NGD: 1980 Greco EG 700

dropthepuck

Reaction score
I've been thinking about vintage Japanese LP's for a few years now. With an eye to picking up something with some wear & tear that I wouldn't feel too bad about tearing apart bit by bit and really experimenting with different wiring/tuners/pickups etc.

After watching dozens and dozens of listings over the last while I narrowed in on what I wanted as must haves (late 70s to early 80s, tobacco burst w/fret nibs) and finally pulled the trigger earlier this week. Shockingly it was door to door (Japan to Canada) in less 48 hours, I figured with COVID and the stories about supply chains I'd be 2 weeks out minimum.

Luckily enough it turned up way early :)

greco-eg700-1.jpg greco-eg700-2.jpg greco-eg700-3.jpg greco-eg700-4.jpg

This thing is heavy & solid, 10.4lb, which feels like a boat anchor compared to my 9lb LPJ, but also rings like a bell.

As you can see in the pics it needs some love, which is why I bought it, I've already managed to adjust the truss rod to take care of some fret buzz, which is something I've always been too scared to with any of my other guitars over the years!

EG700

Reaction score
I've been thinking about vintage Japanese LP's for a few years now. With an eye to picking up something with some wear & tear that I wouldn't feel too bad about tearing apart bit by bit and really experimenting with different wiring/tuners/pickups etc.

After watching dozens and dozens of listings over the last while I narrowed in on what I wanted as must haves (late 70s to early 80s, tobacco burst w/fret nibs) and finally pulled the trigger earlier this week. Shockingly it was door to door (Japan to Canada) in less 48 hours, I figured with COVID and the stories about supply chains I'd be 2 weeks out minimum.

View attachment 564550 View attachment 564551 View attachment 564552 View attachment 564553

This thing is heavy & solid, 10.4lb, which feels like a boat anchor compared to my 9lb LPJ, but also rings like a bell.

As you can see in the pics it needs some love, which is why I bought it, I've already managed to adjust the truss rod to take care of some fret buzz, which is something I've always been too scared to with any of my other guitars over the years!
Nice! I have 2 like that too, from 1978, and for the same reason. What pickups are you thinking of trying?

I want to fool around with any or all of U3000/Dimarzio PAF, '57 Classic, or SD SH4/SH2 sets. But the stock U2000s sound so nice that I haven't had the heart to take anything out yet!

77 EG700b 4.JPG 78 EG700 1.jpg

dropthepuck

Reaction score
Nice! I have 2 like that too, from 1978, and for the same reason. What pickups are you thinking of trying?

I want to fool around with any or all of U3000/Dimarzio PAF, '57 Classic, or SD SH4/SH2 sets. But the stock U2000s sound so nice that I haven't had the heart to take anything out yet!

View attachment 566933 View attachment 566932

Very cool!

After a couple weeks of play I’ve decided I’m happy enough with the bridge pickup to leave well enough alone for now, but the neck pickup isn’t quite cleaning up the way I’d like when rolling off the volume. I tried raising it a bit which helped with the tone, but seemed to introduce more fret buzz, I assume from getting the magnets closer to the strings.

So for that reason I‘ve decided to focus on the neck pickup, this morning I ordered two humbucker sized P-90s from GFS, the dream/mean 90 so I can give both a try and in the neck and see how I like them. I’ve never had a guitar with P-90s before, so I figure the combination with a bridge humbucker is a good first step!

Eigen

Reaction score
Sweet guitar!

I have its brother same year also no script, how high up are you on the serial numbers? I'm at 0 19XX.

A bit heavy, but very resonant and a bit on the brighter side, really got that Tele on steroids thing going on. Personally I do not mind the U-2000's they are a bit on the brighter side again, but so were PAF's. Have you changed out the pots or are they original? These old grecos came with 300k or something strange for the pots made them a bit muddier.

greco14.jpg

dropthepuck

Reaction score
Mine is 0 37XX not sure how far off that would be from yours in that case.

Thus far other than taking it a apart for a cleaning and fresh strings I haven’t made any modifications yet aside from removing the pick guard. I’m not sure if these are the original pots or not, as when I opened it up I was surprised to see the cavity was shielded already… would it have come from the factory like that?

Attachments

• 74BBA1E4-EA54-40C2-AF4D-0C55848B5DD7.jpeg
    74BBA1E4-EA54-40C2-AF4D-0C55848B5DD7.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 369B1CC1-0004-453D-9E54-69D1E24CC64F.jpeg
    369B1CC1-0004-453D-9E54-69D1E24CC64F.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 22

zeneffect

Reaction score
Looks original to me, not the shielding though. That should have been black paint I think.

EG700

Reaction score
Looks original to me, not the shielding though. That should have been black paint I think.

Your pots look original to me, too. Hard to tell for sure, but their numbers seem to resemble mine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Greco LPs got black paint until 1990, on the ones made by Cort in Korea. I think the Terada ones lacked shielding, as did all the Fujigen ones, though Wulfman is the one to confirm - he has posted photos of the pick-up cavities from a Terada Greco LP around here someplace.

The pic below is the pots cavity for my 1982 EG59/50. Completely innocent of any shielding whatsoever!

I am thinking to get an Emerson kit for my EG700 "mule" before playing around with pickups, just to be sure there are no tone-limiting factors going on that might be related to 50-year-old pots and weird pot sizes.

82 EG59-50 21 s.jpg

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
I think they did use that shielding in 1980. I's probably all original.

Eigen

Reaction score
Mine was all original when I got it. it came with the same shielding.

Yours look original as well, down to the red markings on the volume pots.
greco5.jpg

EG700

Reaction score
I think they did use that shielding in 1980. I's probably all original.

Like this, you mean? This is a screenshot of a '77 EG700 on Yahoo Japan right now.

Numbers (from what can be seen) appear consistent with his pots, and mine.

Capture.JPG

kennyandy

Reaction score

View attachment 564550 View attachment 564551 View attachment 564552 View attachment 564553

This color and the slightly relic arm rest edge just look gorgeous, great one you've picked up

dropthepuck

Reaction score
This color and the slightly relic arm rest edge just look gorgeous, great one you've picked up

Thanks! Yeah I specifically wanted something “player’s grade” and this one fit the bill in the looks department. Plays and sounds great as well, but I’m still getting used to the weight!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have 3 in the heifer weight category too and one is a Greco. The others are an Aria and a Bacchus.

EG700

Reaction score
I have 3 in the heifer weight category too and one is a Greco. The others are an Aria and a Bacchus.

What year/model is the Aria?

I have a 1978 LS600 which I brought with me while in 14-day quarantine right now, and I'm finding myself wishing I had packed a wide shoulder strap rather than a standard-width one.

Roxy13

Reaction score
What year/model is the Aria?

I have a 1978 LS600 which I brought with me while in 14-day quarantine right now, and I'm finding myself wishing I had packed a wide shoulder strap rather than a standard-width one.

It's a 78 and it took the Norlin thing seriously as far as weight goes. The funny part though is I also have a 79 with the pancake body and 3p maple neck and it's a nice 9lb. And I have an 81 with the traditional construction and it's just a bit over 9lb as well.

EG700

Reaction score
Maybe I shoulda packed my Yamaha Super R'n'Roller for this trip instead * SLAP! * Owww!!!. No, I shall stop being a wimp, and anyway, the LS needs fretwork, for which I'll find a luthier while I'm here in NZ.

Latest Threads