NGD: 1978 LP Pro ... I believe they call it "mojo"

Neffco

Reaction score
My LP pro has the same color in the binding.
Highly regarded norlin binding.

mdubya

Reaction score
Beautiful!

That thing has "Old Black" written all over it.

I am not surprised by the stress cracks in the old nitro for a guitar that has been played. Those are badges of honor.

The only reason I would refrain from a Goldtop makeover it because it is just not worth the cost. Buy a matching era Goldtop to go with this one. :jam:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Beautiful!

That thing has "Old Black" written all over it.

I am not surprised by the stress cracks in the old nitro for a guitar that has been played. Those are badges of honor.

The only reason I would refrain from a Goldtop makeover it because it is just not worth the cost. Buy a matching era Goldtop to go with this one. :jam:
Henceforth it shall be dubbed "Old Black".

ARandall

Reaction score
I like the more sophisticated look that the dark ebony boards give the Pro, even though they were the cheaper guitar back in the day.

moreles

Reaction score
That's beautiful. For a guitar that old, the wear is very modest, and unlike every wannabe-vintaged relic'd, aged bogus guitar out there, yours looks like a real, played, but well cared-for instrument with all the luster finishes gain by being touched over time, some small wear spots, a few bangs, and, mostly, really clean, beautiful surfaces. Honestly, I'd way, way rather have your guitar than something that sat under a bed for decades. It's really clean, lightly work for its age, and just gorgeous. Those black finishes, when aged this way, are just incredible -- so much better than glossy new, and way, way better than fake-checked, fake-sanded, fake-scratched relics. Congratulations. That's a standout!

Progrocker111

Reaction score
I have had nearly identical black 78 one too. Nice guitar, but very very heavy and acoustically very quiet.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had nearly identical black 78 one too. Nice guitar, but very very heavy and acoustically very quiet.
Wow. You're right on the mark. Exactly the same as this one. Through an amp it's very warm and smooth, (good for jazz) as opposed to the bite of a humbucker. Maybe this one used to belong to you?

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Wow. You're right on the mark. Exactly the same as this one. Through an amp it's very warm and smooth, (good for jazz) as opposed to the bite of a humbucker. Maybe this one used to belong to you?
No, its not mine. And the very warm tone could be caused by 300 and 100k pots used in this late 70s/early 80s era. Mine was a bit anemic and fairly bright sounding (heavy mahogany / maple / ebony combo).

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Update with pics. Had to take some pics with the guitar in the new case, purple lining and black LP, beautiful combo.

Picked up a poker chip for the switch, and thank you @'59Fatburst for the 4-latch case. Looks period correct to me but IDK enough to say with certainty. Beautiful case , great shape and a price that was more than fair. Thank you bro

Last edited:

JMP

Reaction score
What a sweet guitar! Totally love it.