NGD: 1997 Gibson Les Paul Elegant Firemist

Oleynior

Reaction score
They are a little different. The Elegants had what Gibson referred to as "dynamic sound chambers":

The Chambered Reissue guitars had a more thorough chambering:

Mine weighs 8.04 lbs so it's still got some heft to it.
Elegants are chambered - and it's the same chambered style that Chambered Reissue had. This is Gibson flyer:

Even so, I checked it myself. I put on a X-ray my 1999 Elegant. It's chambered:

MSB

Reaction score
That is really, really nice.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
Elegants are chambered - and it's the same chambered style that Chambered Reissue had. This is Gibson flyer:

Even so, I checked it myself. I put on a X-ray my 1999 Elegant. It's chambered:

Hey great info! Thanks for the correction. The '97 model year had a few differences from the rest of the years (like a different tenon and the CS wreath on the headstock), and I had always seen the dynamic chambers shown like the illustration I posted. I may have to X-ray mine to see if it is different or the same as yours.

Nice Elegant, BTW. :thumb:

SASouth

Reaction score
I've been looking at these for a long time and have been wanting one of the 1997 vintage and finally found one. These are "love it or hate it" guitars. If you like these, you like them because of the chambering, the abalone inlays, and (for the 1997 year) the Custom Shop wreath on the headstock. If you hate these, it's because of all of that as well. This one is in great shape with a nice ebony board and in rare Firemist:

I owned one that looked identical yours back in 2001. Mine was 7 9257. I didn’t bond with it and sold or traded it away. I don’t remember which. I can probably dig up some photos if anyone wants to see them.

Macronaut

Reaction score
Damn, that’s really nice!

I’m wondering what Gibson considers Firemist? My Custom is supposed to be Firemist but has amber/yellow to orange along with red. Perhaps it’s the red.......?

Attachments

Last edited:

Filipem

Reaction score
Now that is everything a custom shop Les Paul should be.

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Super example of the Elegant model! I think the clear pickguards were something exclusive to the Elegant model, having not ever seen them included with another model LP. All Elegants have sweet tops (flamed or quilted) as one of their defining features, along with the abalone inlays...which the ones on your '97 are really nice!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats, that is a beautiful guitar, Happy NGD!

BigTim

Reaction score
Man that thing is a very beautiful guitar. I have never saw one before but that just means I am kind of sheltered. I think the headstock logo inlay looks real nice too. And those abalone inlays!!!! Yes sir looks awesome with the ebony board especially. Nothing I would not be proud to own myself!! Congrats to you!!

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's the one I owned back in 2001 - 2002. It's the twin of his.

View attachment 357996View attachment 357997
Yes, that's a fantastic top too, and it looks like yours came in the Custom Art & Historic black case (the cases were hit-or-miss on these because it was a transition year). Hopefully someone else is enjoying it as much as you did.

I've been playing this guitar a lot this week and I've heard many people say the mid-to-late 90s were the sweet spot for awesome Gibson Custom Shop guitars and based on mine I can see why. One of the best playing guitars I own!

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Tha headstock is bananas awesome :drool:

Wow, what a cool guitar...

It’s these types of guitars I never saw that make me love this site...

Couldn’t be happier for u...AWESOME guitar

-Chris

DonP

Reaction score
I liked the firemist when I saw one back in 1997. Too much $ at the time to purchase one.

scozz

Reaction score
Gorgeous LPs!! :eek2:

That chambering looks very much like a semi- hollowbody,....