NGD: 1981 Silverburst Custom

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Nice man! Looks minty. What's the status on the pickups/electronics - was the bridge pickup replaced, or is it just the cover missing?
Had a look and the bridge pot was changed, same with caps. Now with orange drops.
Bridge pickup is a JB antiquity.
I have all the original bits and pieces with extra tuners and chrome switch tips.
Edit: stole the neck orange drop out of it and soldered it into my 79 with a DDJ.
Haven’t had a chance to try it yet as it got too late.

Last edited:

decoy205

Reaction score
Congrats! That’s a great piece!! What’s the weight on that bad boy?

ARandall

Reaction score
Hey, good to see the SB count is increasing.

Slight off topic. I'm interested to know what the level of natural aging is on the plastics of your more aged on vs the 81.
Is the guard still really bright like what I've got on my 'clone', or is the white section a bit on the yellowed side??
DSC_0392.JPG

DSC_0394.JPG

Daniel.S

Reaction score
79 bottom 81 top. Really hasn’t aged much, but is definitely not as white as yours.
3681A6C4-7724-461A-9D66-F1559D801B3D.jpeg

ARandall

Reaction score
Thanks Dan.
I used some amber dye on the TRC to reduce the starkness of the white, but forgot to do it on the PG. Looks like a light mix might do the trick.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
No probs!

So I got busy today and removed most of the hardware so I could give it a thorough polish.

Installed a set of Posi Loks I had that were faded gold, so polished them till they were chrome.

Installed different Schaller tuners and soldered in the other DDJ I bought.

Vacuumed the case and cleaned the outside.
Gave the latches and hinges some silicone spray I use for hinges and what not around the house.

New strings and tried to set it up, but it needs to sit for a day with the new strings before I give it a proper setup. Getting some crappy buzz from the 2nd fret to the 10th roughly so called it quits.
A9FF6D6E-C8DA-43D8-B7B0-4BABC82DE88A.jpeg
A12CC038-6597-4356-A837-6E7DE81EBF97.jpeg

ARandall

Reaction score
My 75 has that sort of grain pattern to the f/b as well in spots.

Were they a different gauge string set?? Unless your neck is massively reactive I wouldn't expect a small amount of time without strings to cause the TR pressure upbow to make itself known.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
My 75 has that sort of grain pattern to the f/b as well in spots.

Were they a different gauge string set?? Unless your neck is massively reactive I wouldn't expect a small amount of time without strings to cause the TR pressure upbow to make itself known.
Cool!

Yeah I put on a heavier set. It needed a bit of relief actually and it seems much nice now.

ARandall

Reaction score
Its odd. Usually a heavier set would pull the neck into more relief, and you have to reduce it (tighten the rod nut) to take it back to where the thinner set was.
But a new (to you) guitar that has just been shipped can be a bit all over the place, and 'usual' rules are a little in flux.
I'd still pay it a little more attention in the short term as it most likely will need more settling time anyhow......not to mention the slight 'opposite' effects you've reported.
Do the strings appear to be moving through the nut slots??? Thats the other part about thicker strings that also might become an issue.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
The strings are sitting nicely in the slots
I'm still going to give it a tweak here and there over the next few days if I notice any changes.

Latest Threads