NGD! 1979 LPC Silverburst

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Congrats!! Beauty!
Please post lots of pics with the new pickup and without guard so we can fully appreciate the silver!

Were you specifically looking for a ‘79 and if so why?
Not specifically a “79. It just happened that this one came up for sale at a great price and in decent condition.
I’ll get some photos today. If I don’t forgot while playing it hahaha

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Sweet!! My OCD tells me your pickup switch needs to be straightened :)
Personally i'd consider to remove the neck PU cover for the bad-ass look

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Sweet!! My OCD tells me your pickup switch needs to be straightened :)
Personally i'd consider to remove the neck PU cover for the bad-ass look
I did realign it after this was taken, but I do have it tilted slightly crooked so I can hit it quickly as a kill switch.
I’ll rock this look for a while. I wouldn’t remove the cover. I don’t want to ruin the integrity of the original pickup ;).

grumphh

Reaction score
Here you go guys. An all perfect even colour over the whole guitar. ;)
I also took a quick snap of the bridge pickup before I stored it away. View attachment 420110
Nahhh... taking this out to the public would probably give you at least a citation for indecent exposure in most states, i bet - although at least it has a bit more than a g-string on....

Jk. :D

...sort of, i still think they look better with pg on! :mad2: I've got the stake ready, now, who brings the lighter fluid?

Then again, all that really matters is how it plays and sounds, and apparently you are happy with it, so who cares about what a bunch of strangers think about the looks of your guitar :)

bgh

Reaction score
I like yours too... first lefty silverburst I have ever seen. But then again, i ain't searching for lefty's. bet I assume they are very rare...
I have heard on only 1 other lefty Silverburst.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Once the speed knobs arrive. It’ll look perfect.
I might steal the pointers off my SG:hmm:

Daniel.S

Reaction score
What do you guys use for sticky pots?
The pots aren’t scratchy, just hard to turn.

Davy D

Reaction score
Sweet! Congrats on your grail guitar. I have an 81 all original near mint. Swear to god the thing has it's own presence in a room like a living thing.

Question on your pickup change. I'm assuming there's no ground wire from the bridge or tailpiece on yours. Did you notice any extra noise swapping to the JB with no cover? I'm thinking these LPs with no ground wire are nice and quiet as long as there are covers on the pickups to shield from any interference carried in the strings that would otherwise go to ground if the strings were grounded. I was wondering if the lack of cover lets any extra noise in when the strings aren't grounded?

I dunno if I can bring myself to mod mine but I'm warming to the idea (and keeping original parts in the case). I've been wondering about the string ground / pickup cover issue. I'm not a huge fan of low output pickups but the T Tops in my 81 (pickups are 79) sound really good and much better than the other T Tops I've played. I just know an extra kick in the teeth from something high output, plus 500k pots would kick it up another notch!

81 LPC Silverburst.jpg

Zakmichael

Reaction score
Same thing with my 1980. I’d like to mod it but it’s still super clean and all original. Very tough decision. Covers on pickups actually cause more noise than open coils. The covers can create microphonics.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
I’m happy with how it sounds now!
There is some grounding noise with the JB in both my 79 and 81.

I may muck around with some extra wires to help ground it. Not sure yet. Just enjoying it!
Gave it a very thorough polish last night. It actually looks a bit more silvery now!

I’m not changing the pots!

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
you actually should change the pots.....take the entire original harness out and save it.

Put in matching 500k audio taper pots and new caps.

thank me later.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
you actually should change the pots.....take the entire original harness out and save it.

Put in matching 500k audio taper pots and new caps.

thank me later.
I’m still not sure as to why I should do that. The pots on my 81 have the perfect taper.
78/79 pots are different? These ones just feel a a bit stiff after not being turned for a few minutes.

I use the D5 because that is what I have on hand but the Deoxit Fader F5, should work just as well.

View attachment 420406
Oh that’s fair enough! Thanks!

Zakmichael

Reaction score
The 300 and 100k pots are dark sounding and sort of blanket the tone. Also good CTS or other top shelf pots have a much smoother and even taper. A pot upgrade would most definitely open up the tone and control of a Norlin Custom. I haven’t done mine because it is a pristine all original example but it’s very tempting. Usually I would even take out the electronics from a new Historic because Gibson pots are not as good.