NGD - 1959 Les Paul Reissue

MeddlingKid

Reaction score
Welcomed a new guitar this week - A 59 LP Reissue in lemonburst. This thing fits like a glove and sounds so fantastic.

Quick question - Do these reissues typically have 1-2 minor QC issues from the Gibson factory these days? Very small issue on the headstock where the transition from the top to the sides isn’t as consistently defined as elsewhere on the headstock. I assume no guitar will be perfect but wanted to check whether there’s always ‘something’.

View attachment 611281
78D2AA2A-73AE-417A-B43B-5FD2DEAC2B75.jpeg

Attachments

• 27D3F060-826B-4670-8FFE-2678A95C1926.jpeg
    27D3F060-826B-4670-8FFE-2678A95C1926.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 69

MeddlingKid

Reaction score
I don’t think this guitar has ever been on a hanger. Wouldn’t that also impact the other side?

I can’t decide whether to add the pickguard. I like the look without and feel guilty drilling holes.

Nick-O

Reaction score
I like just like that...she's a beauty!

monty john

Reaction score
guitar hanger rash or could be rash from a headstock clip on tuner...who cares??? does it sound good???? I always have a rule, no pickguard no pu covers....congrats play the hell out of it =stop worrying about the tick tack stuff..

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think this guitar has ever been on a hanger. Wouldn’t that also impact the other side?

I can’t decide whether to add the pickguard. I like the look without and feel guilty drilling holes.
They use hangers throughout the Gibson Custom Shop.... doesn’t matter though..... the finish is thin on the edges anyways. It’s very common.

Not worth worrying about..... it’s all about the tone and playability.... that’s really where the money is.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's ways to put the pic guard on without drilling holes.

Isn't there fellas?

kelsodeez

Reaction score
There's ways to put the pic guard on without drilling holes.

Isn't there fellas?
Those weird ones that clip into the pickup rings, but that's sacrilege to put those on a reissue.

My rule is to play it how it left the factory. If it came with a pickguard, leave it on. If it came without two extra holes (that's what she said), leave it

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
My 2004 LP has a gorgeous top and never had any holes drilled for the pickguard, it's still sealed in a bag in the case. Won't ever be going on as long as I own it but each to their own

As a sidenote I realised a few days ago that out of all of the 1968-1960 bursts in 'The Beauty of the Burst' book they all have the pickguards on bar only one or two. Found that interesting and a little intriguing; I guess they were aiming for a feeling of consistency for the reader but personally I'd have preferred to see them with less clothes on

AJK1

Reaction score
My 2004 LP has a gorgeous top and never had any holes drilled for the pickguard, it's still sealed in a bag in the case. Won't ever be going on as long as I own it but each to their own

As a sidenote I realised a few days ago that out of all of the 1968-1960 bursts in 'The Beauty of the Burst' book they all have the pickguards on bar only one or two. Found that interesting and a little intriguing; I guess they were aiming for a feeling of consistency for the reader but personally I'd have preferred to see them with less clothes on
While hurriedly typing your vested opinion on pickguards or lack thereof you miss typed the years of the Sunbursts….

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
While hurriedly typing your vested opinion on pickguards or lack thereof you miss typed the years of the Sunbursts….
My reply wasn't hurried at all and yep, a simple typo as you pointed out. Very obviously 1958-1960's but thanks for pointing that out

integra evan

Reaction score
Very nice! Enjoy!
Also, there is another issue - it's not in my hands!

mjross

Reaction score
Welcomed a new guitar this week - A 59 LP Reissue in lemonburst. This thing fits like a glove and sounds so fantastic.

Quick question - Do these reissues typically have 1-2 minor QC issues from the Gibson factory these days? Very small issue on the headstock where the transition from the top to the sides isn’t as consistently defined as elsewhere on the headstock. I assume no guitar will be perfect but wanted to check whether there’s always ‘something’.

View attachment 611281 View attachment 611286
Damn nice, cosmetic issues or not! A little touch up by a competent tech and you will never know what happened unless you pull out your microscope!

NightShift88

Reaction score

Same with my 2002, no pickguard from the factory and no holes. What kind of demon would want to put a pickguard on this thing?

9142D98D-0D89-421E-B4D3-08B82D7B4CB0.jpeg

Latest Threads