Next Gibson Les Paul After 20 +yrs

Which LP ?

• Total voters

syco

Reaction score
Thinking of getting another Gibson LP . 1st one I ever owned was an Ebony 1998 Standard . Due to youth, ignorance and life , I parted ways with that guitar in 2002 . In the last 20 years I have slowly gotten back into playing guitar and I am currently up to 16 Epiphone LP's and 1 Squire Strat . This will probably be the only Gibson I will own for the rest of my life , so I would like to pick your brains / get your opinions on the choices I am considering . I've narrowed it down to 6 choices . You will only see 4 above , because the 50's and 60's have different tops . Any info you can provide that can't be found on the Gibson LP page is greatly appreciated , especially pertaining to neck profile . Thanks for your time and an experience you can share .

I know some will say go try them out . I live in Oklahoma . I have 3 Guitar Centers . 2 are 50 miles in opposite directions . 3rd is 2.5 hours away . And none of them have the guitars I am interested in .

Last edited:

Tollie

Reaction score
I had a large collection of guitars until one day I decided that I would like “fewer but nicer”. You could turn that pile of Epiphones into several Gibson Les Pauls.

I voted for the 50s because I like the fatter neck. It just feels very comfortable, like your hand is more open.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I had a large collection of guitars until one day I decided that I would like “fewer but nicer”. You could turn that pile of Epiphones into several Gibson Les Pauls.

I voted for the 50s because I like the fatter neck. It just feels very comfortable, like your hand is more open.
The poster could get rid of a bunch of Epis into A Gibson LP and still keep a few Epis.

syco

Reaction score

I like the thicker necks myself , but I don't quite have a " bead " on how Gibson classifies their necks , so hoping some of ya'll might be able to clarify .

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plain top Classics call me.
Strictly my opinion.

syco

Reaction score
The poster could get rid of a bunch of Epis into A Gibson LP and still keep a few Epis.
But that is a possibility . I'll start with 1 and see where that goes .

JMP

Reaction score
I’d get one of the ebony Standards directly from Gibson……then down size all those Epiphone guitars, put the cash toward an amazing amp.

syco

Reaction score
I’d get one of the ebony Standards directly from Gibson……then down size all those Epiphone guitars, put the cash toward an amazing amp.
1 step at a time .

LTigh

Reaction score
I probably won't be able to convince you with words, since this is something you can only experience for yourself, but saying "the only Gibson I will own for the rest of my life" is just tempting fate. But hey, It's your fate to tempt.

Anyhoo, my 2 cents: Skip the Classic, Skip the Slash. Unless you can't live without a plain top, open coils, "switching options," and weight relief (Classic), or want an up-charged Standard '50s missing a pickguard with funky Gibby-made APH-2 knockoffs and weird finishes with a funky doodle on the back of the headstock (Slash). Unless you're a Slash fan, but keep in mind the Slash Standard is nothing like the older Slash Signatures or the AFD Les Paul, just a re-skinned Standard '50s for $400 extra.

Myself, I couldn't decide between the Standard '60s or Standard '50s, so I wound up getting both (albeit at a significant discount since I was willing to forgo getting a shiny new sparkly).
WDUDqPB.jpg

OcacqwS.jpg

Top: Standard '60s in Burbon Burst. Bottom: Standard '50s in Heritage Cherry Sunburst

Edit: If you ARE a Slash fan and want something close to the old Slash Sigs, go for the Standard '60s, since they have the slim-taper necks of the Sigs and the AFD. The current Slash Standard has the chonky '50s neck.

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aww man. Only one. I would say it has to be a classic, no pun intended, finish.

My 2 cents...

If you like fat necks, then a Standard 50's, probably Gold Top would be #1.
If you like thin necks, then either a Standard 60's in Iced Tea, or a Classic, in Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I know some will say go try them out . I live in Oklahoma . I have 3 Guitar Centers . 2 are 50 miles in opposite directions . 3rd is 2.5 hours away . And none of them have the guitars I am interested in .
Go to Guitar House of Tulsa! They have a ton of great stuff and they move enough volume to have badass gear come through on the regular. I was there hunting a Robin Fleetwood about four years ago. It was very nearly as good as Gruhn's in Nashville. It rocks!

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
If it is all about having "one Les Paul", then get a Les Paul Standard and call it a day. If you prefer a fatter neck, get a Std 50. If your prefer a more slim neck, then get a Std 60 (my personal choice). Even though I prefer the 60s both are killer. If you do prefer the slimmer neck and want to also save a few bucks, you can get a Classic which is very close to a Std 60 as it has the same pickups. There are some different features between the Std 60 and the Classic, but both are awesome even though similar. It is also important to note that there are some special individual finishes particular to various large distributors (GC, MF, LM, CME, Wildwood, etc.) along with Gibson "exclusive" finishes not available anywhere else but Gibson.com. So, once you decide on the guitar, you likely have some additional finish choices beyond the standard offerings if you so desire. Good luck with whatever you decide.

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
My favorite Gibson Les Paul that I own is a 2018 Classic... I also own a Traditional which is great, but I just can't get attached to it. The Classic is the best playing and sounding of the bunch, but had the most QC issues, and there's a lot with Gibson.

If it was my choice - would never buy a Gibson again. Instead I'd support a better, small company (maybe there's a local custom builder?) which makes clones or straight up buy one made by a company like Heritage.

It's nice to have that one Gibson however and in your case I'd get the 50's or 60's standard, to have... well, the Standard. The differences have already been discussed here. I'd go for a 50's personally, but that's a matter of preferences.

Angelus

Reaction score
You should think about it first, the 98 Standard you had is different from the new Gibson Lp, these guitars don t sound the same... I prefer the 90s but it doesn t mean it s better, just really different to my opinion.

juanpuol

Reaction score
I voted for the Slash one. I really like my Slash goltop. I also have a Traditional that doesn't have much to envy from the Slash one, though.
If you like any of the Slash finish and a Fat neck, and a traditional construction, there is no doubt then.

jchapegs

Reaction score
Thinking of getting another Gibson LP . 1st one I ever owned was an Ebony 1998 Standard . Due to youth, ignorance and life , I parted ways with that guitar in 2002 . In the last 20 years I have slowly gotten back into playing guitar and I am currently up to 16 Epiphone LP's and 1 Squire Strat . This will probably be the only Gibson I will own for the rest of my life , so I would like to pick your brains / get your opinions on the choices I am considering . I've narrowed it down to 6 choices . You will only see 4 above , because the 50's and 60's have different tops . Any info you can provide that can't be found on the Gibson LP page is greatly appreciated , especially pertaining to neck profile . Thanks for your time and an experience you can share .

I just bought a 2022 LP Bourbon Burst 60s Standard, and I am really impressed. I do not like the fat 50s necks. I played a bunch of LPs in my search - at least ten - and they have can have significant differences in feel and tone as well as tops. The Burstbucker 61s are nice.

Latest Threads