NG/GD 4 Roberteaux

mapache

Reaction score
NICE! You gonna do Dick Dale-esque surf instrumentals, now?

And drinking quarts of cabernet sauvingnon? You gotta move outta the box wine realm, brother! :D

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bob. Sell the Banjocaster! Now!!! :naughty: :D :dude:

You're just jealous because he's tall enough to play one without looking like a chihuahua humping a mastiff. Besides, it's a Barfburst, one of the rarest and most prized finishes in all of guitardom. :thumb:

Rankelson

Reaction score
I am Not a massive Fan of Fender Aesthetics,Rob
But that strat is as pretty as a Laguna Sunrise
Love it Fella
Congrats :D

Rawhdney

Reaction score
Very nice Rob, you look stoked!
Your collection looks great, lots of reds and bursts, good stuff!!

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
good choice, man. A strat with buckers is like a duck with hooves.

duck+plus+horse+for+america.jpg

Roberteaux

Broken Dog
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
First and most importantly, I would like to thank all my MLP brothers and sisters for their kind words and thoughts. This last year and a half has been a real mind bender for me-- a time of transformations unexpected, with results I could never have imagined-- and you folks have been a VERY big part of it.

Many of you have poured over into my real life to become better friends, and that is a joy to me. Yet others have caused me to change my mind about things that I once felt were indisputable; and then there were some who validated ideas that I was previously unsure of. It's been a wonderful, but very strange trip to be a member of this site and paddle through the goop with people such as yourselves providing me with a running commentary on so many things...

One of these days I am gonna tell you guys what happened when Mudfinger asked me to do him a small favor while in New Orleans. His request turned into an epic sort of two-day affair involving startled tourists, the New Orleans Police Department, and a disapproving busker who would only green-light my activities after I provided him with a full and sufficient explanation of why I was doing was I was doing.

This affair was a real ringer when it comes to bizarre episodes of the most enjoyable type-- and I pray that it will be will be one the fond memories that I will take with me into the sunset... and yet, this is just one of many nuggets of joy that I have received as a direct result of associating with you, my friends. I couldn't thank any of you enough... :)

YOU GUYS ROCK! :dude:

Anyway: hating to bump my own thread-- but unable to resist-- there were a few comments that I'd like to respond to:

congrats!!!! i love the grain on that thing!

There were actually two specimens of the same guitar with this finish on hand in the shop; I grabbed this particular one because the other one had a grain pattern that was completely linear, which gave it a piecemeal sort of appearance somehow... as if it had been glued together from strips...

Here are a couple of closeups for you. Sorry about the haze in the pictures... the sky above Deland is overcast today, but that guitar is so glossy that the camera picked up a powdery blue-gray reflection of the wraps on my guitar stand anyway...

strat2.jpg

strat3.jpg

You'll probably find you get on with the Strat better now you've been playing acoustic. They'll both stop dead on you if you flub a note but a Strat rewards precision with a clarity of voice that HBs can't ever quite manage.

That is an acute observation! For sure, I found the last four months of playing (mainly) acoustic to have been challenging, precisely in the way you described. But the reward is indeed to be found in the sheer beauty of a perfectly formed note or chord as it is strummed or picked. It's somewhat the same with the gibbys... but I would tend to agree that the strat and my acoustic are far less forgiving when something's not quite right...

...you're doomed I tell you, doomed.

:laugh2: Just gotta tell ya, brother: I actually knew I was doomed from the first instant that the inexpicable and uncontrollable urge to play the guitar blew a huge hole in the concrete wall of my previously moribund consciousness. I was just sitting there, brain idling complacently while thinking of nothing at all, when POW! All of a sudden, I had to play the guitar! :dunno:

Those who have known me for a very long time who would tell you that I was a truly calculating, very deliberate sort of individual-- a real schemer, and not the sort of person who took any type of bait easily. But when the urge to play guitar came upon me, it was as if a gong had sounded somewhere... I distinctly remember that tell-tale sensation I have felt in the past on rare occasions, which indicates that change is upon me; it was as though the gears of my life had shifted once again, and that nothing would ever be the same.

Turns out that I was right about that, too. :)

that[/B] sound.

