Reaction score
New Pickguard Day!
Made it from a Celluloid Tortoiseshell.
nVb0xz7.jpg

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have found the amp, or modded a different guitar. *shrugs* Not my business, just an opinion.

jbrew1977

Reaction score
Killer man! As you've said it's all reversible and besides if not who the hell cares. Just an observation, not an opinion. You ARE that guitar's owner! It's not exactly overly rare or expensive and even if it was who cares! You bought it to play not hang on a wall! The new guard looks great BTW!

Jura

Reaction score
TheX: *shrugs*

Aye. It's completely reversible. It actually is kinda rare, as they only made 67 of them that year. They are a steal as they are basically the same guitar as an ES345 (and we all know how much they go for), if you can, do yourself a favour and check one out.
I indeed bought it to play.
Cheers!

jbrew1977

Reaction score
67... I stand corrected! Still wouldn't have stopped me from doing the exact same thing!

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
In 50 years, when someone's pulling GForce off an old Gibson...

"I'd have hunted down an old battery for that and left it stock" :rofl:

Srsly you did exactly what I'd have done.

Cyclave

Reaction score
Cool guitar, Jura. Don't mind the people harassing you about modding it. You were focusing on what makes it a better player for YOURSELF, the owner and the one who spent money. If they think it's such a historic guitar, they should have one by now.

Anyway, you're going to play it and ruin the frets eventually. :dude:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Seriously, ten times worse has been done to vintage Gibsons people. Swapping a pickguard is hardly sacrilege.

Alty

Reaction score
Cool guitar, Jura. Don't mind the people harassing you about modding it. You were focusing on what makes it a better player for YOURSELF, the owner and the one who spent money. If they think it's such a historic guitar, they should have one by now.

Anyway, you're going to play it and ruin the frets eventually. :dude:

I don't see anyone harassing anyone, just people with a different view on 'historic' guitars than the OP, after all, just by posting on a forum is going to attract different views but the OP knew that....and the whole point of buying an 'historic' guitar for some is the fact it's historic and meant to be kept original....

"famous or important in history, or potentially so"

and just because someone thinks it's 'historic' doesn't mean they need to own one....opinions are like ar**holes, everyone's got one and rightly entitled to one whether or not you agree....or is this thread just a pat on the back exercise to make you feel all warm and cosy....yes it is up to the owner to do what ever they want to it but to come here and think no one is going to say anything is just delusional.

Cyclave

Reaction score
I don't see anyone harassing anyone, just people with a different view on 'historic' guitars than the OP, after all, just by posting on a forum is going to attract different views but the OP knew that....and the whole point of buying an 'historic' guitar for some is the fact it's historic and meant to be kept original....

"famous or important in history, or potentially so"

and just because someone thinks it's 'historic' doesn't mean they need to own one....opinions are like ar**holes, everyone's got one and rightly entitled to one whether or not you agree....or is this thread just a pat on the back exercise to make you feel all warm and cosy....yes it is up to the owner to do what ever they want to it but to come here and think no one is going to say anything is just delusional.

I didn't interpret the tone as only expressing an opinion as some seemed like they were saying he did something wrong, but that could just be on me. I welcome opinions, but some people didn't even congratulate him on his NGD and great find.

Also, he even stated he wanted this guitar because it's "Technically a '62 ES-335 for less than 1/10 of the price." So that's why you'd buy a historic instrument and not keep it stock. I'm pretty sure ES-335's don't have knobs that look like they get in the way.

And, yep, totally, I love patting myself on the back for comments I make on the internet. It's cheaper than having friends. :(

Jura

Reaction score
Opinions are welcome, but telling me I did something wrong when I made a barely playable guitar into a stunning instrument is not OK.
Historic or not.
I don't see people having "opinions" about Claptons/Pages tuners on his 335/Burst, Neil Youngs Les Paul, Les Pauls Les Pauls, etc.

Wait until I say I moved the bridge as well, because it was impossible to get it even roughly intonated, ups, I just said that!

I saw around a dozen of these guitars with saddles moved all the way to the back, I guess that people at Gibson just drilled the holes for the bridge guided by the pickguard cutouts, not by measuring the proper location.
I bet they had the cutout for the bridge made in the pickguard long before they were put onto the guitar.
"It would look silly to have an offset cutout for the bridge, would it not - lets just locate the bridge so it looks right (and is out of tune)."

hogluvr

Reaction score
Jura,

Take a look at this, I just posted it this morning and someone linked this thread, that's how I found it. I'm a newbie but have already felt a little "bullied" around here myself concerning old guitars, there are some here who get very testy when it comes to vintage instruments. It is YOUR guitar and you can do what you please with it. I think it is admirable that you are not going to let it be a closet queen and actually PLAY it. If it were mine and I got it cheap I would be very tempted to pull a Hendrix on it and embed the video here. I hope all the "bullies" are cringing at the thought!! :dude:

Oh, and congrats! :thumb:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-epiphones/361462-check-out.html

g8tr

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Beautiful picture. Everybody asks, you delivered. :wow:

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Cheers!
I actually pulled most of the electronics out (saved one pound in the process).

Murderer.

If you didn't like it, you should have sold it to someone who wouldn't destroy an irreplacable classic & bought something else.

Complete lack of cool. :facepalm::slap:

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Jura,

Take a look at this, I just posted it this morning and someone linked this thread, that's how I found it. I'm a newbie but have already felt a little "bullied" around here myself concerning old guitars, there are some here who get very testy when it comes to vintage instruments. It is YOUR guitar and you can do what you please with it. I think it is admirable that you are not going to let it be a closet queen and actually PLAY it. If it were mine and I got it cheap I would be very tempted to pull a Hendrix on it and embed the video here. I hope all the "bullies" are cringing at the thought!! :dude:

Oh, and congrats! :thumb:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-epiphones/361462-check-out.html

That wasn't a vintage guitar; it was a new guitar that could be replaced off the shelf the next day. And it was a CBS Fender, so it would never have been a vintage guitar; just an old one.

Jura

Reaction score
Murderer.

If you didn't like it, you should have sold it to someone who wouldn't destroy an irreplacable classic & bought something else.

Complete lack of cool. :facepalm::slap:
Someone who would put it on display? Cuz it wasn't very playable..
And by the way, since when do you destroy a guitar by replacing it's pickguard?
:confused:

Jura

Reaction score
That wasn't a vintage guitar; it was a new guitar that could be replaced off the shelf the next day. And it was a CBS Fender, so it would never have been a vintage guitar; just an old one.
Than by the same logic, if I replaced the pickguard in the 1960's, it would be OK, but if I do it in the 2010's, it's not OK?

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Than by the same logic, if I replaced the pickguard in the 1960's, it would be OK, but if I do it in the 2010's, it's not OK?

Now you're staring to catch on; in the 60s you could have popped down to your Epi dealer & gotten a new one. And changing a pickguard becomes a different matter when said 'guard holds what makes the model.

Latest Threads