NGD 1998 R6 Road Warrior

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I almost had a seizure when u said refinish it, but then I read again and you want to do the top only. Those trashed 50's gold tops with the greening and crazy checking are among my favourite Les Pauls, so I guess why not? The value is already down, redoing the top isn't going to hurt the value any more, if you don't mind spending the money for the refin I'd say go for it, it can only look better! There's plenty of mint guitars out there!

How does that happen to a neck? It looks like someone did a relic job on it already.
What's happened with this guitar?
I see something very similar to what happened on my 2008 LP custom. I had a small amount of checking on the back of the neck, and then I got some little pits and dings there too from being just an idiot and banging the guitar around. Anyway, few weeks later I noticed a little air bubble forming under the laquer, starting from one of the little holes in the top coat. The air bubble steadily grew bigger to the size of about a penny. The air was between the layer of paint (white) and the clear coat. The laquer on top of the air bubble was acutally quite flexible, and this is what I think is the cause of the problem. Instead of just cracking or wearing down, because the laquer has so much plastic in it these days, it can actually peel from the guitar. I eventually decided to peel of the laquer and sand it flat to prevent the air bubble from growing further. Same thing happened on a different spot on the neck and I had to sand it down to the wood again to prevent it from growing further.
The pattern of wear on the neck of this R6 really reminds of my own guitar so I feel the same thing happened here too.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Congrats! That's a beautiful goldtop and it has mojo for sure! If you are going to refinish it, I would consider redoing the back as well and in a darker shade, but of course it is your choice!

How do you like the antiquities?

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to give you an update on this guitar. It is currently out east and I am going through with the top refinish. However I am also having the frets worked on as they are in bad shape. I think it’s held up at the shop where Andy is having the fretwork done. So it’s still in the process and I will be sure to update everyone as I get more info. Thanks!

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Congrats! That's a beautiful goldtop and it has mojo for sure! If you are going to refinish it, I would consider redoing the back as well and in a darker shade, but of course it is your choice!

How do you like the antiquities?
The antiquities are actually pretty amazing! When I purchased the guitar I figured I swap the out with ReWinds, ThroBaks, or go vintage 1950s. But then the guitar arrived and I gave them a good test run. Honestly, they sound perfect to my ears. The only thing I changed were the pickup covers themselves, I got genuine 1950s covers off Reverb for them.

catstrat

Reaction score
The antiquities are actually pretty amazing! When I purchased the guitar I figured I swap the out with ReWinds, ThroBaks, or go vintage 1950s. But then the guitar arrived and I gave them a good test run. Honestly, they sound perfect to my ears. The only thing I changed were the pickup covers themselves, I got genuine 1950s covers off Reverb for them.
SD actually does a good P90. I have the SP90s in a LP Custom clone and its one of the few guitars I have where I haven't felt compelled to switch the pickups out.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful piece. I have a '96 R6, I like the older ones because the necks seem to run deeper into the palm but not too much shoulder, a la 1955 profile. Do you have neck measurements on yours to share?

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Beautiful piece. I have a '96 R6, I like the older ones because the necks seem to run deeper into the palm but not too much shoulder, a la 1955 profile. Do you have neck measurements on yours to share?
Unfortunately no measurements on hand, but once the guitar is finished and I have it back I will be sure to take them and update you.

moreles

Reaction score
I'm dense. I don't understand what it means in this instance to have "the top refinished and aged to match the back." Do you mean that you want the top to be damaged like the neck and back? Something else? I can only speak for myself, but if I were to do anything (which I wouldn't unless that neck feels as rough as it looks) it would be to try to reverse the really ugly discolorations in the neck, and maybe do a little smoothing. Maybe it's the pics, or me, but the top looks fine, unless you have some effect in mind.

Latest Threads