NGD: 1986 Gibson Explorer - Specs?

mr. moon

Reaction score
Hi. Thinking about adding a non-pickguard Gibson explorer to my cadre of guitars. I'm looking at a 1986 explorer and cannot seem to find any specific info about them. I've searched this forum and the Google-verse at large, and haven't come up with much. If anyone knows of any specific info resources that they could share (link, etc.), that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

caveman

Reaction score
I have 2 Explorers from 1984 that have no pickguard and the controls arranged like a triangle instead of in a straight line. Not sure if a 1986 model would have the same specs, but both of mine have Alder bodies and Maple necks instead of Mahogany....and I think one has an Ebony board from the color of the wood. The original pickups have all been changed except for one neck pickup. I believe they would have been Dirty Fingers humbuckers. I can pull it to check. Hope this helps

mr. moon

Reaction score
Well, I got it!!

100% Awesome!!! ...Well, except for the Kahler Flyer bridge that came with it. I purchased a new fixed Kahler bridge, and now it is 100% awesome!

Here's info:

Wood Composition: Mahogany body, Maple neck, Ebony fingerboard

Design Elements: Dual uncovered "Dirty Fingers" humbuckers, two volume and one tone control, roller drum vibrato tailpiece

233172 (1)(1)sm1.jpg
233172 (1)sm2.jpg
233172 (7)(1)sm1.jpg

wmachine

Reaction score
Nice! Pretty good (and classic) Explorers being made then.

mr. moon

Reaction score
It compares favorably with my 2008 Explorer AND it does not have a pickguard, which is the one feature I do not like on Explorers. The neck is in great shape, size is somewhere between a '59 and slimmer 60's neck. The finish is in great condition, with only a couple minor wear marks which almost appear to have been caused by the case, funny enough. With the original Kahler, it sounded a bit "dull", but once I put on the fixed Kahler bridge, it has a nice chime to it acoustically. Pickups are original (Dirty Fingers, I think) and good, but I have to tweak them more into the sound I'm after. Weight is reasonable, actually less than the '09 Explorer, and has a good playing feel and balance.

I have had it for several weeks now so the honeymoon period is over, but I still get inspiration from the guitar and that's what matters most to me.

Last edited:

mr. moon

Reaction score
Here are a few more shots from the store I purchased it from which showcase not only the great condition it is in, but also the store employee who took the shots ( :dude: ):

front-close.jpg
back-neck.jpg
back-topdown.jpg
back-topdown2.jpg

My Les Paul Classifieds