NGD: 1965 Stratocaster

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you all might enjoy seeing this pre-CBS (if you use L-series as a deliniation) Strat that I got right around Christmas. The guitar itself is all original, but it came in a later (maybe early '70s) case.

I mentioned elsewhere that our house is being renovated, so I had so I had to climb over things to plug it into an amp, but I did just that and it sounds really great. I'm actually liking the 3-way switch as I typically only use the neck and middle on most Strats, but I can still get the in-between settings if I want to get quacky. The biggest surprise for me tone-wise was the bridge pickup. Maybe it's just a little darker than most Strats that I've had, but I've found it to less biting in that regard. Maybe the Silvertone that I was plugging into was just a darker amp than my usual setup.

The pickups are gray backed with June 1965 handwritten dates on them. The neck stamp is April 1965 and the pots date to right around that same time (14th week) as well.

In terms of playability, it actually took me a few days (and a fresh set of strings) to settle into it. The frets are original and definitely in their twilight years. I'll likely be getting it refretted sooner rather than later. That said, after initially being not so sure about how it plays, I have been enjoying it more and more each day and now really love it.

It was clearly played quite a bit as evidenced not only by the fretwear, but the overall wear as well, but nothing over the top, IMO. Not sure what the story is on the tape. I was tempted to pull it off, but decided not to. It might be holding it together. ;)

Here are some shots I took on Saturday...

oqMjheL.jpg

YGKJay9.jpg

jqdQ5Pn.jpg

wTFMP9g.jpg

ZfVjMeu.jpg

CM6KAM2.jpg

jcpLYXf.jpg

pryilli.jpg

XgDHAMu.jpg

blCNS9r.jpg

PN82L9u.jpg

SNTagbS.jpg

URh729M.jpg

6Y89LSW.jpg

AHRnkQV.jpg

Qb7zPrM.jpg

alhMCWs.jpg

SRi7xoc.jpg

60JJT2F.jpg

5Gr5GAB.jpg

B3LPvjB.jpg

q2DnwTZ.jpg

iYGLCK1.jpg

KECUg0q.jpg

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really cool. It's got that super dark black rim with the bourbon-y fade to sunburst. Neat stuff.

Looks like a late 60's early 70's case. If you take a picture of the Fender logo on it I can probably tell you what year it is if you haven't figured it out or care even.

Congrats!

judson

Reaction score
wow very very nice..... :wow:

your killing me with those pics...been GASing for a 64 fiesta red ....

back in the day had a 74 sunburst, traded only for a week for a 64 stripped natural that i will always remember playing that...it was great until my buddy took it back from me.

enjoy it

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really cool. It's got that super dark black rim with the bourbon-y fade to sunburst. Neat stuff.

Looks like a late 60's early 70's case. If you take a picture of the Fender logo on it I can probably tell you what year it is if you haven't figured it out or care even.

Congrats!

Thanks, Andy. I'll take a pic of the logo and send it to you as I'm not much of an expert on that stuff. I think I can see the imprint of four knobs and maybe a Tele Deluxe/Custom imprint for the body.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Holy smokes, that finish hasn't faded one bit! It's beautiful.

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Fabulous! :dude:

I’m unlikely ever to have the ready cash for such a thing but a pre-CBS Stratocaster is probably still my holy grail / bucket list guitar.

Not at all envious...
:rofl:

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
That is just wow, great photography too. I bet it could tell a few stories!

I doubt I'll ever get to play a pre-CBS Strat let alone own one, huge congrats. Hope it's everything you wanted in a Strat - am sure it is

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I thought you all might enjoy seeing this pre-CBS (if you use L-series as a deliniation) Strat that I got right around Christmas. The guitar itself is all original, but it came in a later (maybe early '70s) case.

I mentioned elsewhere that our house is being renovated, so I had so I had to climb over things to plug it into an amp, but I did just that and it sounds really great. I'm actually liking the 3-way switch as I typically only use the neck and middle on most Strats, but I can still get the in-between settings if I want to get quacky. The biggest surprise for me tone-wise was the bridge pickup. Maybe it's just a little darker than most Strats that I've had, but I've found it to less biting in that regard. Maybe the Silvertone that I was plugging into was just a darker amp than my usual setup.

The pickups are gray backed with June 1965 handwritten dates on them. The neck stamp is April 1965 and the pots date to right around that same time (14th week) as well.

In terms of playability, it actually took me a few days (and a fresh set of strings) to settle into it. The frets are original and definitely in their twilight years. I'll likely be getting it refretted sooner rather than later. That said, after initially being not so sure about how it plays, I have been enjoying it more and more each day and now really love it.

It was clearly played quite a bit as evidenced not only by the fretwear, but the overall wear as well, but nothing over the top, IMO. Not sure what the story is on the tape. I was tempted to pull it off, but decided not to. It might be holding it together. ;)

Here are some shots I took on Saturday...

oqMjheL.jpg

YGKJay9.jpg

jqdQ5Pn.jpg

wTFMP9g.jpg

ZfVjMeu.jpg

CM6KAM2.jpg

jcpLYXf.jpg

pryilli.jpg

XgDHAMu.jpg

blCNS9r.jpg

PN82L9u.jpg

SNTagbS.jpg

URh729M.jpg

6Y89LSW.jpg

AHRnkQV.jpg

Qb7zPrM.jpg

alhMCWs.jpg

SRi7xoc.jpg

60JJT2F.jpg

5Gr5GAB.jpg

B3LPvjB.jpg

q2DnwTZ.jpg

iYGLCK1.jpg

KECUg0q.jpg
Hey Santa gave my Guitar to the wrong guy!-congrats thats a piece of history from the transition period.

Latest Threads