NGD 1958 LP Jr double cut

mainiacs

Reaction score
Beautiful example of a "sharp body edge" '58, thanks for sharing. Great colour, grain and checking in the lacquer. Have you had a look under the pickup cover? Guessing it's the traditional setup with the dog-ear cover mounting screws also retaining the pickup itself, but an era in which most alternatives seem to have happened.

Looks like original frets, so you're going to need to consider deeply on partial or complete refret if some are worn. I am unusual in preferring the original pre-59 fret wire, and last time I did this there was nothing available in the same width. Luckily I found someone that thinned some available fret wire to the original size and profile for a couple of my mid-50's Gibsons, but unluckily lost him to illness last year. Wouldn't be the end of the world to refret in '59 size fret wire, which is widely available, but for me it changes the guitars' original vibe too much.

Cool guitar! Original bridges are overrated unless you need to feel a South East Asian violinist tuning up behind your left ear kind of vibe. Kidding, they don't all do it, but it's kind of annoying when it happens. I tend to replace with MojoAxe because they work every time, and I am sure those that others that have suggested might offer more than anything "period correct". I have a '56 LP SC replica that I think got a Gotoh wraparound bridge (it was while back...), and it works better than any of the original '50s bridges I have.

You got one of the greatest and most underrated electric guitars ever made. They can do anything, in any style or genre, but mostly just put a grin on your face when you need it. Enjoy!

Liam
Thank you, I’ve really fallen in love with this guitar! The feel of the neck, the sounds it’s capable of making, and even the smell haha!

Yes, I have looked at the pickup and it is the soap bar pickup without the dog ears, typical for these 4 digit 58s. Pretty cool how they sanded down the dog ear pickup cover too.

Thanks for your perspective on the frets. They are original and there are a few that show some wear. It’s not affecting play as of right now. When I first got it, I figured it would need a refret, but I’m going to just let it go and play it. I’m liking these original frets as well. They have a character to them. I like the vintage feel of the guitar and will keep it that way as long as I can.
I’ve heard that the original tailpieces aren’t the best. But since everything else is original, I’d like to at least have an original tailpiece in the case . The MojoAxe pieces seem to get a lot of positive reviews. I may go that route. How about Pigtail? Are those any good?

Thanks for the great feedback. Time to get back to my Jr.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Man, that thing is sweet.

And the headstock is in fantastic shape.

Congrats on a great instrument!

yamariv

Reaction score
Thank you, I’ve really fallen in love with this guitar! The feel of the neck, the sounds it’s capable of making, and even the smell haha!

Yes, I have looked at the pickup and it is the soap bar pickup without the dog ears, typical for these 4 digit 58s. Pretty cool how they sanded down the dog ear pickup cover too.

Thanks for your perspective on the frets. They are original and there are a few that show some wear. It’s not affecting play as of right now. When I first got it, I figured it would need a refret, but I’m going to just let it go and play it. I’m liking these original frets as well. They have a character to them. I like the vintage feel of the guitar and will keep it that way as long as I can.
I’ve heard that the original tailpieces aren’t the best. But since everything else is original, I’d like to at least have an original tailpiece in the case . The MojoAxe pieces seem to get a lot of positive reviews. I may go that route. How about Pigtail? Are those any good?

Coming in late to this thread..OP, look for an original tailpiece if you want to have one in the case but for playability I HIGHLY recommend the MojoAxe compensated version and splurge a bit for the aged. I took my original one off right away and bought the Mojoaxe and the intonation is seriously bang on and the aging makes it fit right into the feel of my Junior.

( . )( . )

Reaction score

Congratulations on a great instrument and a nice piece of history.

If you can find an original tailpiece with little to no wear, it is much less likely to have intonation problems or the sitar like sounds that people don’t like. That said, it will be really hard to find one in that condition, and a Mojoaxe is still going to be better from a playability standpoint.

My advice is to get the Mojoaxe, and just keep an eye out for an original for a good deal to keep in the case. You will likely never remove the Mojoaxe once you’ve installed it. I am unfamiliar with the Pigtail bridges, but I can almost guarantee that you’ll love the Mojoaxe.

mainiacs

Reaction score
Congratulations on a great instrument and a nice piece of history.

If you can find an original tailpiece with little to no wear, it is much less likely to have intonation problems or the sitar like sounds that people don’t like. That said, it will be really hard to find one in that condition, and a Mojoaxe is still going to be better from a playability standpoint.

My advice is to get the Mojoaxe, and just keep an eye out for an original for a good deal to keep in the case. You will likely never remove the Mojoaxe once you’ve installed it. I am unfamiliar with the Pigtail bridges, but I can almost guarantee that you’ll love the Mojoaxe.
it really is a piece of history and I can feel it every time I pick it up!

Thank you, good advice. I will get the MojoAxe and be patient in looking for a good original one.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Mojoaxe repros go on all my vintage wraptails. It’s a no brained in terms of function, relatively accurate in terms of materials and cosmetics, and Dan is a great dude/forum member.

mainiacs

Reaction score
The frets are in decent shape but a few show signs of wear. What do you think? How much life is left in these?

218E725E-3A70-48E9-9BCD-D1A12E536704.jpeg
A5519C40-8ABE-40F6-A974-394027AD0DD3.jpeg
3A251CDF-9528-4B00-8F40-33D62379D0CA.jpeg
1EA27E56-8A77-4692-A61F-BC036F7E4FBA.jpeg
13CB0240-78D2-4D32-A9A3-91EC96AF46E1.jpeg

Droog

Reaction score
Looks like plenty of life left. Just get them dressed, good to go. My old Junior looks like the twin of yours, these things play and sound awesome.

mainiacs

Reaction score
Looks like plenty of life left. Just get them dressed, good to go. My old Junior looks like the twin of yours, these things play and sound awesome.
Ok, great. Thanks for the feedback.

Is yours a 58? I wonder if they are close in production.

Droog

Reaction score
Another of the 4 digit serial Juniors. I got mine from Grinning Elk

Latest Threads