2617 is hevy ash
2618 24 fret thinner body
2619 thinner body replaced by the ar300
2622 active electronics thinner body replaced by the ar500
T

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Space.

I guess I need to looker for the lighter, thinner body Artists then. :)

moreles

Reaction score
Great, underappreciated guitars. Ibanez made a huge effort to match or exceed Gibson at that time -- which also happened to be the era of one-ton sustaining builds -- and I they succeeded, but buyers really got stuck on the MIJ aspect back then. These are beautiful, beautiful, well-made guitars! Unfortunately, Ibanez is now reissuing them in crappier form, which doesn't help the older ones get the recognition they deserve. Congratulations!

endial

Reaction score
I've always liked the late 70's and early 80's Ibanez Artist series guitars and heard good things about them, but never had a chance to audition a vintage one in person.
I know I catch myself doubling back on certain NGD posts to lust over certain guitars.
Actually Tex, it's this reason^^ above, in the first quote.

I had a buddy back in the day who had an Artist, and he was kind of a pseudo-
hero. I thought that damned guitar was the most beautiful thing that wasn't
being offered by Gibson at the time, and in that particular era, they (Ibanez)
really were going after the big guns, and impressively so.

I will always want one.

:yesway:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Great, underappreciated guitars. Ibanez made a huge effort to match or exceed Gibson at that time -- which also happened to be the era of one-ton sustaining builds -- and I they succeeded, but buyers really got stuck on the MIJ aspect back then. These are beautiful, beautiful, well-made guitars! Unfortunately, Ibanez is now reissuing them in crappier form, which doesn't help the older ones get the recognition they deserve. Congratulations!
Woah now, have you played any of the reissues? My father bought one last year and it is the only guitar I've ever had come perfectly set up straight from the factory, even the intonation was spot-on. Made in China or not, it's as much an Ibanez as his old one if you ask me.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Woah now, have you played any of the reissues? My father bought one last year and it is the only guitar I've ever had come perfectly set up straight from the factory, even the intonation was spot-on. Made in China or not, it's as much an Ibanez as his old one if you ask me.
You NEVER know how great playing a guitar from Korea,China, Japan....etc. can be until you give it a chance. I've had many electrics and acoustics from these counties and Mexico.

Mexico is making some AMAZING Fender guitars right now. A LOT of bang for the buck.

I am no longer a guitar snob in relation to where a guitar is made or what year it's made. Those days are long gone.

A guitar that plays great and sounds great IS great. Period.

space

Reaction score
Now the world truly is ur oyster
No prejudice=no preconceived notions of quality
enjoy the journey
T

horand

Reaction score
Here´s my 1978 Ibanez Artist 2619
I really like this one, sounds and plays great. I do not think it is comparable with a Gibson Les Paul though - otherwise than you can feel its a really "classy" guitar. It is a different thing soundwise.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
That's a beauty horand.

It's in incredible shape for a '78.

I'm not sure how long you've owned that, but the fact that you still own it says something about how good a guitar it is.

Hold on to that one because I'm sure it's a keeper.

horand

Reaction score
That's a beauty horand.

It's in incredible shape for a '78.

I'm not sure how long you've owned that, but the fact that you still own it says something about how good a guitar it is.

Hold on to that one because I'm sure it's a keeper.
There are a few dings and scratches that doesnt show so well in the photos, but overall - yes, she´s in very good shape for a 38 year old. I have only had her for the last three och four years. It is the kind of guitar its easy to hang on to.

Latest Threads