Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So happy for u..

the only bad thing about a new guitar is the wait for shipping ha

-Chris

lawrev

Reaction score
And here they are! The color is a deep red / wine, a few nicks and dings on the body and headstock. Very good shape for a near 34 year old guitar. The guitar is stock but for the installed Lollar P90 (original P90 came with). Based on the serial number it was built in October 1986.

A bit heavy at 8.5 pounds but it feels substantial. The neck seems to be between a slim taper and a 50s cut. Came with a Gibson USA hardshell case.

Very impressed with it so far. Now comes the playing.... :)

1986 LP Junior 7.jpg 1986 LP Junior 6.jpg 1986 LP Junior 5.jpg 1986 LP Junior 4.jpg 1986 LP Junior 3.jpg 1986 LP Junior 2.jpg 1986 LP Junior 1.jpg

lawrev

Reaction score
Just gave it a bit of playing time. Feels excellent in the left hand - the neck is a nice in the middle player and I love the Lollar! Never owned that particular brand. Very sensitive to playing attack and easy for it to crunch. Sounds much better than the more recent Gibson P90s in the new guitars I purchased. Need to take off the control panel yet to see the pots, but the guy I purchased it from (who purchased it from the original owner 1 month ago) said those are stock.

Since it weighs a bit more than your normal Jr and more in line with a Standard, it has the feel of a traditional Les Paul Standard. Which I do love.

Not a true historic and a bit of a modded Junior from the late Norlin era, I am very pleased with the purchase.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Not a true historic and a bit of a modded Junior from the late Norlin era, I am very pleased with the purchase.
Prehistorics are their own kind of bliss...they live between the end of Norlin and the Rule of Henry the J.

Lots of experiments good and not so good came out of that time frame, but for the most part they are solid, heavy, and well made instruments.

Enjoy that unique guitar in good health! :cheers:

lawrev

Reaction score
Prehistorics are their own kind of bliss...they live between the end of Norlin and the Rule of Henry the J.

Lots of experiments good and not so good came out of that time frame, but for the most part they are solid, heavy, and well made instruments.

Enjoy that unique guitar in good health! :cheers:
Built well. Even some Custom Shop guitars today get Grovers on certain reissues. There was a double cut junior with a humbucker and Grovers a couple years back which I loved. The TOM, well, not historic but I am not complaining.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Built well. Even some Custom Shop guitars today get Grovers on certain reissues. There was a double cut junior with a humbucker and Grovers a couple years back which I loved. The TOM, well, not historic but I am not complaining.
Yup, that's what I meant by experimenting... they didn't always stick to the past way of building them.

Could have been as much as 'lets update the bridge to modern and save re-tooling the machines' to 'what tuners do we have in the bins'? 'Put 'em on!' :laugh2:

lawrev

Reaction score
Yup, that's what I meant by experimenting... they didn't always stick to the past way of building them.

Could have been as much as 'lets update the bridge to modern and save re-tooling the machines' to 'what tuners do we have in the bins'? 'Put 'em on!' :laugh2:
Which is probably what they were saying when they were building those $99 Juniors back in the 50s. :)

endial

Reaction score
Oh, man...
...that COLOR!

Contrasts brilliantly with the black ... and then ... GOLD.

1595721254843.png

Sweeeeet.

Pics worth the wait. Congrats!

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
For being an end of the Norlin era guitar, it is very impressive!

don't let the date fool you, some great ones came out during this period.

That thing really is F-ing sweet, its a hodgepodge of goodness and if you had said it had a fat neck, I would really hate you, but i love the mini grovers, so many, non normals

i hope it treats you well over the years

and pics never hurt

lawrev

Reaction score

That thing really is F-ing sweet, its a hodgepodge of goodness and if you had said it had a fat neck, I would really hate you, but i love the mini grovers, so many, non normals

and pics never hurt
Yea, it is not as fat as the VOS TVs and Juniors, but not as slim as the BJA Juniors from 2 years ago.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score

and pics never hurt
Mazactly!!!!

:h5:

Reactions: MSB

Latest Threads