NGD: 1957 Historic RI LP Custom BB

eddyrox

Reaction score
57Custom2.jpg

57Custom.jpg

57Custom3.jpg

So much for the GIBSON RAID....whatever "that" waste of DoJ time was last month, and their mindless witchhunt for Indian rosewood and ebony....this badboy made it through.

Mahogany top and back, Eric Clapton 1960 "beano" neck profile (not as thin as Page's), burstbuckers 1 and 2 and aged binding, dark ebony board.
NO aged split diamond or logo - those always look like someone pissed on the headstock - my triburst had that aged finished and it looked like ass.

According to Brett Kutter (thank YOU brother!!!) she sounds awesome. Play and tone are in the hands of the beholder...but she should land in SoCal this week.

So...for anyone "considering" a Gibson CUSTOM SHOP order....well, I'll let you guys know. Suffice to say that it was NOT a 1 year wait, and the boys in Nashville were super cool about putting up with me and my (diva-like) requests.

SHOUTS out to Mr. Brett Kutter over at Eddies Guitars in St. Louis. AWESOME service, fast turnaround, and KILLER dude to work with. I will deal with the mid-west N-E time. NY and LA have NOTHING on this store.:applause::applause::thumb:

guitarbob123

Reaction score
If it's anything like mine then that's going to be an amazing guitar. Congrats! Bret''s the best to buy from.

Played my guitar with my schools Big band today and it sounded great. Got a compliment from a girl I like saying that "You're insane at guitar" It's not all me!

eddyrox

Reaction score
If it's anything like mine then that's going to be an amazing guitar. Congrats! Bret''s the best to buy from.

Played my guitar with my schools Big band today and it sounded great. Got a compliment from a girl I like saying that "You're insane at guitar" It's not all me!

compliments from girls = touchdown and 2 point conversion:applause::naughty:

LOVE that!

eddyrox

Reaction score
Nothing like dealing with a humble midwesterner :)

Thanks for the excellent write-up Mike, it was my pleasure (and that is seriously a killer, killer job... Gibson knocked this one right out of the park!).

Brett, YOU ROCK brutha. Again, all the big headed sales people on BOTH coasts should take a lesson from the midwestern boys on how to make customers feel like a rock star. Simple things like following up, checking in, and oh, here's a new one - doing what you said you'd do - goes a million miles for repeat business. :cheers::bowdown

Sum1 Else

Reaction score
That is one fine Custom. Congrats.

I have heard about this Brett guy, momma always said,
don't trust people that wear suspenders.

InkedLester

Drippin with Blues Blood
Reaction score
Awesome. When you're ready to trade for a 2011 R7 in Kerry Green let me know. :)

eddyrox

Reaction score
I keep it real. I've always had the mentality of... "I really don't see whats so hard about this." I guess my Mom teaching me the life lesson of treating people how you would want to be treated and being honest goes a long way. Especially in the music industry where the polar opposites of that are the typical. And honestly, I liked working with you since day one. You always respected what I had to say (or at least heard me out) and together, I think we have mustered up a pretty excellent guitar. The thing that I wish a lot of people understood better is that your small-shop guys like me, are not out to get you. We don't work off commission, and we want to help (at least in my case). You are a good man, a good/suportive customer, and I honestly consider you a friend. Seriously, if your ever near Saint Louis or Alton, IL (my hometown) beers on me.

Thank you so much for the shout-outs. I can't wait for you to receive it, you will lose yourself when you play your first chord on it.

Brutha, it's a date!:hmm::wow::laugh2:

eddyrox

Reaction score
OK, so she landed in So Cal about 1.5 hours ago. Have NOT plugged her in yet, because I've been so blown back by her acoustic tones. She has an attack (that probably the new strings) but not in a "snap" (e.g. maple top) way - it's articulate but pronounced in the lower and higher mid-timbres. Neck is F*CKING amazing. I've not experienced a LPC with this kind of playability - and I had a 68LPC RI (the Guitar Center version with the slim taper neck). She weighs in at a sparse 9.2lbs, and sustains (acoustically like a great Gibson -for days!!)

IMG01419-20110916-1250.jpg

IMG01420-20110916-1250.jpg

IMG01422-20110916-1251.jpg

So now here's where it gets interesting - this is a BB 57 HRI LPC. BUT is this a ONE piece mahogany body???

IMG01412-20110916-1213.jpg

IMG01414-20110916-1215.jpg

IMG01415-20110916-1222.jpg

IMG01418-20110916-1223.jpg

Thank you again to Brett Kutter @ Eddies in St. Louis. The guy's so attentive, he even called me after checking UPS and seeing she was delivered!
I have never had such service. Customer for life over here in LA!!
m.

eddyrox

Reaction score
We'll figure this out!!! **plugs hair-dryer in**
JUST KIDDING! :)
Enjoy it man. That was a killer build.

Forgot to mention that the ebony's as black as night (great selection Nashville!), and the non-aged split-diamond came out fantastic. BUT the best part is the asymmetrical 1960 Beano neck. It is a DEAD RINGER for the EC 1960 Signature. I just pulled out the EC and compared the 2. DEAD ON.:applause::thumb:
The Gibson Custom Shop hit a HOME RUN on this one!
m.

jamman

Reaction score
Congrats on your NGD . That's great with that neck. Next, tone report please. The 57's with the Mahogany tops are a little darker sounding, and I for 1 would like to know how the Slim neck effects the tone on it . Great guitar man.

The orginals had a 1 piece body 1 piece top = 2 pieces your both right .

Latest Threads