NGD: 1994 Flying V '67 "Reissue"

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excited to rejoin the "V" club with this '67 Reissue (USA, not Custom Shop) Flying V. It's not a really dark cherry finish and an equally dark fretboard. In typical fashion for me with a non-vintage guitar, I already planned some mods prior to it even arriving. Currently, I've got a Faber tone lock bridge and tailpiece on it, but I may actually dowel and drill it for a proper ABR-1 at some point. I also bought a short vibrola to complete the '67 look, but haven't put that on there and may never. I keep trying to come up with a solution to hide the bass-side tailpiece stud hole that would be visible and haven't come up with a good one.

Anyway, it's got the stock pickups, which I think are ceramics, but that's kind of what I grew up with on my first Gibson (a '93 LP Studio Lite), so they sound good to me. I did replace the chrome covers with some raw nickel ones, which isn't consistent with the true '67 look, but I just like it much better, so whatever. :)

One of the original tuners had been replaced for some reason, so I went ahead and got some double-line double-ring Klusons for it.

It had a really low setup when I got it, which played great for rhythm, but was a little dicey for me when trying to bend, so I raised that a bit when I changed out the bridge and changed the strings. It plays just right now. I also spent some time really dialing in the intonation and also the pickup height balance, etc.

I got around to taking some pics the other day. I was waiting for some some knob pointers that I ordered before Christmas, but they still hadn't arrived, so I just gave up. They arrived literally later that day after almost a month, so I took an additional pic with the case just to have them in there even if only in a single pic. :laugh2:

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Congrats, it's good to have a V and that's a nice looking one!

mdubya

Reaction score
That is a cool guitar!

It needs some Patent No. clones or early T-Tops.

Vibramate keeps threatening to make an adapter for Maestros. No dice for a few years, though.

My 1995 Firebird V was called a "Reissue" too. But it was a USA model. Still, I think these were made with some extra attention. Does it have a pink and tan case from that era?

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Looks great, Vs are killer guitars. I couldn't believe how comfortable they are to play. More so than a LP imo.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a cool guitar!

It needs some Patent No. clones or early T-Tops.

Vibramate keeps threatening to make an adapter for Maestros. No dice for a few years, though.

My 1995 Firebird V was called a "Reissue" too. But it was a USA model. Still, I think these were made with some extra attention. Does it have a pink and tan case from that era?
Yep, my favorite cases that Gibson has ever sold with their guitars. :thumb:

Here is the short vibrola just set on top of the tailpiece to give an idea of what it would look like.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet guitar and very nice photos as well. I like the aged pickup covers and tailpiece.

Latest Threads