NGD: 1980 Gibson Les Paul Standard

J_Euphoria

Reaction score
Never in a million years would I ever think that I would own a Gibson Les Paul. After saving money, and pulling some strings, I was able to buy this beauty; and for a sweet price too!

I replaced the stock strap buttons with period-correct diamond-shaped Posi-Lock pins.

I was debating between an older Standard/Deluxe or a newer '05 Les Paul Classic. I chose tis one because of the maple neck. I was a Stratocaster player for the longest time, so the worn maple neck feels like an old friend.

The pickups aren't stock. They were replaced with a pair of vintage DiMarzio humbuckers. This thing oozes Ace, and I can't get enough of it!

Thanks for checking it out! Cheers!

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a '79 Custom that I bought new, and have an '81 Deluxe. I like the guitars from the Norlin period, and yours is a beaut. The wear on the neck screams that it was played a lot, probably means it plays well. Enjoy it, brother.

I think your guitar has the Gibson tuners with the tulip stamped on the back, if so those are the kind my Deluxe has and they hold tune quite well. :beer:

J_Euphoria

Reaction score
... I think your guitar has the Gibson tuners with the tulip stamped on the back, if so those are the kind my Deluxe has and they hold tune quite well. :beer:
Good eye! They are indeed stamped! I love the look and the overalll functionality of them. Cheers! :cheers2:

gball

Reaction score
Love it! Man, I wish they still did the burst on the back of them like that.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
congratulations Josh and welcome to the club......

you are correct, it has been Aced...super distortion in the bridge and a PAF pro in the neck...great combo.

DarrellV

Don't bring me down....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very Nice, OP!! Welcome to the inner circle of Les Pauls! LOL!!
Norlin era Lesters are great working man's tools without the snobbery that sometimes goes along with the brand.
For those that discover them and appreciate them they have a unique charm (and weight!) all their own!

Love the Posi locks! I put them and the speedwinder tuners on my 82!

I won't ever part with mine, like you, it was a once in a lifetime thing that took me 34 years to accomplish.

But I won't part with it now for anything. I bought it on sight and never played it. It was a gamble, I know.

But it is everything I could have wanted or hoped for in sound and playability! I and some others in here have found the 80-90 period to be some of the best playing and sounding work Gibson had done in a while. Not exclusively, of course. But they are from a very industrious time in Gibson history and are usually very well made.

Mine has the factory Tim Shaws and I just love the toanez they give me!

Enjoy that beauty for years to come!:cheers:

J_Euphoria

Reaction score
Very Nice, OP!! Welcome to the inner circle of Les Pauls! LOL!!
Norlin era Lesters are great working man's tools without the snobbery that sometimes goes along with the brand.
For those that discover them and appreciate them they have a unique charm (and weight!) all their own!

Love the Posi locks! I put them and the speedwinder tuners on my 82!
I totally agree with you as far as the snobbery goes; and yeah, this guitar is not light! This beautiful specimen weighs 10.1 lbs.

The Posi-Locks are definitely a good look! I've been toying with the idea of speedwinding tuners, but I'm not certain! We shall see. Cheers!

DarrellV

Don't bring me down....
Premium Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with you as far as the snobbery goes; and yeah, this guitar is not light! This beautiful specimen weighs 10.1 lbs.

The Posi-Locks are definitely a good look! I've been toying with the idea of speedwinding tuners, but I'm not certain! We shall see. Cheers!
Mine checks in at 11 pounds...

I have found the speed winders helpful during mods and tweaks as well as string changes!
Posi Locks!

capnjim

Reaction score
Very cool...do you like the low wide frets? I just got a '72 SG with frets like that and they are by far my favorite frets. I had a '79 "fretless wonder" and sold it many years ago and I still remember it being one of the best playing guitars ever.
I can't play guitars with tall skinny frets for some reason.

Latest Threads