NGD- 1955 custom disappointment

Cowboydan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post on this site but I have been browsing here for quite some time. As of the time of this post I have just received the Epiphone 1955 Les Paul Custom. I opened the box excited to get my first Epiphone after exclusively owning Gibsons and MIA Fenders. I always hear people spout about Epiphone and chinese quality control and how it even beats Gibson USA, well that is a lie. I am not against Epiphone as I wanted a cheap guitar to take to jam sessions, but this one really let me down. I did purchase from Sweetwater so hopefully they will make this right, but they did look at the guitar and still choose to send it to me, another can of worms I guess.

Pros of the guitar: The neck profile is amazing, perfect if you like chunky necks. The ratio of the tuners are pretty good. The hardware is ok quality, I probably wouldn't replace the bridge and tailpiece. The finish is cool.

CONS: The nut is horrible quality and binds the strings, along with being way too tall. The nut was not seated properly! I don't know if this guitar was returned to sweetwater or what but there is some strange business going on with the nut. There is epoxy on top of the inlays. Finally, there is a massive gouge on the end of the fretboard.

I know that $800 is considered a cheap guitar, but $800 is a lot of money to be sent defective merchandise. This is coming from a guy who owns a custom shop Gibson.

Here is a link to the imgur album with the pics, bonus pics of my Gibson for comparison:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Friday afternoon build there, mine has no issues. I hope they exchange it for a more typical example.

Cowboydan

Reaction score
Honestly, I am pretty baffled that they would use good pickups, etc, then slop the guitar together. A good build of this model has potential to be an amazing guitar.

I was so upset when I saw the guitar that I rage typed the first post.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Totally understandable, these are great when they get 'em right.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
So you were expecting this epiphone to be like a Custom Shop Gibson. :hmm::hmm:

Said that, mine it's pretty good, I'd say flawless....but no... Isn't even close to a Custom Shop Gibson, whatever you read on the interwebz. :)

elephantrider

Reaction score
mine is no custom shop either, but it's pretty dang flawless. send that thing back and get a replacement.

Norton

Reaction score
The nut seating doesn’t look nearly as bad as the blow out on the neck binding. That should pretty much make the guitar a 2nd.

Of course it’s an easy fix. Either sand it smooth or drop fill it with some superglue mixed with binding dust.

Cowboydan

Reaction score
To be fair the price point of an American standard strat isn’t too much higher than the 1955 custom, but I’ve played many of them that can rival the Gibson custom shop.

I expected that the hardware may be of lesser quality on the epiphone, but not the finish. Especially when I have seen squiers finished as well as fenders. If machines CNC these epiphones how did it mess up that nut slot?

I’ll try to give one more of these a shot.

sasquatch

Reaction score
Dang mine came with a bad switch, but nothing else wrong. The guitar as a whole is remarkable. Still love it two years later

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
That's the problem with ordering stuff like this through the mail.
Sounds like you got shipped a lemon.

Where did you purchase it from?
Hope you purchased from a reputable dealer with a good return policy.

Cowboydan

Reaction score
It was purchased from Sweetwater, it’s already on its way back to them. They are sending a replacement.

Apparently the sales engineer who inspected my guitar before shipment quit right after it shipped. So we will see how things go with the replacement.

One thought, if these did come out a while back, maybe all that’s left is lemons.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’ve owned one of these before and they’re great guitars for the coin.. I wasn’t a fan of the neck shape. I like a chunky neck but just the shape just didn’t jive with me I guess.. sounded great though. I gotten mine used so I can’t chime in as far as fresh out of the box ... I didn’t find any issue with it though even it being used.

Troy McClure

Reaction score
That nut does look sloppy , wouldn't surprise me if it's been replaced as generally guitars are finished with the nut in place and that one has no finish on it and the fit is awful in the album photos from the other side.

The height of the nut is basically aesthetic, strings bind because the slot's not wide enough or cut to a V at the bottom not because there's extra height or air above them.

Hopefully the replacement is better quality

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
You are doing the right thing. Get in touch with your contact at Sweetwater and explane your specific concerns. And, an $800 Epi is not a cheap guitar. You deserve much more than what they originally sent you. My Epi LP Custom Pro is equal to any of my Gibson models, it just happens to sound and play like all the rest.
Also I should not that the SW guys have always gone out of their way to get me taken care of.

Cowboydan

Reaction score
Sweetwater is working with me, but they want to wait until the guitar gets back to them before they ship the replacement out. I shipped it on Wednesday and it won’t arrive until the 16th. So it will have been a 3 week process to get a guitar.

I know the binding and height are not related. But when fretting the 3rd fret there is .022” of clearance between the 1st fret and low E. It’s more than double what it should be.

Nuts are easily fixed though, I will be putting a tusq xl on anyways. I can get a nut perfectly seated without all the scratches though.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sweetwater is working with me, but they want to wait until the guitar gets back to them before they ship the replacement out. I shipped it on Wednesday and it won’t arrive until the 16th. So it will have been a 3 week process to get a guitar.

I know the binding and height are not related. But when fretting the 3rd fret there is .022” of clearance between the 1st fret and low E. It’s more than double what it should be.

Nuts are easily fixed though, I will be putting a tusq xl on anyways. I can get a nut perfectly seated without all the scratches though.
I have put a tusq on mine, but wasnt an easy task, as the pocket its very deep and needed a shim. Stock nut its pure garbage.

Cowboydan

Reaction score
PierM, your photos made this thread amazing.

Unfortunately, the sales engineer at Sweetwater said when looking at the replacement it had similar chipping on the fretboard.

I canceled my order and am now saving up for a Gibson 50’s original collection les Paul standard.

You guys who got these when they were fresh off the line and in good condition are lucky. I think all that’s left are defective ones.