NGD: 1979 “The SG”!

Oig

Reaction score
I really wanted an SG Standard, but my neighbor led me astray (sold me his ‘79 “The SG” for a price I couldn’t refuse).

It’s an interesting beast - walnut body and neck, ebony board, unique pickups (Velvet Brick humbucker in the bridge and The SG humbucker in the neck, both with T bobbins) and a 1-11/16th nut width, apparently the only SG to have the wider spacing at this time. It’s in great shape and plays and sounds as good as it looks.

C492F8A4-117B-414A-8315-33DE8F60659E.jpeg

Daniel.S

Reaction score
I really wanted an SG Standard, but my neighbor led me astray (sold me his ‘79 “The SG” for a price I couldn’t refuse).

It’s an interesting beast - walnut body and neck, ebony board, unique pickups (Velvet Brick humbucker in the bridge and The SG humbucker in the neck, both with T bobbins) and a 1-11/16th nut width, apparently the only SG to have the wider spacing at this time. It’s in great shape and plays and sounds as good as it looks.

View attachment 562669
That's awesome man! I've always wanted to try an SG from that era. I have three Les Paul's from 79-81 so they've always had my attention.
If only they came in Silverburst.... :laugh2:

Reactions: Oig

Oig

Reaction score

Spiteface

Reaction score
I always thought these were cool when I saw Barry Burns use one for his guitar parts in Mogwai. I always think of Mogwai as a "Fender" band but it turns out SGs are good for instrumental post-rock:

Oig

Reaction score
I always thought these were cool when I saw Barry Burns use one for his guitar parts in Mogwai. I always think of Mogwai as a "Fender" band but it turns out SGs are good for instrumental post-rock:

This is great! Love the sounds he’s getting with his. Finally sat down with mine properly today, and it smokes. Very different sound to my Les Pauls - it reminds me of my old SG Special, but more articulate and focused.

DaveSG

Reaction score
A 'The SG' was my first Gibson! I got it back around 1997 and played the heck out of it. Walnut body, ebony board, jumbo frets. Great guitar! Sold it probably about 8 years later...one of those many things you do when you are young and ignorant.

Your guitar doesn't happen to have a small gash on the top front edge of the open book part of the headstock does it? If it does, I can tell you how it got there:cheers:

Oig

Reaction score
A 'The SG' was my first Gibson! I got it back around 1997 and played the heck out of it. Walnut body, ebony board, jumbo frets. Great guitar! Sold it probably about 8 years later...one of those many things you do when you are young and ignorant.

Your guitar doesn't happen to have a small gash on the top front edge of the open book part of the headstock does it? If it does, I can tell you how it got there:cheers:
Nope, the guy I got it from bought it in ‘93 in Baltimore. Also no gash in the headstock (there is a small cigarette burn…) though I’d love to hear that story anyway!

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Beautiful SG. I have a ‘76 Standard in walnut. These are all still made of mahogany with a very light walnut stain. I bought my first one new in 1972.

Latest Threads