NGD! 1959 ES 335 RI - CME etc

mdubya

Reaction score
All of the fluctuating temps lately have been causing the ES to have good days and not so good days. There hasn't been anything terribly noticeable, just some days it seems to play great and others, it is a struggle. I worried that maybe it was me, but I'd pickup other guitars and they almost play themselves.

So, yesterday I decided to give the RI some attention. The relief did not look miles off, but looked like it could use a tweak. I gave the truss rod a crank [ it turned nice and easy and the relief responded accordingly - which was a "relief" (sic) to me o_O ].

Lo and behold, with some careful dialing in to get the relief just right, the guitar has come alive and is playing better than ever. The little things really add up and really make a difference.

Gratuitous beauty shot. What a beast of a guitar.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks!! Just what I need is to have my GAS stoked for a 335 now! :rofl:

Heck I've only had my '66 330 for a couple of months, and a 58 RI 335 would be fun!

But I have my sights set on a 59 ES 125 right now...

Must maintain focus Mike...Don't be swayed....Fingers in ears...na na na na na na

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
BTW Bro, Congrats on the floor sale!

That's a kick ass looking 335!

:dude:

mdubya

Reaction score
Thanks!! Just what I need is to have my GAS stoked for a 335 now! :rofl:

Heck I've only had my '66 330 for a couple of months, and a 58 RI 335 would be fun!

But I have my sights set on a 59 ES 125 right now...

Must maintain focus Mike...Don't be swayed....Fingers in ears...na na na na na na
Yep. There is enough time to own them all (just about) eventually. My current line up was a long time coming. :yesway:

BTW Bro, Congrats on the floor sale!

That's a kick ass looking 335!

:dude:
My only regret is that I did not buy more at the time of the sale.

Very nice guitar !
Thank you!

wmachine

Reaction score
Yep. There is enough time to own them all (just about) eventually. My current line up was a long time coming. :yesway:

My only regret is that I did not buy more at the time of the sale.

Thank you!
I hear ya... :(
I 'm one who did "buy more". I was very fortunate to be able to, and I'm still glad I did. I looked long and hard at it and hoped I was not making a mistake. But it was only because the sale took place over many lots and a long period of time that I did get more. It gave me plenty of time to be sure that was what I wanted to do. At first, I was only going to get one. I remember feeling like a kid in a candy store trying to pick out one.

mdubya

Reaction score
I 'm one who did "buy more". I was very fortunate to be able to, and I'm still glad I did. I looked long and hard at it and hoped I was not making a mistake. But it was only because the sale took place over many lots and a long period of time that I did get more. It gave me plenty of time to be sure that was what I wanted to do. At first, I was only going to get one. I remember feeling like a kid in a candy store trying to pick out one.
I hear ya!

I followed for months and months, checking CME and searching "floor model" day after day.

I bought the ES Les Paul in September and got this '59 335 RI late/Feb/early March.

An ES LP with P-90's and a '63 335 RI would have been a pretty good set. :thumb:

mdubya

Reaction score
I pulled the bridge pickup out of my guitar to do some investigating for @goldtop0.

I changed strings while I was at it and played it, too. Man, what a great guitar. I like it more all the time, if that is even possible.

This thing will go from subtle, almost acoustic-like jazz tones to jangly 60's pop rock to full throttle distorted blues rock and hard rock and even nwobhm and back without even batting an eye. What a monster of a guitar.

integra evan

Reaction score
Nice! I had a CS 59 Reissue for a day, literally lol. Traded for it - awesome guitar but I've been preferring skinnier necks, so I moved it right along to its new happy owner.

mdubya

Reaction score
Nice! I had a CS 59 Reissue for a day, literally lol. Traded for it - awesome guitar but I've been preferring skinnier necks, so I moved it right along to its new happy owner.
My Dot Reissue has a thin early 60's neck. It is plenty wide and has its own feel. I really enjoy plying it too. Lately, the '59 RI has just been killing it, though.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Dayum Dude!

Because of this thread I've been pouring over 335's on Reverb for 2 days now!

Then you post that 58 and 59! :shock:

So now I'm kinda looking at the '80-'85 335's, so I can snag the Tim Shaws.

Such a wicked enabler you are! Just Wicked!! :rofl:

mdubya

Reaction score
Dayum Dude!

Because of this thread I've been pouring over 335's on Reverb for 2 days now!

Then you post that 58 and 59! :shock:

So now I'm kinda looking at the '80-'85 335's, so I can snag the Tim Shaws.

Such a wicked enabler you are! Just Wicked!! :rofl:

:thumb:

At your service!

The new '64 reissues look killer! I like the 2000-2009 Dot Reissues. The 57 Classics and whatever wiring harness they were using is a great combination, imho.

There's plenty of reasonable deals on these late model Memphis reissues, too.

I sometimes have to do a double take on my own photos. My guitar looks new, but it really captures the aesthetics of the real deal 50's models.

I got today's photos from Charlie Gelber's ES 335 site. So, I, too, cannot stop looking!

Latest Threads