Ngd 1971 les paul custom!

ekim

Reaction score
Just arrived today! I've been after one of these since I was a kid. My guitar teacher had a 78 for sale, but my parents were having none of me buy it! Fast forward 30 years and i finally have one! T tops sound incredible. Seems to be mostly original. Not sure if the cavity covers are, but I'm not too worried about that. Plays very well. Has had a re fret at some point. Anyone know if the bridge posts are 6 32? Bridge is pretty loose on the post, so I was thinking of a Faber abr1 with new posts.
Anyways here are a few pics. Sorry I'm by no means a photographer!

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Love to see some more.......pics of the electrics cavity with pot codes, plus the ser# and pickup baseplates are always good for us early 70's nuts. Its got an odd combo of the early 70's headstock shape/split diamond inlay, but the logo typical to a bit later on.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Schweet! Merry Christmas indeed.

The faber locking-abr is really nicely made.

Deftone

Reaction score
I love just about all Les Pauls, but especially Black Customs. I have an '89 and a '79 myself. Soft spot for the beastly Norlin LPC's.

Beautiful guitar. Congrats!

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
NICE! Love it! And top wrapped too!

Congratulations!

Just arrived today! I've been after one of these since I was a kid. My guitar teacher had a 78 for sale, but my parents were having none of me buy it! Fast forward 30 years and i finally have one! T tops sound incredible. Seems to be mostly original. Not sure if the cavity covers are, but I'm not too worried about that. Plays very well. Has had a re fret at some point. Anyone know if the bridge posts are 6 32? Bridge is pretty loose on the post, so I was thinking of a Faber abr1 with new posts.
Anyways here are a few pics. Sorry I'm by no means a photographer!
There is no need for new posts, but I will recommend a Faber locking bridge. I have a '73 LPC myself and added their locking bridge to keep the bridge from moving about. Once added, the locking screws made the bridge rock solid despite the somewhat wobbly studs.

Order from the German site to save some $ over the US site.

Here is the Faber bridge on my Lester - click image to zoom in:

Last edited:

jkes01

Reaction score
Very cool. I would love to have a ‘71 LPC. Congrats!

ekim

Reaction score
Very nice! I ordered mine on Tuesday. Went to a local nut and bolt supply and picked up some 2" long 6/32 stainless bolts to make new posts.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Very nice! I ordered mine on Tuesday. Went to a local nut and bolt supply and picked up some 2" long 6/32 stainless bolts to make new posts.
If your LPC is anything like mine, the problem is not the posts themselves, rather the play they have in the wood threaded so many years ago. I thought is best not to mess with the original threads and just ordered the locking bridge to tighten everything up. I am still using the original studs.

The stud holes in the original ToM bridge also have a fair amount of play.

ekim

Reaction score
On mine the studs into the wood seem solid, but the threads where the thumb wheels sit are worn out. Also theres a ton of play in the bridge holes. Cant wait for the Faber to tighten everything up! I have the same system on my 89 custom. I installed the conversion posts on that one so it's more like the abr1

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
On mine the studs into the wood seem solid, but the threads where the thumb wheels sit are worn out. Also theres a ton of play in the bridge holes. Cant wait for the Faber to tighten everything up! I have the same system on my 89 custom. I installed the conversion posts on that one so it's more like the abr1
Be sure and let us know how it all works out.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Nice one, its still early 71 Custom with many late 60s specs. Congrats

ekim

Reaction score
Thanks! Just loving it! T tops sound just Incredible! My faber hardware is on now and I just set up a stainless refret with the one and only @Freddy G ! :dude: