NGD: 1957 Historic RI LP Custom BB

eddyrox

Reaction score
Congrats on your NGD . That's great with that neck. Next, tone report please. The 57's with the Mahogany tops are a little darker sounding, and I for 1 would like to know how the Slim neck effects the tone on it . Great guitar man.

The orginals had a 1 piece body 1 piece top = 2 pieces your both right .

thanks jamman. I just returned from rehearsal and the band was pretty non-chalant about her...:rolleyes: most likely due to their collective gear snobbery...:slap:

Anyway, jamman you are correct in that the tone is definitely darker/fuller on the low-mids. The lower timbre sounds fuller than the maple/mahogany HRI's I've got (EC signature). I used to own a '68 HRI LPC, but that one was so much brighter that the comparison isn't fair.

Regarding the neck ('58/'68 vs this 1960 Beano)...well, suffice to say that my EC signature sounds every bit as good as some of the best '58 and '59 HRI's I've played. I've even compared my bud's JP1 and JP2 against the same "58's and '59's. I'd say that whatever sonic and tonal impacts the slimmer neck has is very difficult to hear. The sustain of all of these, including this '57 LPC BB, are devastatingly awesome - so no impact to there.

I'm sure that Eric Johnson could "hear" the difference. And truthfully, less wood on the neck has got to impact the sound or the sustain or the attack.

Unfortunately, I've played 'em acoustically and through my Soldano SLO and '69 1959 SL. I can't really hear anything.

Perhaps others can help us?:hmm::cool:

TM1

Reaction score
Nice guitar, but where's the middle pickup? The only original Customs I've seen and played with 2-pickups were from 1960 & 1961 (yes, they made a scant few in `61! I've played a couple)

eddyrox

Reaction score
Nice guitar, but where's the middle pickup? The only original Customs I've seen and played with 2-pickups were from 1960 & 1961 (yes, they made a scant few in `61! I've played a couple)

Hi TM1! I know what you mean- Frampton's had 3, Mick Jones' had 3 (til he pulled one out and filled it in) and of course Page's had 3. Gibson.com: Gibson 1957 Les Paul Custom 3 PU VOS

But for some reason, she's available also in this config Gibson.com: Gibson 1957 Les Paul Custom 2 PU VOS

No real explanation given, other than she comes with 2 or 3 p/ups:hmm::naughty:

Latest Threads