NGD! 1979 LPC Silverburst

Daniel.S

Reaction score
The 300 and 100k pots are dark sounding and sort of blanket the tone. Also good CTS or other top shelf pots have a much smoother and even taper. A pot upgrade would most definitely open up the tone and control of a Norlin Custom. I haven’t done mine because it is a pristine all original example but it’s very tempting. Usually I would even take out the electronics from a new Historic because Gibson pots are not as good.
Ah so that’s what’s in these! My 81 is louder surprisingly. Hmmm

Zakmichael

Reaction score
Does the 81 have different pots? It can definitely brighten up the guitar and give more output. You should do some clips between the two. I’d be interested to hear the results. See what the 81 has for a wiring harness and snap some pics for us.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Does the 81 have different pots? It can definitely brighten up the guitar and give more output. You should do some clips between the two. I’d be interested to hear the results. See what the 81 has for a wiring harness and snap some pics for us.
Was thinking about doing a video actually!
I'll post pics ASAP

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Errr... so I had the pickup way too high. A mistake on my part! I lowered it then actually measured my 81's and now they sound the same. Perfect! :D

Zakmichael

Reaction score
Yeah, both stock wiring. I wish they would’ve put in a ground wire to the tailpiece. That would have made them much easier to get rid of the grounding plate and ash tray. Of course running a ground wire across the pots would have taken them 1 minute longer so no dice. I’d really like to take all that stuff out and do the jack and switch all braided wire and 50s wiring to get the most tone out of the T Tops. I dare not take a drill to my guitar though.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Yeah, both stock wiring. I wish they would’ve put in a ground wire to the tailpiece. That would have made them much easier to get rid of the grounding plate and ash tray. Of course running a ground wire across the pots would have taken them 1 minute longer so no dice. I’d really like to take all that stuff out and do the jack and switch all braided wire and 50s wiring to get the most tone out of the T Tops. I dare not take a drill to my guitar though.
Ok so where should I add the added wire? Tone pot to tone pot?
I’ve looked at Adams wiring and I think he does something like that.

Zakmichael

Reaction score
You can run a 20 gauge buss wire around the pots but that does the same thing as the metal plate. Really to get a mechanical ground you’d need a ground wire from the pots to the tailpiece bushing. I’ll email you a pic of proper 50’a wiring with the ground wire. Adam seems to have the pots additionally grounded and possibly a ground from the bridge or tailpiece to the neck volume pot. He has some weird stuff going on there that I think is unnecessary.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
You can run a 20 gauge buss wire around the pots but that does the same thing as the metal plate. Really to get a mechanical ground you’d need a ground wire from the pots to the tailpiece bushing. I’ll email you a pic of proper 50’a wiring with the ground wire. Adam seems to have the pots additionally grounded and possibly a ground from the bridge or tailpiece to the neck volume pot. He has some weird stuff going on there that I think is unnecessary.
Hmm yeah I know about the tailpiece grounding. My 2010 LPC has it, but still has ground hum.
So maybe he has a wire coming from the back of the pickup or the mounting plate? Probably has overkill just to eliminate the noise.

grumphh

Reaction score
This i don't get.
The metal container around the electronics does exactly what it is intended to do - why change it?
(At least my '79 LPC is hum/buzz free...)

...i mean, i can see experimenting with pot values etc to change the tone characteristics makes sense - but installing a ground wire to the bridge, when there presumably is no actual problem with buzz, is sort of daft, isn't it?

Daniel.S

Reaction score
This i don't get.
The metal container around the electronics does exactly what it is intended to do - why change it?
(At least my '79 LPC is hum/buzz free...)

...i mean, i can see experimenting with pot values etc to change the tone characteristics makes sense - but installing a ground wire to the bridge, when there presumably is no actual problem with buzz, is sort of daft, isn't it?
:dunno::laugh2:

Zakmichael

Reaction score
The ground to the tailpiece grounds the strings and can additionally make the guitar quieter. I'd assume that in Adam Jone's case, playing 3 amps at arena show volumes, every little bit counts when it comes to getting rid of unwanted noise.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
The ground to the tailpiece grounds the strings and can additionally make the guitar quieter. I'd assume that in Adam Jone's case, playing 3 amps at arena show volumes, every little bit counts when it comes to getting rid of unwanted noise.
Especially with that old Marshall of his! Haha!

grumphh

Reaction score
idk - quiet is already quiet... The point is that those metal surrounds actually work, and my '79 is exceptionally quiet.

...and not all of us* play stadiums with three actual tube amps turned up - but of course, the true internet warrior is prepared for any situation, because, as Yngwie states : "More is more!" so "more quiet is more better!" :D

* Presumably a great understatement...

Daniel.S

Reaction score
idk - quiet is already quiet... The point is that those metal surrounds actually work, and my '79 is exceptionally quiet.

...and not all of us* play stadiums with three actual tube amps turned up - but of course, the true internet warrior is prepared for any situation, because, as Yngwie states : "More is more!" so "more quiet is more better!" :D

* Presumably a great understatement...
My guitars were dead quiet until I installed the JB :)

Zakmichael

Reaction score
That’s the pickups grounding to your body. That’s why grounding the strings with a tailpiece ground works.

grumphh

Reaction score
My guitars were dead quiet until I installed the JB :)
Fun, how i haven't modded my '79 and it is absolutely quiet, eh? :D

...pickup covers were put on pickups for a reason - they too are shields against interference.

That’s the pickups grounding to your body. That’s why grounding the strings with a tailpiece ground works.
Actually grounding the strings only works if you constantly put pressure on the strings, or your right hand is always in contact with the strings/bridge.

I do have a few guitars that have (more or less) severe buzzing going on, where only a very firm left hand pressure ensures connectivity enough to secure connection to ground. In my case i can alter the loudness of buzz by altering the finger pressure. (More pressure, less buzz).

My right hand does not rest on the strings/bridge but floats above them, only touching them occasionally, which results in unplesant noises when i do touch them - little electric noises as the connection is closed or broken - on those buzzy guitars i'd have to wear some sort of connective bracelet with a wire to the bridge on my right hand to make the string ground work.

String grounding only works for some players*, and is not a miracle cure.

* Those with gorilla grip/bad technique? :D

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Alright! Well I went to adjust the low E intonation and the screw head snapped off!
In hindsight I should have lightly oiled all of the screws as they're pretty corroded.

Best place to get a replacement bridge? Haha! Obviously needs to be a vintage Schaller one. Or can I replace the screw?

Edit: I got lucky and it's perfectly intonated. Phew! I was able to move it just enough with my finger and screwdriver. That was a close one, but some opinions would be good for future reference if I ever run into intonation problems with it.

Last edited: