Next question

Elrathia

Reaction score
I put my decal rigt smack dab under the string retainer and buried it under 8 coats of clear. So….. can I use a rag soaked in acetone
to expose the decal? Relocate and shoot more clear to bury it again?
484DE914-FF8C-47C8-B48E-927B550703D6.jpeg

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i think that is a dangerous proposition, as you will be able to control removing lacquer much better with sanding, but the decal is toast. don't see how it will survive acetone

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Yeah, if it's a waterslide decal, there's zero chance of getting it off in less than a billion pieces.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
and even worse, generally, the waterslides i'm familiar with are lacquer based and actually melt into the finish as it's buried with lacquer. i generally dampen a q-tip with lacquer thinner and ever so slightly touch the edges of the decal after it's dried to melt the hard edge a tad to help ease the hard line when burying it with top coats. they are extremely fragile to boot.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Live with it under the string tree, or strip it down and start over with a fresh, new decal.

Only 2 choices.

pshupe

Reaction score
You could also slide the string tree towards the nut and miss the logo. There are two sizes and if you could find a piece of similar material you could get the correct height. That should work fine.

Cheers Peter.

Elrathia

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, not trying to save the decal, I’ll reapply in the correct spot after I get this one removed. So, sand or acetone?

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
use a block to minimize rounding over the edge of the headstock. on small areas, i use a small piece of gum rubber sanding belt cleaner. you can cut it on a bandsaw if you are careful, as it grabs in the blade and can pull your hand, so be careful and not cut a small piece from a large piece if that's the route you go. use fine papers, like 320 or so and finish with 400 or 600 before recoating. once again, stay away from the edges as much as possible so you don't sand through. it's easy to do....or so i'm told....:fingersx:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i meant to say...be sure and cut a small piece from a large piece, so you have an adequate grip on it.

Elrathia

Reaction score
Thanks again to all. I learn from my mistakes, you folks show me how.

Latest Threads