NG Coming Soon - 70s Univox Gimme U1987 Ebony

Les Paul John

Reaction score
I was looking over used guitars on the Guitar Center website and saw a Japanese Les Paul copy talked about in here once in a while. I remember seeing one in a local pawn shop here in Maine when I was a young 16 yr old in the mid 80s. I saw it selling for $199 with hard case, don’t know if original case or not, so I said what the heck.

If you don’t know me I do some luthier work so this may be a fun resto. Someone already replaced the pickups and tuners ... to what, who the heck knows.

The guitar ad only had 2 pictures, these are they. I searched Reverb and saw three listed for $400 and up and surprised because usually a bolt on goes for cheaps.

Looks like a piece of binding missing on the back side at the neck joint plus plenty of dings and chips. I’m hoping for a neat fun guitar with 40 yrs of relic. The headstock has chips and dents, doesn’t look like any cracks etc.

Questions I have are easy ones like .... is the truss rod still trussin’ and do I need to do a refret etc.

Anyway, when it arrives I’ll post up the photos and what needs to be done.

B6DBC6B6-7B86-4B7A-8B41-F1CBF05F3FD3.jpeg
664419CE-897E-4A22-A7D6-D7775934D54F.jpeg

BE8886DE-CA29-4CFA-87C4-0B5017785B8E.jpeg

kaputme

Reaction score
Wow double repeat on the " solid body electric " part

endial

Reaction score
These guitars somehow always get my attention too. That price is right, and if it's a "challenge", all the more fun. You'll have a real player on your hands when it's done.

Les Paul John

Reaction score
These guitars somehow always get my attention too. That price is right, and if it's a "challenge", all the more fun. You'll have a real player on your hands when it's done.
I’m hoping for a decent player ... we shall see! The price was right ... it’s 40+ yrs old.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
There's a certain "aura" around Japanese Les Paul models
but they were not all created equal...
Some of them a real doozies and not worth much.
Others bring nice features.

$199 is the right price for this bolt-on one but don't expect the Holy Grail of guitars there.
:D

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Awesome I love Univox stuff. Looks like real grovers, Bet those are dimarzios! But even the MIJ "counterfeit" Dimarzios out around that time sound pretty good

Les Paul John

Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project for you. Be sure to update us as you go. I always enjoy seeing those threads.
Totally took a virtually unseen chance on it ... $200 isn't a lot of money. I'll make it work ... pretty much anything can be fixed.

Les Paul John

Reaction score
Awesome I love Univox stuff. Looks like real grovers, Bet those are dimarzios! But even the MIJ "counterfeit" Dimarzios out around that time sound pretty good
I'll know more when I pull the pickups out and have a look see. Interestingly we recently got a white Ibanez that someone had changed the pickups in and there were two DiMarzio Steve Vai models in it. I like it when someone changes the pickups for something good and not some mediocre stuff.

If these pickups are so so I have a Seymour Duncan Pearly gates bridge pickup here that is ironically very reliced naturally.

Last edited:

Les Paul John

Reaction score
There's a certain "aura" around Japanese Les Paul models
but they were not all created equal...
Some of them a real doozies and not worth much.
Others bring nice features.

$199 is the right price for this bolt-on one but don't expect the Holy Grail of guitars there.
:D

I'm sure it needs work ... recently bought plenty of fret wire sets should it need it. I'm more interested in the truss rod working properly more than anything else.