Thanks for the compliments, Rich! As to that sound: I have to agree, there's nothing else quite like it... :)

Thanks also for the information with regard to the use of a humbucker while playing a live performance. Though I am just a beginner and may never even be in a band, it's always interesting to me to absorb the observations of guys who actually perform live music. Through you and several of the others, I slowly managed to figure out that this is another world, all its own...

I LOVE that picture of you. You are BEAMING!

Heya, Tim! :wave:

I sure was a happy kind of guy, eh? Here I would add that this is one of only a very few photos of me actually smiling-- there are some who would suggest that I was incapable of doing so to begin with-- but I do it all the time these days, and not just when I get a new guitar.

I got more than a couple of my clues from you, Tim... you're right when you say that if one wants to be happier in life, then one necessarily needs to start by thinking in a happier sort of way.

Thanks, brother! :D

Bob. Sell the Banjocaster! Now!!! :naughty: :D :dude:

John, I hope to mollify you by explaining that I did at least equip the banjo barfcaster with your patented .003 gauge strings. Makes bends so much easier! :laugh2:

But the coupon for free chips was expired!

That's one of the nicest-looking Strats I've ever seen. Makes me realize I'll have to relent and get one someday. Somewhere out there, there's a Strat with my name on it, and a Tele with yours. All we're lacking to be well-rounded individuals is to find them.

Thanks, Riv', and I think what you're saying is prolly the truth! Fact is that I actually was thinking about getting a tele for the last couple of months, but was encouraged by Sonar's recent statement of appreciation for his new strat to just go ahead and get a replacement for the first one.

I went to pick up a couple of guitar stands at the store-- needed one for the acoustic, and one for the new strat-- and found that they had a buy two, get one free deal going with them.

I mumbled, "Well that's a good deal, even if I don't need a third stand..."

And the salesman-- he who has sold me six guitars so far-- snickered, "Oh, don't worry about that, Robert. Trust me: you'll be needing another one before you know it!" :naughty:

NICE! You gonna do Dick Dale-esque surf instrumentals, now?

Damn! What are you, a mindreader? :laugh2:

Thanks again to everyone! :wave:

--R :)

Ed B

Reaction score
I love it!!

My first Strat was a Sienna. I traded it because I was so into my LP at the time. Silly of me.

Mexicanbreed

Reaction score
Most people will tell you that you either need a full hollowbody (jazzbox), or a Les Paul Jr., or a Tele. Fine choices all of them.

I propose you need a nylon stringed acoustic.

Brazilian-Rosewood-Classical-Guitar.jpg

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
Awesome man. I used to have one with that finish but couldnt take the white PG. I put a tortise shell PG and man it was badass. Wish I still had it. I think I have a photo in my albums if you wanna get an idea what it would look like.

Chicago John

Reaction score
Nice strat, Rob, well balanced collection all around, and BTW, I'm a 339 addict, too :dude:

rjshare

Reaction score
nice family you got going there now! good buy and always nice to see someone looking happy

to slightly derail the thread a little - what are your thoughts on your blackstar?

i need an amp and a ht-20 studio seem like what i will get (it's on ice at the moment though cos we just bought a second appartment that i am renovating - not much spare cash hanging around right now, but i WILL get there eventually!)

Davet

Reaction score
ETA at Davet: that is one of the two cabinets I am sizing up as a replacement for the two fizzy 10's in the picture I posted. But yeah, man: I think you are gonna love this amp!

Get a 212! Mine came today and it sounds boss. I may swap the speakers out but I'll give em a chance to break in first.

Roberteaux

Broken Dog
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I propose you need a nylon stringed acoustic.

Here, I must admit my ignorance... I am not sure exactly what this type of acoustic is actually good for. I have always heard them described as "classical" acoustic guitars... but even though I do a lot of finger picking, I'm not certain as to what the advantage of them might be and such... is it just that they sound a certain way, or is there some advantage when it comes to various types of techniques?

Perhaps you or somebody else would care to enlighten me? Thanks in advance! :)

I think I have a photo in my albums if you wanna get an idea what it would look like.

Sure Neil, I'd love to have a look at it. I was sort of trying to envision what the one I have would look like with a black pickguard and simply couldn't come up with a picture of it in my head...

I'll have a look at your album, then! Thanks! :)

Nice strat, Rob, well balanced collection all around, and BTW, I'm a 339 addict, too :dude:

Are you kidding me? :shock:

Seriously? John: I thought I was the Lone Ranger when it came to the 339... couldn't even find anybody famous who actually plays one, but figured it was due to the fact that the guitar is a fairly recent model, whereas Gibson is concerned. I really do love mine...

Nice to know I'm not the only one who favors this particular ax! :h5:

...to slightly derail the thread a little - what are your thoughts on your blackstar?

No derailment at all, bud... :D

I love mine! Actually, I loved my HT-5, too... just, it didn't have quite enough power to suit me. I already have two bedroom amps that I can dime at night without being cited for a noise complaint, and that's fine. But during the daytime, I sometimes really love to play at a fairly loud volume, because it forces me to be a bit more precise when it comes to muting strings during lead riffs with bends and so forth... you really learn to get control of all six strings like that. But also, I admit that I just kind of like to play pretty LOUD sometimes anyway...

So the HT-20 was perfect for my needs. I do not perform live, and so I didn't need but so many decibels at my command, but by the same token I needed more volume with less fizz and that's what the HT-20 head has given me. It is essentially about the same as the HT-5 is when it comes to tones and the nature of its controls, but with an added reverb and a whole lot of extra ass. Frankly, I can't see myself playing this thing full blast under any circumstances...

Next I think that I'm going to get a new cab for the new HT-20, though... I figure 2x12 will be better with this head than the two tenners I have, which have already come across as being unsatisfactory.

I was looking at both the Marshall 1936 cab, which is pricey, and then the Blackstar HTV-212, which is more reasonably priced. But today, somebody called me to tell me that he knows some guy with a Marshall 1960A cabinet who is willing to let it go for 350 bucks. Supposedly this cabinet is only a couple of years old and the guy has receipts, so I am gonna look into it...

Not that I really need a cabinet with four twelves in it. But for that matter, I didn't really need a Fender with 4 tens in it either... just, the price was too right to refuse and so I grabbed it. A bit too much is usually better than not enough... of course, in reality my 60-watt Fender is MUCH too much!

Gear! It's a curse and I barely know my way around it yet... :laugh2:

Best of luck to ya, RJ! :thumb:

You have chosen wisely.

Thanks Nicky! For sure, I do love this guitar... been playin' it all day and night... it is a very versatile beast, that's for sure. A real sweetheart.

--R :)

Mexicanbreed

Reaction score
You´ve had this babe for over a week now, Robert. I for one would like to hear your impressions on her.

Roberteaux

Broken Dog
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You´ve had this babe for over a week now, Robert. I for one would like to hear your impressions on her.

Well, I sure do like 'er! :D

Your Idol just purchased one, and in his thread I was saying that one of the things I *really* like about it is that it lends itself admirably to finger-picking. Unlike the LP's, which have way too much sustain for that purpose, and unlike the 335/339's which are somewhat better (but not as good as the Stratocaster), you can pick with the Stratocaster and it sounds really wonderful.

I also love the clarity of tone off the bridge pickup, as well as the iconic Hendrix-esque tones one can produce off the neck pup... as we all know, these are not do-able using a lester...

I like the slightly tremulous tone of its voice. Other guys don't, and like to pin the bridge, but I'm not all that fond of the sound of a pinned Stratocaster. Sounds a lil' bit dead to me...

I have both a Fender Hot Rod Deville and a Blackstar HT-20 (with a couple of tenners to pump it through) and have found that the Stratocaster sounds great with either amp. Nothing is quite so crystal-clean as a Fender through a Fender, that's for sure. And through the Blackstar, I can create all kinds of howls and shrieks-- especially off the bridge pup. She can be a real screamer, if you dial your amp in just right...

The neck is well-suited to my hand, and the scale is close enough to the 339 that I don't have to gawk at my fretboard constantly so I don't lose my place.

And I just love the looks of this guitar. It really is a pretty one.

I'm a happy kind of guy!

--R :thumb:

ETA: Last night I was noodling around and teaching myself how to play Touch of Grey by the Grateful Dead and found that I could produce about the same tone by running the guitar through a Fender Champion 600 amp and running the neck and middle pup with tone turned down somewhat. That made me very happy. :)

Job-Job type Job

Reaction score
Well done. I'm a tad envious over here. I want my NGD!!! Well done. That's a great looking Strat! Good call going with the S-S-S, it's a good flavor.

Latest Threads