winding data) for my humbucker models, what they finally shipped and delivered were Gibson and Epiphone branded pups - possibly made in Korea. Hard to believe. Must have been cheaper for them than get new ones wound. Over all Unsung is top notch for OEM.

Latest Threads