NGD’s....3x is the “Charm”??!!!?!

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ey.....
Almost one month later from 1st order, I ordered a 2019 Gibson Les Paul classic in Honeyburst. The honeyburst and Goldtops are on “price drop” to $1699.00 at Guitar Center. Excellent deal, especially if you think you are getting a brand new guitar. Well it wasn’t, it was a floor model. For a plain top it was beautiful.. still has the plastic on the pick guard and minimal wall hanger damaged by the headstock. Had all of the case candy it was supposed to come with. Butttt...While getting the dirty old strings off the guitar and putting new ones on...I noticed four splinter-gouges on the fretboard, fourth fret. Nope...couldn’t do it. Contacted my local guitar center and they tried to find me a new “in-box” replacement. Couldn’t find one. So I figured I would upgrade to a 2019 Traditional in Tobaccoburst. Price drop at $2129. Excellent deal again, if it was “brand new“. And again, naïve me figured I would get a brand new one.
Ok....This one had a broken switch-tip in the case... incredibly bad wall-hanger damage at the headstock into the wood, sloppy binding on the body by the pickup switch, pick Swirls/scratches all over the body, missing case candy, The pick guard was already installed (do not come installed on Traditionals) which was an obvious indicator that this guitar was used/sold previously, and a noticeable indentation on the body by the volume and tone controls. Also looked like black marker under the nitro by the tone controls.
What a basket case.
I received that guitar today...I immediately called guitar center and set up a return for Monday at my local guitar center. They also secured one of the last “brand new factory sealed“ Tobacco burst Traditionals for me in existence. Once I return the guitar that I have, they are express shipping me the new one direct.
Why am I putting up with this you ask? Because I have a gear card and the final deal that I am getting with 0% financing for 36 months is very very good. But if this one is bad?!?! I just don’t know. A shame that Gibson let these guitars out, a shame GC dares sell them new or “as new”.
There is no substitute though, and I am patient. Here’s to replacement this week being a good one.

Last edited:

Frozen Rat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think Gibson let them out that way. I think GC is sending you stuff off the wall that's been handled. They go get the ladder, retrieve it, find the box and the case (if you're lucky it's the right case, but it's 50-50 on that one) and then ship it to you. Anything they sell, even if it's been out 44 days and returned, even several times, is called "new." You're wise to have them find one that hasn't been out of the box yet, because those first two surely were.

Rozman62

Reaction score
Hope this one pans out for you. I had a Large GC gift card 2 years ago from my wife. I found a mint 2016 used Honeyburst Std 15' up and bought it. I did replace all electronic and pups. My wife bought me a used 2017 Blueberry burst that shipped off the west coast. Shows up with no case wrapped in 30' of bubble wrap. Supposed to be in excellent condition...far from it. Returned the hunk of crap. 2 days later it's for sale in excellent condition hanging on a hook for the same price.I ended up getting a 2019 traditional blueberry burst. I will never buy another instrument from GC. I've had good luck with Sweetwater.

scozz

Reaction score
Oh man I’m sorry to hear all this @needlespauls ,.....I recall the beautiful top one you returned ,...was it last month?,.....that didn’t work out for you.

Sweetwater is just about the best place to buy, those folks bend over backwards to please their customers!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I hope it works out for you this time.

I've heard these stories several times about GC and MF. Back in the spring another member here and I bought 2018 SG Specials from MF as Stupid Deal of the Day. Mine was new in a sealed box but his had been returned previously. Luckily his was still in excellent condition and the previous buyer had put a plain TRC on it and new knobs as well, and the originals were in the gig bag, lol!

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that sucks,i thought gibson had improved.
I know....it’s one of those “it’s so handmade...can’t expect perfection” kinds of things I guess. If Gibson makes 2 out of 10 that are “meh” as far as overall fit and finish goes...and GC accepts those 2 “meh” guitars...and keeps selling them...meanwhile all the good ones sell and are kept by customers, this is what happens. That first one I got was a gorgeous instrument...just perfect. Exceeeept for these big splinter milling chips in the rosewood. Ugh what a shame.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh man I’m sorry to hear all this @needlespauls ,.....I recall the beautiful top one you returned ,...was it last month?,.....that didn’t work out for you.

Sweetwater is just about the best place to buy, those folks bend over backwards to please their customers!
Thanks man...
I didn’t actually officially post on the first one cuz I took a couple days to decide to return it. It was the plain top classic
C09D96D1-3499-4B7D-AAF4-1060077B3A27.jpeg

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
Any other reputable dealer would have sent that back to Gibson the moment they received it. Sure, it never should have left the factory. However, GC never should have shipped it either.

moreles

Reaction score
Why are you blaming Gibson for GC's pawning off of worn floor models as new? Either you aren't reading the fine print, or they're scamming, but either way it should be easy to resolve. If they are advertised as new, then you get a new one and if none are available, you either walk or "buy up" for a new -- as in new, which means new, not used/floor -- at a huge discount. Sounds like GC is trying to unload worn guitars as new, or you are misinterpreting the description of the merchandise involved. Getting s floor model as "new" is a pretty serious scam, if that's what happened, and I'd hammer GC for it. It stinks.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why are you blaming Gibson for GC's pawning off of worn floor models as new? Either you aren't reading the fine print, or they're scamming, but either way it should be easy to resolve. If they are advertised as new, then you get a new one and if none are available, you either walk or "buy up" for a new -- as in new, which means new, not used/floor -- at a huge discount. Sounds like GC is trying to unload worn guitars as new, or you are misinterpreting the description of the merchandise involved. Getting s floor model as "new" is a pretty serious scam, if that's what happened, and I'd hammer GC for it. It stinks.
It’s definitely a combination of Gibson and GC. Gibson shouldn’t have signed off on these guitars in the first place.....they ship them to GC, GC sells and ships them...or puts them right up on the wall not giving an S what kind of defects they might have. They don’t seem to have a “dent and scratch” or floor model situation....or a “2nd”.
I’m buying these guitars with a “Price Drop” designation. Price Drop is a permanent price setting until the guitars are gone. I asked my salesman and his manager if I would still be getting a brand new factory sealed box with the guitar in the case, minty fresh. I was told yes. BUT...I put the order in and internally GC’s system scans for any available guitar in their data base. Doesn’t discriminate floor models or returns. You absolutely wouldn’t believe how used the second guitar was. I looked closer at it today and noticed a ton of buckle-rash on the back. I would have to say this guitar was gigged several times before it was returned. Unbelievable.
So this last time I dealt with the main customer service line and they say they have secured an unopened fresh tobaccoburst Tradional for me...we’ll see when it comes in.
If it’s not?!?! I’m gonna take down the whole house...I’ll be expecting an Original 50’s Standard at the price I paid for the Tradional...and I will get pick of the litter. That’s how that’ll go down.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just checked GC’s page...so they do offer “blemished” and “open-box” items at a reduced price. Weird how that’s what I was receiving as “brand new” guitars.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Stay posted....new “interesting info” potentially in minutes.....
Update...
Might have a gorgeous 2019 Original 60’s in Bourbonburst tomorrow...

Last edited:

TorzJohnson

Reaction score
What a pain. Good luck with the Bourbonburst.

I've been in your shoes before, I had to return a "brand new" SG that had a drumstick-shaped dent in the top horn. That was from AMS though, not GC. I've bought a lot of guitars since then... but none from AMS.