NGD: 1959 Les Paul Junior Doublecut

( . )( . )

Reaction score
Sweet! How do you like it?
It’s kind of a grail guitar for me...been wanting a 59 DC for years. So I’m pretty in love right now. The neck is exactly what you’d expect from a 59, and the P-90 is the same. I have a 65 SG Junior as well. They’re more similar than different, but this one has more mass, which seems to make it slightly more resonant. I have yet to really put it through its paces though.

( . )( . )

Reaction score
That color is so strong! Congrats that’s killer.
Thank you...yes - it really pops out.
Apparently, it belonged to the left-handed father of the seller (who is also a younger player) for a long time, so it’s spent much of its life in a case. There is no checking that I can detect, but the finish is original. The seller is using the funds to help with a downpayment on his first home, so that’s pretty cool as well.

yamariv

Reaction score
Congrats OP, she's gorgeous!! I was just rippin my 60 Junior this aft and these things are just amazing beasts. I'm super lucky to have one! Enjoy

mcphaul

Reaction score
It’s kind of a grail guitar for me...been wanting a 59 DC for years. So I’m pretty in love right now. The neck is exactly what you’d expect from a 59, and the P-90 is the same. I have a 65 SG Junior as well. They’re more similar than different, but this one has more mass, which seems to make it slightly more resonant. I have yet to really put it through its paces though.
i have a '65 SG Jr as well. Once you've spent some time with the '59 please post your feeling on the differences. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's a stunner! I have an incredibly similar one, (must check how far away in serial, I think not far) and it's a remarkable guitar. Don't think my one has checked so much yet either.

How big is the neck on your one? I have a few '50s Gibsons, and the '59 DC Junior has the chunkiest neck of all. Somehow that combines with its feather weight, playable frets, and ludicrous output to make an absolute hooligan of a guitar. It can do "subtle" really well, but I always feel like there's a little monster trying to leap out and take over.

Brilliant looking thing. If you love it even half as much as I have mine, you will be very happy with that one. Enjoy!

Liam

( . )( . )

Reaction score
i have a '65 SG Jr as well. Once you've spent some time with the '59 please post your feeling on the differences. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
While I’ve not yet had a chance to really get to know the guitar yet, I can say that it’s heavier than the 65, but my 65 weighs 5.75 lbs, so that’s to be expected. The P-90 in the 59 seems to have a more vocal smoothness quality to it with gain as compared to the 65, which seems to be slightly higher output. Overall, they’re more similar than different. The largest difference are the necks, the 65 being a translational 1 21/32” nut width, while the 59 is a 1 11/16”. The 65 is much slimmer and flatter as well.

That's a stunner! I have an incredibly similar one, (must check how far away in serial, I think not far) and it's a remarkable guitar. Don't think my one has checked so much yet either.

How big is the neck on your one? I have a few '50s Gibsons, and the '59 DC Junior has the chunkiest neck of all. Somehow that combines with its feather weight, playable frets, and ludicrous output to make an absolute hooligan of a guitar. It can do "subtle" really well, but I always feel like there's a little monster trying to leap out and take over.

Brilliant looking thing. If you love it even half as much as I have mine, you will be very happy with that one. Enjoy!

Liam
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I think I’m going to fall in love with this guitar, given more time. The neck is indeed very chunky and rounded, but very playable. I need to get ahold of some calipers so I can see exactly what I’m dealing with. The pickup is extremely dynamic, and subject to a wide tonal range from picking technique or slight volume and tone knob adjustments. So far, I’ve used it with my vintage 61 Bassman piggyback and vintage 65 Princeton non reverb, DRRI, Marshall silver Jubilee, and Mesa Rectoverb for brief tests. Honestly I like what I’m hearing from all of them, and they’re all quite different.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on a very sweet and clean 59! You're gonna love it more and more!

I've got a 58 single cut which was made just before the DC cut in, and I play it every day. A lot.

Playing it now plugged into a tweed Champ that I just found an old black plate RCA 6V6 for and she's singing!

Congrats again on a seriously cool Jr. ! :applause:

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
( . )( . ), your post inspired me to drag this lazy hooligan back out of his bed today:

DSCF0154.JPG

DSCF0153.JPG

A little bit later serial than yours, 925145, but similarly has not checked at all. It was really cold in the music room cupboard today, so I got the heating on and let the cupboard warm up really slowly, as I would hate for the finish to check unnecessarily so close to his 62nd birthday. Quite old photos, I have since put the original tuners away somewhere safe and fitted repros. I had intended to fit a Mojoaxe bridge (which I have already bought), but have just been playing this guitar, and the intonation is just about perfect everywhere, and not a hint of "chinese overtone" on any of the strings. Unfortunately the knob pointers were taken off before I got the guitar - so not quite as original looking as your beautiful DC Junior.

Liam

( . )( . )

Reaction score
( . )( . ), your post inspired me to drag this lazy hooligan back out of his bed today:

View attachment 515675
View attachment 515676

A little bit later serial than yours, 925145, but similarly has not checked at all. It was really cold in the music room cupboard today, so I got the heating on and let the cupboard warm up really slowly, as I would hate for the finish to check unnecessarily so close to his 62nd birthday. Quite old photos, I have since put the original tuners away somewhere safe and fitted repros. I had intended to fit a Mojoaxe bridge (which I have already bought), but have just been playing this guitar, and the intonation is just about perfect everywhere, and not a hint of "chinese overtone" on any of the strings. Unfortunately the knob pointers were taken off before I got the guitar - so not quite as original looking as your beautiful DC Junior.

Liam
I love it man. I actually have a Mojoaxe bridge on my 65 SG Junior. They’re great, but my 59 seems to intonate well enough for me (with an unowound G) so I think I’ll leave it alone. Here’s the 65, and the amp I’m using for both of these guitars most often:

B7F66E78-7CA1-4100-AE13-86C7E6323151.jpeg

07D4701E-A41B-4930-8C77-BC4B6370B3B5.jpeg

5F81CF59-E7EA-487E-8027-123972D95E38.jpeg
D7156FF9-7927-46BE-A71E-D0844D776C6A.jpeg

1961 with the first Gen 6G6 tube rectified circuit, and 1x12 Tone Ring cab with original speaker​

Latest Threads