NGD - 1962 Silvertone Jupiter

pshupe

Reaction score
This is officially a NGD but unofficially a guitar I have known all my life. My father ordered this from the Simpson Sears catalogue in 1962. I do not ever remember him playing it but saw pictures of it with my sister and I when we were very young. They are moving and he wanted me to sell it for him. I told him it sold quickly and I gave him the $$$$. Otherwise he would not have taken it. It will be interesting to see how long this will be a secret. Here are some shots of this guitar. I played it a bit when I was a teenager and then again a number of years ago. Nothing has been done to it in at least 40 yrs. I might have put new strings on. I seemed to remember it had flat wound strings back in the day.
IMG_1733.jpg
IMG_1734.jpg
IMG_1750.jpg
IMG_1751.jpg
IMG_1757.jpg

I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and tuning it up where it needs.

Cheers Peter.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's friggin' awesome, Pete. I love it!

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Very cool, Peter. That has to be one of the cooler Silvertones that I've seen! I also have my dad's electric guitar under very similar circumstances. I've been holding on to it since they downsized houses and moved. I'm going to give it a tune up and get it back to him when I deliver the Tele that I'm also making for him. His old guitar is a Harmony Rocket from sometime around 1959 or 1960.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is as cool as they get. Moon dust on the headstock. A zillion knobs with labels to explain what they do. It's George Jetson's guitar.

Cool. And with the back story - priceless. HNGD and good on you.

redking

Reaction score
Great history on the guitar! Am I crazy, or did you build a replica of this guitar once upon a time?

valvetoneman

Reaction score
Really like these old Silvertones, lovely guitar Peter

I'm going to modify a 1449 shape for something I fancy making

pshupe

Reaction score
Great history on the guitar! Am I crazy, or did you build a replica of this guitar once upon a time?
It is the guitar I have used in my avatar for almost 10 yrs now. I think I once had a discussion about doing a replica of it. I guess I figured my dad would keep in for a lot longer.

Funny thing is that they did make re-issues of this guitar in a couple different colours.

1633362414329.png

Cheers Peter.

Last edited:

redking

Reaction score
It is the guitar I have used in my avatar for almost 10 yrs now. I think I once had a discussion about doing a replica of it. I guess I figured my dad would keep in for a lot longer.

Funny thing is that they did make re-issues of this guitar in a couple different colours.

View attachment 563949

Cheers Peter.
I've always loved the black finish on these, kinda looks like a "starry night" to go along with the 50's space age design.

pshupe

Reaction score
Up at my parents place cleaning up and getting ready for the move. Look what I found.
2ACC9BE8-346B-47B5-A8CF-31D902435DED.jpeg

My sister in the left and me on the right. I was wondering if I would find that picture. That might have been the last time my dad played that guitar. You can see the case under the couch. Nice to find this.
Cheers Peter.

redking

Reaction score
Your Dad looks like a young Harrison Ford! (I think I used to have that exact green lumberjack shirt and one in red - Canadian department store special!)

pshupe

Reaction score
Your Dad looks like a young Harrison Ford! (I think I used to have that exact green lumberjack shirt and one in red - Canadian department store special!)
He was 28yrs old in that picture and I was almost 3 yrs old. Only about 5 months over 50 yrs ago.

Cheers Peter.

Last edited:

Latest Threads