NGD: 1998 Les Paul Custom

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been gassing hard for a Black Beauty for a while. Well, for more than three decades now, as this was my first dream guitar ever. But only recently the stars aligned.

The seller was a very nice guy and our trade was a match made in heaven sort of thing. He was looking for a less expensive, more classic Les Paul with slim neck and lower output pickups. Enter my 2011 Traditional ‘60s. We arranged a very reasonable deal, good for both sides, our meeting was pretty quick.

I could tell the guitar was in good shape from the photos, but I honestly wasn’t expecting a case queen, such pristine condition. I also love how the binding is slightly starting to yellow. They can be weirdly white when brand new.

This isn’t my first post-Norlin Custom though and I must say to call them overdressed Standards is such an uneducated statement. They have their own growl, I absolutely love their rounded ’59 semi chunky necks and they’re so consistent. There is something special about them.

I always feel like they’re the unsung heroes of the forum, so here’s to us proud Custom lovers and admirers who aren’t always seduced by historic specs. Thanks for reading this!

LPC1998_001.jpg

LPC1998_002.jpg

LPC1998_003.jpg

LPC1998_004.jpg

LPC1998_005.jpg

fretout

Reaction score
That LPC is in amazing shape! Congratulations! Everyone needs a Black Custom in their stable!

Welcome to the club! Take care of it, but play the heck out of it!

Black Customs show EVERYTHING, so make sure you care for it, and it will continue to look as good as it does now! Just a few pointers of advice informed by experience:

- make sure you invest in some Virtuoso polish,

- use the yellow Gibson cloths to polish it (microfiber tends to leave artifacts)

- always “dust” the guitar BEFORE you polish it, so that you don’t accidentally scratch the finish,

- make sure you post your pics in the Black Customs thread!

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! And thank you for the valuable tips!
I'll sure post it in the Black Customs thread later on as well.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
I always feel like they’re the unsung heroes of the forum, so here’s to us proud Custom lovers and admirers
Indeed. Some of the threads on here will make your eyes roll. I always love it when people write it off as being "just a black guitar".

Guarantee you that 9/10 of those dudes then go on to get themselves worked up about yet another boring flametop.

who aren’t always seduced by historic specs.
Until you get into the world of historic customs...

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I'm still so stoked!
It's been amazing discovering all the nuances and features.

I love how it sounds hoarse in the bridge, like a voice worn by cigarettes and bourbon or something. I know it's the hot 498t talking, but still, very nice.

(I apologize in advance for the mild flood coming soon in other Black Beauty threads :thumb:)

Saiko

Reaction score
Congrats on the guitar, Customs are awesome instruments! Glad you like the 498 as well, they are definitely unique!

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until you get into the world of historic customs...
I'd say both me and my wallet are still recovering from this one, but never say never.
Sometimes I can't help but wonder how an all-hog '57 RI would sound and feel.
So you are definitely on to something.

If you're so inclined, post some pics of her here too:

Post Your Black (Beauty) Les Paul Customs
I try to, but every time I browse this thread, I get lost. And by the time I move on, I don't even remember why I ended up there in the first place other than to admire all those beauties. But I'll do it pretty soon!

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try to, but every time I browse this thread, I get lost. And by the time I move on, I don't even remember why I ended up there in the first place other than to admire all those beauties. But I'll do it pretty soon!
I read ya sk. I'd take one of everyone of those beauties in that Thread, excluding mine of course. I wouldn't mind having another of each of mine though tool. :laugh2:

Looking forward to you adding your's when you get the chance!

:cheers2:

Latest Threads